36 replies to this topic

#21 miveson

Raid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:57 PM

Right you are about the bracket.....

I'll do some research on the 804 to determine front axle position.... easiest thing to do is use the Cartrix 804 as a guide but that makes the assumption that the Cartrix is to scale. I'll find a real picture and take some measurement.....

Thanks for the replies...... whilst it's early days I'm thoroughly enjoying it at the moment...... more body work is planned for tonight, sand the entire body and remove any excess around the driver area........

#22 dangermouse

Triple Crown Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,937 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:59 PM

Here you go Mark

http://www.ultimatec...che-804-F1.html

wheelbase of 71.875 mm I think

#23 miveson

Raid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:22 PM

thanks DM - I'll see if I can work out those dimensions to double check your data....

#24 kalbfellp

Formula 1 Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,856 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:45 AM

These 1.5 litre cars are all around the same wheelbase! Which scales to around 72mm. A couple of Ferrari are longer at 74 .5 to 75 and the early Porsche shorter.
DM measurements are correct. There is a list of all the cars and wheelbase dimensions in the VRAA resources list.
Your 804 should be 71.9 mm. Scale wheelbase. I usually build my chassis to stock 72mm.

Edited by kalbfellp, 20 January 2014 - 06:48 AM.

#25 miveson

Raid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:32 PM

I can't tell you how much I'm liking the jig.... 72mm is a doddle....

Spent about 30 minutes today soldering the chassis rails to the motor bracket and the front bracket. Fairly easy and I'm please with the front. I have to make a minor adjustment on the rear bracket as it's about 0.1mm lop sided. You can ignore the wheels and axles for now as I was checking how it would look with the wheels/gears on.

Posted Image

You can see some of the soldering skills (or lack of) below....

Posted Image

I've been busy sanding the resin down so that the brackets will fit in place. I can't quite believe how nice a fit everything is..... plenty of room for everything and it even looks relatively flat which is surprising.....

Posted Image

I'm waiting for my oilites to determine the correct position for the cutting out of the body. I've already sort the driver figure who had a terrible accident and had to have both his legs amputated below the knee - it's a cruel world particularly if your an F1 driver.........

Still plenty to do but it's getting better by the day.... I still need to source some decent tyres and decide on front/rear wheels. I'll probably end up using the same wheels/tyres as last year. I still can't believe that I didn't glue some of my tyres last year.

Anyways.... enough of my rabble.......

#26 Ember

Possible diorama queen

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,238 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:15 PM

Hopefully you should have them tomorrow Mark. They went first thing this morning.
Computers. They'll never catch on.

Posted Image

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

#27 miveson

Raid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:34 PM

Thanks Embs.... I'd like to say everything was as per the photos, in my attempts to sand the front bracket to enable the guide to freely move the sanding caused both brackets to come loose.... urgh..... all good experience......

I can see the end in sight :)

An hour a day........

#28 dangermouse

Triple Crown Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,937 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:20 PM

but how will he reach the peddles :)

looking good so far

now where is my soldering iron (actually I might need a new one - will need to do a bit of soldering for the new train track so maybe I should shout myself one)

#29 kalbfellp

Formula 1 Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,856 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:14 PM

I still have a bunch of wheels put aside here IF you need them? Might even have some fresh tyres!

#30 miveson

Raid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:26 PM

I'll let you know Phil.... some new tyres will be a must as the Dart ones are pretty ordinary..........

Damn frustrating day in the end...... trying to re-solder the rear and front brackets and finally go the rear on... it might have something to do with the hot weather and refreshments.... all good, I'll sort tomorrow morning....

#31 mattcrackers

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:07 PM

Coming along nicely Mark, I knew my first scratchbuilt chassis was soldered correctly when it survived the drop test, hitting the concrete shed floor and still held firm. You only learn from experience and will get better with every attempt.

Matt

#32 miveson

Raid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:50 PM

It's amazing what a day can do.... I was going insane yesterday evening attempting to solder the front bracket - it didn't matter how much solder I used the rail would always come free.

A good nights sleep and another attempt using a brand new bracket (one without any solder on it). I was also struggling with the liquid solder and couldn't work out why it wasn't working very well.... even after slo1quick kindly advised to pour some on a piece of stubby. Anyways, long story short I found the right way to do things, I used the liquid solder at a very high heat to coat the rail/bracket and then used solder sparingly to finish - the liquid solder sizzles when it's hot so you know it's working........ the join is now super strong and no change of it coming loose (I shouldn't have said that as I now have a vision of Round 1 and one of the rails coming loose).

Well impressed now as the front bracket looks like it's been done by a professional (laugh - well half of it does) - it even looks very similar to the example chassis Phil sent down a few weeks back.

No oilites in the post today which was a real shame, however things are taking shape with some cut outs for the wheels axles.... I've purchased the silver paint (Tamiya do a lovely metallic silver but for some reason it was $24 compared to the $12 for a can of mica silver (double the price for metallic - doesn't make sense to me)...so the $12 can was purchased.

More progress shots tomorrow if postman pat brings some goodies..... I'd better start work on the body and start practicing with the canopy glue.

I'm very much enjoying the challenge....... thanks for the ongoing support.....

#33 slo1quick

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:50 PM

View Postmiveson, on 21 January 2014 - 03:50 PM, said:

A good nights sleep and another attempt using a brand new bracket (one without any solder on it). I was also struggling with the liquid solder and couldn't work out why it wasn't working very well.... even after slo1quick kindly advised to pour some on a piece of stubby

That was put it in a bottle top (stubby top) and apply it with a tooth pick ....dont drink the stuff!

Looking good Mark.....
"Me Auntie's a Jack !!!"

#34 miveson

Raid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:35 PM

Okay well things are progressing slowly - seriously lack of time at the moment but will get this car finished.....

I'm not sure if anyone can help me but I need some #20 decals on clear as they #20 needs to go on top of a nice silver colour.... can anyone help me out with #20 decals?

I'm struggling with mirrors as well, looking for a good source of mirrors that I can add to the Porsche 804.

Plenty of work to be done....

- paint body
- create relevant chassis wire work
- continue to decrease height
- pick some wheels/tyres

Here is the latest picture (it doesn't look like much but it'll come together hopefully fairly soon)

Posted Image

Mark

Edited by miveson, 17 February 2014 - 06:37 PM.

#35 dangermouse

Triple Crown Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,937 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:55 PM

PM sent re decals - may be able to help with mirrors as well

DM

#36 miveson

Raid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:19 PM

The build is coming along.....

Posted Image

I'm going to need to source some decent rubber as these Dart tyres aren't very competitive.
Posted Image

One of the chassis rails came off whilst I was desperately trying to put a sleeve on (urgh).
Posted Image

The front bits that will be added - all cut and ready - likely to trim a bit.
Posted Image

I'm struggling with the rear chassis detail - in the last picture you can see my attempt at making the cube like rear structure - it's far to big so I'll have to find some thinner wire and try again - it's rather frustrating to say the least....

Aside from that I'm nearly there... it's almost time to spray the body.....

Mark

#37 kalbfellp

Formula 1 Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,856 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:38 PM

I use 32 thou wire as the thick suspension arms and about 25 thou for the other parts.
If you contact Tassie Resins they make 30 shore eurethane tyres to suit!

Edited by kalbfellp, 22 February 2014 - 07:40 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users