miveson

Tasman Cup Build

Hopefully you should have them tomorrow Mark. They went first thing this morning.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Thanks Embs.... I'd like to say everything was as per the photos, in my attempts to sand the front bracket to enable the guide to freely move the sanding caused both brackets to come loose.... urgh..... all good experience......

I can see the end in sight :)

An hour a day........

but how will he reach the peddles :)

looking good so far

now where is my soldering iron (actually I might need a new one - will need to do a bit of soldering for the new train track so maybe I should shout myself one)

I'll let you know Phil.... some new tyres will be a must as the Dart ones are pretty ordinary..........

Damn frustrating day in the end...... trying to re-solder the rear and front brackets and finally go the rear on... it might have something to do with the hot weather and refreshments.... all good, I'll sort tomorrow morning....

Coming along nicely Mark, I knew my first scratchbuilt chassis was soldered correctly when it survived the drop test, hitting the concrete shed floor and still held firm. You only learn from experience and will get better with every attempt.

Matt

It's amazing what a day can do.... I was going insane yesterday evening attempting to solder the front bracket - it didn't matter how much solder I used the rail would always come free.

A good nights sleep and another attempt using a brand new bracket (one without any solder on it). I was also struggling with the liquid solder and couldn't work out why it wasn't working very well.... even after slo1quick kindly advised to pour some on a piece of stubby. Anyways, long story short I found the right way to do things, I used the liquid solder at a very high heat to coat the rail/bracket and then used solder sparingly to finish - the liquid solder sizzles when it's hot so you know it's working........ the join is now super strong and no change of it coming loose (I shouldn't have said that as I now have a vision of Round 1 and one of the rails coming loose).

Well impressed now as the front bracket looks like it's been done by a professional (laugh - well half of it does) - it even looks very similar to the example chassis Phil sent down a few weeks back.

No oilites in the post today which was a real shame, however things are taking shape with some cut outs for the wheels axles.... I've purchased the silver paint (Tamiya do a lovely metallic silver but for some reason it was $24 compared to the $12 for a can of mica silver (double the price for metallic - doesn't make sense to me)...so the $12 can was purchased.

More progress shots tomorrow if postman pat brings some goodies..... I'd better start work on the body and start practicing with the canopy glue.

I'm very much enjoying the challenge....... thanks for the ongoing support.....

A good nights sleep and another attempt using a brand new bracket (one without any solder on it). I was also struggling with the liquid solder and couldn't work out why it wasn't working very well.... even after slo1quick kindly advised to pour some on a piece of stubby

That was put it in a bottle top (stubby top) and apply it with a tooth pick ....dont drink the stuff!

Looking good Mark.....

"Me Auntie's a Jack !!!"

Okay well things are progressing slowly - seriously lack of time at the moment but will get this car finished.....

I'm not sure if anyone can help me but I need some #20 decals on clear as they #20 needs to go on top of a nice silver colour.... can anyone help me out with #20 decals?

I'm struggling with mirrors as well, looking for a good source of mirrors that I can add to the Porsche 804.

Plenty of work to be done....

- paint body

- create relevant chassis wire work

- continue to decrease height

- pick some wheels/tyres

Here is the latest picture (it doesn't look like much but it'll come together hopefully fairly soon)

Tasman_4.jpg

Mark

Edited by miveson

The build is coming along.....

Tasman_13.jpg

I'm going to need to source some decent rubber as these Dart tyres aren't very competitive.

Tasman_12.jpg

One of the chassis rails came off whilst I was desperately trying to put a sleeve on (urgh).

Tasman_10.jpg

The front bits that will be added - all cut and ready - likely to trim a bit.

Tasman_11.jpg

I'm struggling with the rear chassis detail - in the last picture you can see my attempt at making the cube like rear structure - it's far to big so I'll have to find some thinner wire and try again - it's rather frustrating to say the least....

Aside from that I'm nearly there... it's almost time to spray the body.....

Mark