miveson

Slot Car Collecting

Thanks , that`s a great article.

I think there would be a great majority of readers that fall into the category.

If it doesn`t have wheels and an engine it`s not sport!

Wait. There's an "art" to collecting? I thought it was an easy three step process.

Step 1) See

Step 2) Want

Step 3) Have

Obviously I've been doing it wrong all these years. :D

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Hi Mark

Good article, well done,. Great looking collection

The only comment i would have is WOW, has the slot world gone mad or what. Are they ALL over producing or is it because we have a lot more new manufacturers on the market?

I feel of late a bit over whelmed by the sheer volume, for instance SRC, Ford Capris, they have been out for what roughly 12 months, they have already produced 13 cars, including specials

We now have Fly producing Slotwing, Slot it and Racer with Polistol and Sideways,

I love Fly and Slot it cars , but I am starting to say NO, because I am heading for a divorce if I don't.

That might seem harsh, but I have collected Stamps in the past, and seen what happened when the bubble burst(post office over produced and people could not afford to collect anymore so they dumped them). Same happened to Card collecter's. I really hope it does not happen to slot cars

All the best Pete

It probably will, I think all collecting moves in cycles - when I first got into slot cars Fly cars were around $100 or more , now a chap on SCI had 5 of them for $120

DM

One thing I dont get is buying a car (of any sort) with working running gear and never using it. Nice article though I look forward to the rest of the series.

Some slot (and MTB) vids NOW SHOWING

I agree DM on the Fly value 'adjustment', as a collector of Fly slots its been bizarre, interesting and heart-breaking to watch the value of them completely drop from the market. I watched as mint Fly Martini Porsche 917K was passed-in without a bid on ebay last week for $40, no one would touch it - incredible!

The brand has lost it's 'collectibility', fortunately I still love Fly slot cars.

I think the brand may have been guilty of devaluing themselves a little bit by having more comebacks than Nellie Melba had farewells.

But I think there are also so many offerings diluting the collector market and there is only so much money to go around.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

I couldn't agree more with some of the comments - there is a massive range of cars being produced at the moment......... a real shame that Fly have devalued so much - I was pretty lucky to pickup most Fly models on the way down. Fly in particular shot themselves in the foot with the 10 year anniversary debacle - everyone expected the moulds to have been destroyed......

If you count the cars you'll see that the photos are a few hundred short - I actually got sick of taking them out of boxes (so time consuming).

Thanks for the very kind words, Part II is probably a couple of weeks away.

A problem I had when I started "collecting" was walking into a shop, Red Racer, and trying to buy anything that moved. So I ended up with quite a few cars I didn't want after a while. Narrowing down what I wanted to collect has given a better look to my shelves with cas f the same type together. So now stick to Slot.it groupC cars, Movie cars, Any australian cars, and pre 1965 Monte Carlo type rally cars for targa racing. And now sideways group 5.Great article.

i have only been to a few hobby and toy collectors event in my life, but i thought that the most prized articles in a collcetion of any toy or hobby, are the ones that are still in the original packaging and preferably never opened. If you had several hundred, or even thousand cars in your collection, then would the ones that have been used even once....be worth less than the ones in the sealed containers that have never been used?

i am too weak to just collect. once a car is purchased, its a countdown to get home (when i had a track) or to a public track to use it asap.

Shed People Mutual Admiration Society

2 times Australian National Champion

1991-Flexicar 1999- Group 12 Sedan