New Track - Bonython

difinity

Planning a track for my new place. Have worked out roughly what I want if to look like in Illustrator, but haven't figured out the CAD stuff yet.

Anybody know how to get shapes, lanes etc into a cnc format.

Very hard to get illustrator to do elevations from the lane layout too.

Thanks, tony

Edited by difinity

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forum from another Canberra slotter...

Hope you enjoy the craziness in here...

Hi Tony

I'm in chisholm, I route all my tracks by hand, with a little help from guides and jigs of course.

If you need a hand Iv'e got the whole of January off and will be sitting in the shed bored silly.

Cheers

Andrew

Ps: have router will travel.

A man without a woman is like a neck without a pain.

Anybody know how to get shapes, lanes etc into a cnc format.

Not sure about the elevation side of things (3D), but I believe Illustrator files can be exported as "AutoCAD Interchange File (dxf)" which is good for CNC.

:huh:

Edited by slotbaker

Steve K.

Tony, I used to have mixed luck getting machining done from AI generated DXF files. Michael Helmriech, Screenmakers, Plastic Creations and Integrity Signs were really good. Some of the other shops around town needed file generated out off "industrial" software.

If you go down the AI route to route make sure you start your file at 100%, scaling will break your DXF files. Don't worry about he page size as Illustrator (Indesign also) handle pages 5000mm square.

You need to discuss carefully with any of the shops that can do your machining as you will need to define all your cuts and dimensions as Illustrator paths (ai file or DXF) don't define cut dimensions, unlike other CAD/CNC/CAM software.

Justin

PS, BTW I reckon Andrew can cut and machine faster and cheaper than any CNC work you get done.

Hi jmpg. Drawn up in illustrator, straights end to end loop is 4.8m end to end (could do with a 7m page I fit the garage though).

As I want some elevations, there should be some banked loops and I want those to route cleanly. For the rest, in sure with some help I'll get it right. Key will be a clean lap and not having the track bouncing the cars out.

Happy to share once I get the outlines sorted...

difininty

I've got a couple of Illustrator scripts for generating tangents, sections etc. They need a bit of trial and error but I've used them for my "dream" tracks. The best way i've found for tracks is to draw the centre track and use the .Object>paths>offset paths. It generates nice radiuses and curves that can be modified if you want unequal tracks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Well, Tony has come to see me and we are working on this one now, the layout has changed a bit, but not too much.

I have started to lay out the design on to MDF and should be routing in the next couple of days.

The major factor in this one is the location, it's in a single car garage with built in shelving down one side, and we have to make the track fit into the shelves.

Stay tuned for updates.

Andrew

A man without a woman is like a neck without a pain.

Congrats on getting started...

Here's hoping Andrew has smoothed out the 'knot' a little...

lol.

Looking forward to seeing it in action...

Personally, I would have liked Corner 7 to flow out to Corner 10, and Back to Corner 1.

This would mean there there would be the same left / right 'degrees' and also a smoother more flowing track...

The 8/9/10/11 'donut' to me just seems excessively complicated...

ps. Tony, what changes did Andrew actually make?

Long straight is now about 4m total, corner (5) rt onto complex is much smoother, donut is full round not oval and the top corner back onto the straight will have a slight blend line to get around the shelving pole.

Other than that, 100mm spacing and more run off. Means the track isn't quite as tight.

Not as many rights as lefts - not enough room for them. Will be reasonably simple, with a couple of technical corners to sort us old guys out.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking good there Tony...

Going to be an interesting track to see, and even more interesting to marshal...