Springbok Racer

Scale Auto Amendments Discussion For The 2014 Regulations.

Personally I always run a car that is legal what ever the requirements may be as this is the only way to develop your car to run at the pointy end especially at a national level.

Noel

Have never run an 1/24 SA but this sounds like wisdom, the old beard in the sky type.

Well said Noel

It ain't broke. Don't fix it!

(That said, I don't disregard the very well informed and constructive comments posted in this thread. There are some very good arguments. Ultimately, though, I very firmly believe that we are on a winning formula. Let's not run the risk of losing out by tinkering with it.)

class definatly aint broke I agree, but we found recently when we did a scrutineering session on all the cars at club level most were outside the rules. Some of this was due to people not reading/understanding the rules but also from the rules being very different from all our other classes and people not understanding how to make the cars fit the rules and still handle ok. have seen several of the guys give up and just run smaller wheels and lower the chassis height and run bodies under weight.

I'm not sure what the problem is having to comply to a a rule set for a specific class.To state the obvious every class of slot car we race in South East QLD has a different rule set the only common rule is the 1 mm ride height for those classes.

I don't think the current regs for the SA hinders it at club level nor national level, I think what may have hindered it at at club level was the racers ignorance to the rules not the rules themselves.

There has been on going disagreements about other classes that we race on a national level and I for one disagree on the rule but its the rules end of story and if I want to race this class I must comply to be competitive.

Noel

I think your missing my point a little, I am saying that the current rules make it harder than most other classes to get a car going well (especially at club level) which is why at club level very few cars run to the rules. Of course anyone that is willing to spend the money to travel to large events will be experienced and willing to spend the many hours it takes to get one of these cars together and to be competitive at a national level regardless of the rules. Maybe I am not getting it in thinking that this class was created as a beginner or entry level class and therefore should be relatively easy to get going fast.

just also wanted to point out that the other common rules for most classes is being able to true front and rear wheels down to have them trued to an acceptable size (without having to coat them)

just also wanted to point out that the other common rules for most classes is being able to true front and rear wheels down to have them trued to an acceptable size (without having to coat them)

Okay I'll be more specific I have built 19 SA to the current rules and have never found a pair of fronts to be under the legal requirement. I choose to harden my fronts which obviously puts them well over size enabling me to do with them what I want with in the rules.

I guess I've just been lucky not getting an under size pair so far out of the packet. In fact I still have a pair from two years ago on one of my cars that are still legal.

As far as other classes go you need to true them down to get down to a 1mm ride height for the car to handle which as Garry says just adds one more element to the set up which is not needed.. I know you can get smaller Diameter out of the packet but they would not conform to the current rules of a MINIMUM of 26.5mm. I accept your point of view Jason I just have a different one. Maybe this class should be referred more to a cross over class from plastics to metal chassis rather than a beginners class.

Noel

Who do you race for Jason.. And where....? I actually thought Jan ran a pretty tight ship when it comes to rules.. Even at club level.

I remember Jan doing a car check recently and there were only minor descrepencies. As Garry said, at club level this isn't a big deal, helps keep costs down and you don't want to be be too pedantic on fun nights or guys won't come back. What we're talking about here is a very clear, simple set of rules that we can use to race at a NATIONAL level. The guys that go to a National event are NOT new club racers so go to these events expecting stiff competition from other EXPERIANCED racers all prepping to the same set of rules. There is no point going on about compromising the rules to make it easier for entry level slot car racing because that just a part of the process that seems to happen with new racers (no matter what class they are racing) while they learn how to get up to speed.

I remember Jan doing a car check recently and there were only minor descrepencies. As Garry said, at club level this isn't a big deal, helps keep costs down and you don't want to be be too pedantic on fun nights or guys won't come back.

.....and I agree with Garry. At EE.au we always check any car that has improved a club record before the record is awarded. In fact Bruce is our official club scrutineer.....

But enough on that for now, please keep the discussion going on this thread, it is good to get constructive input.

Cheers,

Jan

'The older I get the faster I was.'

I guess the crux of the issue is the level of competition this class is aimed at. It has always been explained to me as a simple class's for new racers. as far as a class for national level experienced racers the only thing that needs to be looked at is front wheel size issue and leave the rules as are.

With the minor issues at club level scrutineering they were mostly cars running low chassis height. Again I feel I have to say I am not criticising the class just trying to make what I think is confronting criticism. I do race for jan and jokers and will be at Hornsby. Just wish it was the people who have raced this class more than a handful of this year were giving some feedback

Meant to say constructive criticism, damn auto correct

I thought you got it right the first time... Haha

Edited by axman

Hi all,

Thank you everyone for contributing to this discussion. From all the posts here, phone calls, emails and pm's received it can only be concluded that we have a great class and that we should not change the rules.

However, allow me a short summary and commentary if only to clarify some of the points raised:

- Whilst this is not a beginners class (as specified at national level) it is the best transition class from plastic to metal we have for any racers wanting to join in with 1/24th scale model car racing.

- The main underlining motivation for this class and it's national (and international rules) is to keep it standard and as close to what comes out the RTR box as possible. The only changes we want are those that racers choose to make with in the rules. If you consider our rules carefully you will realise that you don't have to change the RTR car at all - but that you are allowed to make certain changes if you so choose. Therefor this class can be raced at any level from home to club to state and nationally by simply adopting these rules or parts thereof.

As for more specific issues - please don't confuse choices we have with mandatory change:

- Ground clearance of 1.8mm - if this is lowered to 1.0mm the guide holder has to be fitted on top of the chassis and we will loose our current flexibility. If this is done in conjunction with smaller diameter wheels - we again loose our current flexibility to use the standard wheels (more specifically the standard front wheels). This change when it was allowed at the 2012 World Championships was the single biggest reason why the class was abandoned in 2013 - we don't want this to happen here in Australia.

- Changing the spur gear - again, we will then have to buy another gear and will not be able to use the standard 44T spur gear.

- As for total minimum car weight - this is where the different chassis parts which Scale Auto has used on their RTR cars have caused serious car builders to be very careful in their parts selection. The early Scale Auto and MSC chassis versions used many lighter parts, whereas the latest Scale Auto 'bling' chassis is generally heavier in all it's parts. Whilst the 190g minimum total weight might be a problem in some car builds, heavier cars have so far dominated all our major race wins - so again we don't want to force anyone with an old chassis style to add weight, but rather leave them the choice if they want to. Please remember that all the parts - old and new - are available and car builders are free to replace any 'heavy' standard part with a 'lighter' standard part, without resorting to the (not allowed) carbon upgrade parts.

- Front wheel diameter - if you want to run less than 26.5mm front wheel diameters, then use the standard front wheels which are around 26.2mm. As for the minimum of 26.5mm when using the racing wheels, please feel free to start with the Scale Auto SC-2709P part which is 27.5mm in diameter and then turn it down to 26.5mm. In the 2014 rules the reference to using SC-2715P will be a guide only.

- Rear wheels - to ensure that tyres used at events where no handout wheels are supplied a very good ruling was made at the last Victorian event. This meant that the rear wheels had to retain a recognisable amount of the orange sidewall markings as standard on the Procomp 3 RTR wheels. There could then be no doubt that the car was actually fitted with the correct rubber compound as stipulated in the rules.

- Motors - our rules allow two motors (the Scale Auto SC-26 Endurance and the NSR King 25 Evo), both of which are available at this time. This gives us not only flexibility for different tracks but more importantly safeguards us against manufacturer replacement programs that have seen us in the past scramble for a common motor while they change the one in the RTR cars. This is a Scale Auto class and we should always specify a Scale Auto motor in this class, so if we are faced with any future obsolescence of either of our motors our first choice for replacement will always be the motor used by Scale Auto in the RTR cars or another motor offered by Scale Auto - but we should always strive to specify two motors in our regulations. Thankfully we can sort this kind of eventuality out when we review our rules quarterly and it will again be done with an openly considered discussion. But I reiterate - only if one of our current motors is no longer available.

Again, thank you for all your input and constructive suggestions - we will never please everyone, but I think we will please most by not changing our rules for this class. This thread will now be locked and the 2014 regulations will be posted under the 2014 section of this National Racing Class.

Cheers,

Jan

Edited by Springbok Racer

'The older I get the faster I was.'