Anthony G

Best Method Of Looking After Tyres

Harder tyres last longer but with less grip.

Softer tyres opposite.

Best to try and find a tire with a happy median, if you look at the F rating on the tyres the lower the number the softer the tyre.

Only way that I know of is not to run them, sorry obvious I know.

I'm sure just like in the real world, track temp and roughness will play a part.

Cheers Grant

20191120172309-193d8f3b.gif.......................................................20170306174707-b4015afe.gif

Home Track..........Corvette C1 Build..........McLaren M1A Build..........Maserati 300S Build..........Allard J2 Build..........50's Diner..........Iso Griffo A3C

3D Printed Adjustable Chassis..........3D Print Projects

Urathane tyres need to be kept away from any oils.

Rubber tyres need to be kept away from water.

Urathane tyres need to be kept away from any oils.

Rubber tyres need to be kept away from water.

What tyres do XBs come with? My XB has swollen/deformed tyres possibly from contact with machine oil when lubing bearings?

They come with rubber tyres...

But I believe that they may be a blend of sorts.

They shouldn't be affected by oils, but every oil is different...

More likely cause would be turps or some other cleaner.

Edited by shadow_rusty

Scalex come with synthetic rubber tyres as standard. The Brut 33 Falcon has had some issues reported as to the fit of their tyres upon release. Scalex have either fitted the wrong sized tyre to the wheel or the wrong sized wheel to the car and some models have been allowed to depart the warehouse with saggy baggy donuts on them.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Eewww on the mental image that Saggy Baggy Donuts brought up...

If scaley tyres are synthetic rubber, I wonder if that is why they are somewhere between Ninco Rubber and MJK eurothanes to true?

Personally I hate the way Ninco/Fly tyres 'ball up' when truing them, but SCX/Scalextric/MJK's just produce a nice fine dust...

I don't remember which tyres in my pile of old tyres are off of the XB, but they definitely fit properly, and trued nicely like any other scaley tyre...

It now has MJK's, so can't check anymore...

Scalex and Standard Ninco tyres are very similar to each other. If they are balling up when Truing they are either getting too hot,too much pressure or wrong sanding paper.

The softer the tyre the more gentle you need to be when Truing.Soft tyres like NSRs are best trued with something to keep the tyre cool.

Depending on club rules WD40, oil or water can be used.

Edited by kalbfellp

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

BTW: Best way to look after tyres? Use them daily. Keep them clean. Wear them out. Replace as necessary

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

BTW: Best way to look after tyres? Use them daily. Keep them clean. Wear them out. Replace as necessary

This has to be the best reply I have seen yet, keep up the good work Ember. ;)

A man without a woman is like a neck without a pain.

Quite right Ember.Every one will have their own way of doing this.Over my 49 year envolvement with slot cars what i have found is that iff a car or tyres are not going to be used for a long period of time is to put them in a zip lock plastic bag with as much air as possible squeezed out then sealed and store in a dark cool place and they last for ages.I have tyres that are from the 60's thru to the 80"s still as good as the day they were made.

Kevin.

Thanks for the replies, and I had a bit of a chuckle at Embers response. I am finding that my Scaley slick tyres on my GT cars ( synthetic rubber?) don't tend to like the WD 40 I use to clean the track as they get a film on them that I have to clean after every time I do this. Should I get a tyre cleaner or is there a cheaper way o doing this?

Some people use WD40 and other lightweight lubricants to 'treat' rubber tyres and make them grippier. But once you start doing that sort of thing you have to keep doing it.

Tyres can be cleaned with some warm water and soap on a damp sponge. Another option is to roll them over the sticky side of some masking tape.

If you're using WD40 to clean your track be sparing with it on the plastic. Doesn't hurt to buff it off with another soft rag.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Whenever I clean my scaley track, which isn't very often, I use IsoPropyl Alcohol wipes...

Doesn't affect the plastic. Doesn't leave a residue. Best of all, it doesn't destroy MJK's like WD40 can...

Iso also cleans up the rails nicely without damaging the anodised protective layer.

Then it's 1 drop of Inox on each braid of a rubber tyred car, and about 50 laps to spread it out...

And repeat for the other lane...