2014 Tasman Cup

Stubbo

It's time once again to turn your attention downunder. The Tasman Cup is back again in 2014.banana.gif

Set out below are the rules and please use this thread for your nominations.

Rules for the 2014 Tasman Cup series.

This will start the official entry list, establish the schedule and contain the rules of the 2014 Tasman Cup proxy series. If you want to compete in this year's Tasman Cup, then please read through the following information and confirm your entry with a reply in this thread.

All entries need to be paid by the 8th February 2014.

Cars to be in Australia by Friday the 28th March 2014.

Cars will be returned to their owners at the end of July.

At this stage we will have a 6 race series. The probable schedule is

Round 1, Victoria

Round 2, Tasmania

Round 3, Tasmania

Round 4, New South Wales

Round 5, South Australia

Round 6, South Australia

Round 7, Victoria

2014 Tasman Cup Participants:

The maximum sze of the field is limited to 24 cars. A reserve list will be started if there are more than 24 people interested in entering.

Entry fee for Australian and NZ entrants will be $25.00AUD. For International Competitors the entry fee will be $30.00AUD. Any surplus money will be allocated to the prize pool.

Any offers of sponsorship or donation of prizes will be greatly appreciated.

When nominating please provide the following information about your car if possible.

Car number, duplicates will NOT be allowed.

Returning entrants will have first choice on their previous number.

Number 1 is reserved for the previous series winner.

Car make and model.

Resin, Plastic or Fibreglass body.

Chassis type.

Your name, very important. Owners name should be written on the bottom of the chassis.

VRAA cars are eligible

Tasman Cup constructors guide lines

We propose to generally follow the VRAA rules for this series however there are a few slight variations so please read the rules carefully.

Cars should be 1/32 scale models of F1 cars from the 1961-65 1.5 litre period. The series is also open to 1/32 scale models of cars that competed in the Tasman Cup in 1964 or 1965.

Only hard bodies (resin, fibreglass, injection moulded plastic, or fabricated plastic) will be allowed.

Reasonable scale appearance and representation of authentic colour/number/driver schemes (but no need to replicate specific cars or drivers; freelance schemes may be used, if period-appropriate).

Minimum detail would include clear windscreen; driver with head, arms, hands, and partial steering wheel; roll bar; some 3-D engine detail if visible on actual model, exhaust system. Mirrors and suspension detail are required.

Chassis may be fabricated using any material or stock manufactured excluding carbon fibre.

Wheels, inserts and tires (see below for limits) should be in keeping with the period.

Tyres:

Rears: 0.80" (20.32mm) minimum diameter, maximum width .276" (7.25mm). at the sidewall

Fronts: 0.75" (19.05mm) minimum diameter, Maximum width 245” {6.25mm). at the sidewall. Front tyres must have a minimum width of 4.75mm at the sidewall.

Rear tyres should not have a contact patch of more than 7mm width, fronts no more than 6mm, where the tyre meets the track at the start of the series. If you are running a 4wd car then the front tyres may be the same size as the rear.

Rubber or urethane tyre compound must be black, no chemicals or oil. No clear paint or polish on front tires.

Rear tyres may not be slab sided tyres like YellowDogs. All rear yires must have the sidewall bulge like the rear cars did in the era. The inner sidewall does not have to have the bulge but must be radiused at the tread area.

Motors:

You may choose from one of the following.

BWA FF050,

Solarbotics FF030,

MRRC SRP-1090 FF-050. This motor is also know as the SRP slim can Power 16

Vanski FF050 bearing the markings PPN13EB10C.

Gears may not be visible from above except as follows.

Some 1:1 cars had shortish bodies at the rear and the bodywork finished close to the rear axle line. If you want to model and enter one of these cars please let me know ASAP and if I can verify the short bodywork I will allow the crown to be exposed.

But please don’t ask me is this legal? Or is that legal? If you want to enter such a car check it out and provide me with the details and hopefully a photo and then I can confirm if it will be OK or not.

I know that some Tasman Brabhams had the short back end.

Dimensions:

Minimum ground clearance 1/16" or .0625", or 1.59 mm except at gear.

Accurate wheelbase (tolerance of +/- 1.5mm).

The cars can only have a max width of 2” or 50.8 mm, sidewall to sidewall.

Guide not to be visible from directly above the car in the straight ahead position.

No traction magnets.

Owners name should be written on the bottom of the chassis.

Race Procedures:

Finishing order for each round of the proxy race, and the entire series, will be determined by number of laps and 10ths of laps, within a set amount of time. A minimum of 9 minutes and a maximum of 12 minutes racing time per car is required at each track.

Each race will be conducted according to procedures chosen by the individual track host. Each car is to be raced in a fair and equal manner, and subject to the same track conditions. Each driver to drive all cars for the same time on the same lane. Lane and driver rotations to be determined by track host.

Track voltage will be 12 volts and will remain equal for all lanes throughout the race.

A running inspection of cars is to be made before and after each race. Cars may be cleaned and lubricated. No penalties for repairs required to keep the cars in the race. This excludes functional tyre and motor changes. If a motor should fail during qualifying or during the race it can be replaced after the race has been completed without penalty. Before repairs to any damage to the body or chassis are made, the track host will discuss with the car owner for repair or return instructions.

Points Scoring.

For each race;

50-44-40-36-34-30-28-26-24-22-18-16-14-12-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 with a fast race lap bonus of 2 points.

In the case of a tie a count back system will apply. If two or more cars finish on the same points then the car with the most wins will be declared the winner. If still tied them the most second placings will apply and so on and so on down the finishing order. If after that we still have a tie we will determine which car had faster lap times on the various tracks. If after that we still have a tie then we reckon we will have had a bloody good series.

The Race Directors will have the final decision. Should one of the Race Directors cars be involved in a tie and the finishing order is still in dispute we will seek advice and input from one or more of the track hosts. I could be magnanimous here and say the Race Director will concede. Maybe he will.

Penalties

Please be sure you avoid incurring any.

Late arrivals. Tough. The series will kick off on the scheduled date and if your car is stuck in the mail it will miss any round that it misses. The car will be tech’d on arrival and then sent on to the next practicable venue for inclusion in the remainder of the series.

Any car outside reasonable rule boundaries and with magnetic down force will be sent home.

Any car that requires a tyre change during the series will incur a penalty per set changed.

All costs incurred will be paid by the entrant.

SCHEDULE OF PENALTIES

Late arrival for scrutineering 20 points

Remedying of other non-compliant matters 10 points

Car outside above mechanical rules 10 points per round

Non-compliance other than mechanical 10 points

Tyre change 10 points

Let the games begin.

The field is full. I will start a reserve list so if you are still interested let me know.

2014TasmanEntries-1.jpg

Edited by Stubbo

Alan Stubbings

Hi Alan

First in , best dressed I guess.

I'd like to nominate my entry please.

Entrant- Lenny Broke

# 4 if possible ( for historical accuracy)

Body - Tassie Resin Cooper T62 Climax FPF - Lex Davidson, 1964 Tasman Cup Series

Scratchbuilt brass and piano wire chassis.

Cheers

Alan......another one

Edited by lenny broke

I will enter again If possible with No 7 If there is room the Grand Kids will probably like an entry as well, probably with no 47.

Bit surprised the Vanski motor is still eligible as it has not been available for about 3 years and the replacement motor ( Xbox) has a different rating with more torque!

Edited by kalbfellp

I will enter again If possible with No 47?

Bit surprised the Vanski motor is still eligible as it has not been available for about 3 years and the replacement motor ( Xbox) has a different rating with more torque!

#47 was with Charles so I need to wait and see if he still wants it.

As for the Vanski, I just left it in as a choice because some people may have had some from the past.

So there are a couple of issues that come out of it. If the "new" motor is different and gives an unfair advantage then I can remove it from the list.

If so that would just leave a choice of BWA or Solorbotics, is that enough choice?

Alan Stubbings

I will enter again If possible with No 47?

#47 was with Charles so I need to wait and see if he still wants it.

As for the Vanski, I just left it in as a choice because some people may have had some from the past.

So there are a couple of issues that come out of it. If the "new" motor is different and gives an unfair advantage then I can remove it from the list.

If so that would just leave a choice of BWA or Solorbotics, is that enough choice?

Would not the Ninco NC-8 or the H&R Hawk be very similar motors?

Alan: the motors from the newer xbox's have almost the same pars numbers as the oroginal Vanski's, it is hard to tell the difference until you put them on the track,about 2/3 tenth quicker than either the Solarbotics or BWA.

I also see you have dropped the SRP motor this year,was there a reason for that?

It eliminates any of the HMCC guys with cars built,from our series last year.

PS No 47 was on loan to Charles for last year! LOL

Edited by kalbfellp

Stubbo please see latest message on other thread. (Whoops seem to have lost a post).

Not sure what I did. Phil is undecided on No. 47 as that car fitted with MRRC SRP1090 motor. Can we hold both numbers in meantime.

Re No. 5 this was extra entered by me not brother Paul. He is not interested. This car also has MRRC SRP1090 motor however so we await your decision. Inclination however is to build new T79 car as I forgot I had bought body off Phil earlier in year. Either 47 or 48 could be used with this depending on driver (McLaren/Meyer).

Realise situation with Dr. Vanski motor but wonder what was wrong with SRP1090. Thought it was pretty compatible with Solabotic. As far as I am aware SRP1090 is still available as recently imported to NZ from Germany by local agent as far as I am aware.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Edited by charlesx

OK I have to fess up. I misunderstood some information I had and listed the wrong motors in the rules above. This has now been changed. The final list of motors that can be used is

You may choose from one of the following. BWA FF050, Solarbotics FF030, MRRC SRP-1090 FF-050.

Sorry for the confusion, my mistake.

Alan Stubbings