Round 3 Norton Hill Stages

lenny broke

Hi Everyone

The cars have arrived safely here for round 3. Things won't start officially here until toward the end of this week with a shakedown on the rally track on Thursday evening. In the mean time tonight I'll unpack the box and check over the cars and give them a short run on my 2 lane road course to make sure they are all running OK.

Alan

Hi Guys

Well things got started tonight after a very frustrating 24hrs involving timing systems and computers. <_< I hate Bill Gates!!!!! :angry:

Anyway I've worked my way around things and have been able to run the 8 lap prologue. I ran the cars in series number order to begin with. Times are in seconds to the 1000th of a second

Though not counting toward the overall result I will use the times to seed the cars into for the running order tomorrow for stage 1. The times may not be all that indicative of any cars actual performance over the full stage distance of 30 laps.

I ran the cars straight of the table tonight rather than doing a few warm up laps before to get used to the car. What this did show was the cars that are very well set up were able to go quick straight away and do a very clean run. Most of these cars had their tyres set up very well and ran smooth.

A lot of cars have as in previous years had a lot of chatter from the rear tyres which makes them skittish in corners. This means they have the tyres off the track a lot of the lap instead of getting traction in corners and are sliding into the scenery a lot. Some guys may have gone better but were early in the running while the track was a bit green after a clean before the start. I'll expand more on individual cars performance in the stage 1 report tomorrow.

Anyway here's the prologue results for you viewing pleasure or dismay depend on your result.

Alan

OzRallyProxy2013-14Rnd3Prologue_zps7d0efe36.jpg

Edited by lenny broke

It's a funny old world. I see Peter Gunn's car back on the bottom of the WRC table and Fuzzy on top. Wonder what will happen during the stages.

Thanks LB. Hope you have some fun with it.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

WOW!!! Well done Shadow_Rusty. Top qualifier and faster by 3secs to WRC.

Do not know what has happened to my Subaru in WRC but FordRS200 seems to be steadily improving. Subaru 9secs slower than Ford??? Strange.

Looking forward to rally proper.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Hi

Things got underway early this morning for the start of stage 1 and we are currently halfway through with the Classic cars just completed and I'm having a spot of lunch before re-starting with the WRC's

Everything went really well for the start and running fastest to slowest. The WRC cars will run in reverse order later this afternoon slowest first.

Sadly we've had one DNS, a guide mount failure in the warm up laps the owner having been contacted.

I'll do a post this evening with a short report on each car.

Cheers Alan

Howdy again!!

The WRC stage1 leg has been completed and the results are in! Some surprises on the podium for both classes.

Here's the results below to keep you occupied for a bit. I'll post some comments after I've had a bit of a sit with a cup of coffee and a slice of baked lemon tart :P

Alan

OzRallyProxy2013-14Rnd3Stage1_zpsbf80d984.jpg

Here's some notes that I made about the cars as I ran through them in running order.

Classic

29. Shadow Rusty- Nice and smooth with good power on this track. the narrow width made it easy to pwer on out of corners with out clipping the banks. no offs

28. FPV GTP - Smooth and fast. It just kept getting faster as run went on. The chick on the timing system kept repeating herself " new track record". 1 off

23. Phil Kalbfell - Smooth and consistent. 2 offs

24. Lenny Broke - On home track but seems a bit off the pace compared to front runners. 2 offs

30. OTFS - Nice easy car to drive but could do with more motor than the NC-1 on this track.no offs.

25. BillX- Punchy motor but struggled for grip. Got better later in the run. 3 offs.

27. Alexis in Greece- Best of the124 Spyder's I've driven so far, but was had to work to keep momentum up and a bit skittish/chattery. 2 offs.

21. Ember- A smooth runner but kept falling on it's side when trying to push on a bit. Looked huge on narrow sections of track.

16. Tom and Cam - Fast but slidey (if that's a word?) Took some time to dial into it 6. offs.

19. Branco - Wanted to fall over on its side when ever it saw a corner The standard guide set up didn't help. Lost count of the offs.

26. Miveson - Did not start, Guide mount broke in warm up laps- no time recorded.

31. Peter Gun - Too much motor for this track even with controller dialed back, motor was like a light switch, hard to drive. 10+ offs

18. Ben_M - Tyres chattering badly,this car could have done better other wise, hard to get drive down to track when wheels are off the road 50% of the time. 6 offs

20. Yngwie- Chattering tyres meant no grip skated way around stage. 10+ offs.

17. Aqua kiwi - Bouncing badly from rear enough to throw the car out of the slot in a straight line, let alone in corners. Couldn't see any obvious problem so I guess the torque of the NC-5 in such a short car may have been a factor. More offs than laps

32. NTZ - Absolutely no grip, skated around stage with lots of wheel spin. great for long slow drifts in corners. 3 offs

WRC

11 Peter Gunn - car ran better than in prologue but chatty tyres caused mid corner de-slots.

1. Cure F99 - Fast car, but not easy to drive smoothly, noisy gear train under brakes.

5. His Lordship - Chatty tires made car unsettled in corners. 10+ offs

8. CharlesX - Chatty under acceleration after dialing back controller, I think the torque of the NC-5 may have been a factor. 6 offs

14. HGpanel - Car felt like the handbrake was left on. didn't like accelerating up the hill bouncing from wheel to wheel. 10+ offs

4. Gazza - Smooth and flowing through hairpins. Reminded me of Devious Dave's car from last year but didn't have the same easy speed Dave's car had.

3. AMCC - Not a happy car today Tyres very chatty, caused number of de-slots.

13.Freddie Vanger - Smooth and consistent, but liked dropping a rear wheel over edge going up the hill, eventually it fell off. Slow re-slot lost time for car 13. 2 offs

10. Alexis in Greece -This car is 100% improvement over last year, great fun to punch up the narrow bits without clipping scenery. 2offs

4. Lenny Broke- Gear train sounds like coffee grinder with a bung gear box but flows through the tight bits well.

6. OTFS - a bit chatty but very consistent.

2. Slo1quick - A nice car to drive but an off witha difficult reslot cost time anda better result.

12. Haystack - A smooth car to drive and faster than last year which mean't it ran higher in the order, tended to clip scenery in corners but this is a big car on this track. no offs

9. Jimmi - This car was fast but I could get any consistency out of it to get a better result. 3 offs

15. Fuzzy - Nice car to drive no real vices just a smidge of the leaders today. I think I've seen this car before but under a different entry.

Well that's the gen on the cars at Norton Hill this year. Tyres once again played a big part this year. the smoother running cars had the best of it again. a lot of cars struggled with chatty tires I don't know what the cause is but some sound like the tyres are quite hard. maybe they are on old MJK's.

I ran the stage on my own today so if a car came off on the other side of the table so i had a bit of a reach to get the car back on, so some time was lost as i got myself back on to it. Sorry if that affected your run.there was is a lot of slot racing going on around here this weekend and i knew it would be hard to get helpers.

An early start tomorrow for stage 2 so hopefully I'll have the results up just after lunch.

Cheers

Alan

Edited by lenny broke

Opps sorry Chris, I've overlooked writing something down. According to my notes I've got you down as - Quick and consistent, stayed off the scenery. 2 offs. Its a lot easier to drive than last time it had a run here.

Alan

WOW!!! Well done Shadow_Rusty. Top qualifier and faster by 3secs to WRC.

Do not know what has happened to my Subaru in WRC but FordRS200 seems to be steadily improving. Subaru 9secs slower than Ford??? Strange.

Looking forward to rally proper.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Somehow I missed all of this...

Thanks Chas...

It seems it was that fast, that it placed in position 0...

Did someone swap my car for another during transit?

29. Shadow Rusty- Nice and smooth with good power on this track. the narrow width made it easy to pwer on out of corners with out clipping the banks. no offs

Thanks heaps for the feedback Lenny... Glad it ran as well as it does here...

Thaks for the run Alan. Looks like I should stick with SCX cars. Will work harder to do better next time.

Out of curiosity. Do you think the motor suitable for the task? I suppose hard to tell when the rest of the car is a pup.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Thanks for getting this round up and running Lenny. Takes a lot of time and commitment. :rolleyes:

Even writing notes after the stage adds a lot of time.

What is interesting, if notes were written on the second stage as well there could be a totally different report on many cars.

eg: Different day, Track surface temperature different, More rubber down on the track, Driver more familiar with car, and I do believe most cars dial in better on a track the more laps it does etc. etc.

I am aware some hosts run different voltage on different stages. Lenny, what are you running at?

Edited by Ontheflipside

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

Hi Mel

Voltage is 12.5.

Weather conditions couldn't be different today. Yesterday it was fine and sunny. The track is under a skylight so therewas some warmth coming through. Today is overcast and raining and a bit cooler but it is dry in the shed!!. The track will be different as I run it in reverse direction for stage 2 (as I have every other year). I have a warm up with one of my previous rally cars to sweep the track and tune myself into new direction. I'll try and do some more notes as I go along. Mrs B is home today so we may get some action shots of a few cars to post

Anyway I must get started , had a bit of a sleep in this morning, so am starting later today.

Alan

Hi Guys

Well it's all over bar the shouting here, so first I'll post the Stage 2 results and then the final results for you to go over. Then I'm going to have a bit of a rest and come back and summarise the day.

Alan

OzRallyProxy2013-14Rnd3Stage2_zps66031e2e.jpg

Please note that the originally posted final result score sheet has been amended to reflect the corrected stage1 time for Car22 BRK12345.

OzRallyProxy2013-14Rnd3amendedfinalresult_zps31584d3f.jpg

Edited by lenny broke

Series results updated:

2014_OP_R3_W.jpg

2014_OP_R3_H.jpg

A fantastic round as every for the host with the most.... Lenny B.

Fuzzy still sitting in top stop but for how long..... miveson dropping down the leader board faster than a lead weight in a pond.

Thanks for the round and good to see some different faces on the podium.

Special mention to Haystack who we have been battling all series..... you got us good and proper today, but wait for the bigger open tracks.......

Hi Guys

I've just had an error pointed out to me with regards to BRK12345's score in the classic class somehow I've managed to get his stage 2 time in both cells of the spread sheet in the final results. His stage 1 time should have been 249.629 as shown in the stage 1 results so the scores will need to be amended to reflect the correct times. Apologies to Chris for the error and also to Mark for mucking up his work in the point scores. I did check through the sheets but must have missed that one somehow.

edit: I have replaced the the original final result sheet in post 21 with the amended scores which now brings car22 up into 5th place.

Having run this thing on my own today and yesterday, I'm pretty well done in so I'm sure you'll understand if I don't report on stage 2 and do pics till tomorrow.

Cheers

Alan

Edited by lenny broke