I am sure there are better photos and a full report coming but here is a taste of the action so far, tomorrow will be even more hard fought.

photo_zpsriys1dyc.jpg

Edited by jasonk1970

Motor handout has just taken place for the LMP cars. Jan is in a panic and Garry couldn't care less, so it is situation normal.

13 times world wanking champion. Not proud of it.

QUEENSLAND ENDURANCE CHAMPIONSHIP - LMP RACE

After bracket #1

Jokers 637

Narangba 635

Gold Coast Eagles 625

Phoenix 624

NSR bye

KiwiAudi bye

At about 2/3 distance, the scores are as follows:

Jokers 1722

Narrangba 1720

Phoenix 1709

Gold Coast Eagles 1667

NSR 1250 (bye)

KiwiAudi 1179 (bye)

Computer forecast for full time is:

Jokers 2534.7

Narrangba 2531.6

Phoenix 2516.1

NSR 2500.7

GCEagles 2455.2

KiwiAudi 2359.3

Yes, it is close.

Update on computer predictions after Phoenix had to stop and fix a broken guide:

Jokers 2536.4

Narrangba 2532.8

NSR 2498.9

Phoenix 2461.2

GCEagles 2459.1

KiwiAudi 2368.2

Still very close at the top.

Final result

Jokers 2540

Narangba 2518

NSR 2495

Gold Coast Eagles 2464

Phoenix 2461

KiwiAudi 2348

Narangba broke a lead wire in the second to last bracket, robbing us all of a photo finish for first.

OVERALL QUEENSLAND ENDURANCE CHAMPIONSHIP RESULT

1. Jokers 4609.92

2. Narangba 4551.13

3. NSR 4488.10

4. Gold Coast Eagles 4453.49

5. Phoenix 4398.16

6. KiwiAudi 4280.31

What a great weekend of racing, still can't believe how close the racing was. Racing was fast, hard and fair.There were many battles big and small. Thanks to all the racers who made this a great weekend can't wait to do it again. Special thanks to Jan and Garry for organising the event and ma!ing their tracks available.

RACE REPORT - 2014 Queensland Endurance Championship. The concept.. race 4 hours on two completely different tracks with two different classes of cars... add the lap results together and see who the winners are... The big surprise was the same teams that came 1st, 2nd and 3rd repeated their results at both tracks.

Overall winners of The Qld Endurance Championship for 2014 was the formidable Jokers racing team of Jan, Tim Tyler and Jason(k 1970) .

Second place The Nerangba Team of Andrew, Simon and Cam. Third place Team NSR Shane Noel and Kim

Prior to the race most predicted the Jokers as the hard team to beat at Ecurie ( after all, it is the "home" of LMP) so all had hopes of putting some distance on them at Birkdale for the Scaleauto segment. The Nerangba Team with NSW import Cam from Dapto came close at both tracks and set a fast pace at Birkdale with their Scaleauto Mercedes thru most of the race.. They also and looked to have the measure of the Jokers at Ecurie but a broken lead wire ended what could have been a nail biting finish.

A big thanks must go to Jan and Garry J for hosting the events and all the interstate drivers for coming to what is going to become a great yearly event.

tdH9QyR.jpgThe winning Jokers cars ... both in perfect condition after 8 hours of driving. Congratulations guys.

Day one at Birkdale...

Have you ever travelled to a race event and had to learn the track in just a few hours... now imagine trying to learn two tracks for the one event 60 km apart. This was the challenge for each of the top local teams - all with import drivers from other states. The Jokers import was Tim Tyler from Victoria, NSR had Shane Atkinson from S.A. , Nerangba had Cam from Dapto and Phoenix really had a struggle with 2 "imports" - Greg Colgan from Victoria and Stew Amos from NSW. What was good about this is it actually gave the less experianced locals a bit of a fighting chance because of their local track knowledge. The track opened at 8am and pretty soon it looked like we were in for a day of carnage with Scaleauto's crashing everywhere. The weather prediction was cold.. would that mean more or less traction.. the Porsches are fast but suffer when the grip levels are high.. The Audi's really work well in these conditions but not as good if the track is slippery.. The Mercedes is somewhere in the middle.. a bit more forgiving, easier to drive but usually not as fast if the conditions are ideal for the Porsche or Audi. Can you believe at the end of the day it was Porsche 1st, Mercedes 2nd and Audi 3rd. See what I mean? decisions decisions!

Scrutineering was interesting.. Paul NZ was sure he got a bad handout motor.. fortunately for Team Kiwi (Kiwi's cant count it seems) Jan and Noel picked up the fact the car had an 11 tooth pinion instead of a 12. It was a very relieved Kiwi to find thats why he had no top end speed! The only other hiccup was a lack of identification on the bottom of one of the cars. This is critical to pass scrutineering in Scaleauto racing and has to be complied with. The stamp on a Bling (chrome) chassis is more prone to removal than the acid etch markings on the older style chassis. Because it only sits on the surface it has to be protected with clear tape or a coat of clear just like we do with the Plafit motors..

Race Start. Well, reading the race sheets. The Jokers were'nt mucking around and had the laps after 3 the very talented drivers had done their first stint. Every heat they seemed to gather about 12 laps more than anyone.... Nerangba were very strong and NSR just could'nt get fast lap times so barely managed to stay in front of the Gold Coast Eagles who as a team of far less experianced drivers really had an outstanding result.

Team Phoenix car was fast... and took some big hits... with 2 of the 3 drivers never having raced on the demanding Birkdale track before... I could hear poor Garry gnashing his teeth every time the car crashed. ( it WAS a fast car) The Kiwi team had very consistent lap totals but were just of the pace. Congratulation and thanks for racing guys.. you knew it was going to a tough race but you entered, had a go and I'm sure are now thinking about how to use this experiance in your next race..

Birkdale Race sheet for Scaleauto's

u343BRN.jpg

yM50n0y.jpg

Day 2 at Ecurie.

We all knew this was going to be a tough day.. there's just no relaxing driving a fast LMP at Ecurie. These cars really suck it out of you with lap times over a second quicker than what we were racing the day before so you have to bring your brain up to speed. These cars track so nicely you find you can sometimes squeeze past on the wide lane spaced Ecurie lanes. By 9am everyone was in the groove so after passing the band-aids around for trigger fingers we were away once again. Motor handouts were the NSR Evo, an unbelievably good motor with no know failures yet for this class of racing. By now we are getting a bit of a variety in the chassis but at the end of the day it's still the stock Red Roo thats winning.

The Race Again Nerangba was on pace just behind the Jokers only 2 laps behind after the first hour of racing. NSR, GC Eagles and Phoenix were only separated by 3 laps for 3rd place and Team Kiwi broke something so were about 30 laps further back. By the end of the second hour Nerangba with some brilliant driving managed to get a one lap lead on the Jokers. By now the Phoenix team had moved up to 3rd just 5 laps ahead of NSR. By the 3rd hour hour the Jokers had got back to 3 laps in front.. Did I say how close this racing is... and NSR had got past a hard charging Phoenix car after it broke a guide. By now the GC Eagles and Phoenix were locked in a battle for 4th and Team Kiwi still hanging in there about a 100 laps behind. During the 4th hour Nerangba lost a lead wire and the pressure was of for the Jokers who then cruised thru for another win. NSR came in a safe 3rd while the GC Eagles and Phoenix only 3 laps apart for 4th and 5th.

The motor handouts made a critical difference to the top teams. While the Jokers and Nerangba motors were good.. the Team Phoenix motor was great with some stunning lap times.. usually puncuated with a hard crash! Our handout (as in the Scaleauto race) was very ordinary so most teams got faster lap times but some desperate driving kept our lap totals just high enough for NSR to get a podium position each time.

Race sheet for Ecurie

xNvd3hS.jpg

Overall placings Once the lap totals for the two events were added together the dominance by the Jokers became even more apparent - overall placings are:

1st - The Jokers Tim Tyler Jan Roestorf Jason Kerr 4609.92 laps

2nd - Nerangba Simon Wakelin Andrew Bartholomew Cam Nielsen 4551.13 laps

3rd - Teams NSR Noel Batson Shane Atkinson Kim Axton 4488.10 laps

4th - Gold Coast Eagles Bruce Ambler Mark Stockwell Ashley Spendlove 4453.49 laps

5th - Phoenix Racing Greg Colgan Stew Amos Garry Johnson 4398.16 laps

6th - Team Kiwi Paul Windleborn Gereld Adam Grant Kirkbeck 4280.31 laps

YILZMt8.jpg

Edited by axman
  • Upvote 1

The LMP race really came down to being able to string fast laps together and make fewer mistakes, time sheets show there was very little amongst all the teams in outright lap speed.

Edited by jasonk1970

The fastest laps on each lane make for interesting reading.

White

5.503 Jokers

5.531 Narangba

5.547 Gold Coast Eagles

5.588 NSR

5.592 Phoenix

5.760 KiwiAudi

Blue

5.432 Phoenix

5.468 Gold Coast Eagles

5.484 Jokers

5.506 Narangba

5.541 NSR

5.680 KiwiAudi

Yellow

5.465 Phoenix

5.513 Jokers

5.534 Narangba

5.558 NSR

5.582 Gold Coast Eagles

5.642 KiwiAudi

Red

5.469 Phoenix

5.525 Gold Coast Eagles

5.545 Narangba

5.548 NSR

5.549 Jokers

5.759 KiwiAudi

That Phoenix car sure was fast!!!

Edited by Tim Tyler

Some of the weekend "Dramas" I spotted -

1.An Audi Rear Diffuser smashed during race day practice for the Scale Autos.[pressure] :angry:

2.A Scale Auto deemed illegal at scrutineering. :angry:

3.Late Driver Changes in the Scale Autos. :ph34r:

3a. One team had numerous goes at trying to stop in he pits for the driver change during the Scale Auto race.. :P

4.Tim Tylers Pink Sox at the Scale Auto Race. :D

5.A major rebuild on LMP Race morning for a Northern Team. :huh: [pressure]

5a:A very clever bit of Marshalling that involved a car hitting the floor early in the day during the LMP Race. :rolleyes:

6.Broken Guide Flags for two teams during the LMP race. One team was much faster at changing the guide than the other... :lol:

7.Another Guide that was about to snap off within a lap or two of the finish. :o

8Tim Tylers purple sox on LMP Race day. :) [at least he turned them inside out]

9.Photos of car positions at lane change... :lol:

10.A Broken lead wire during LMP :huh:

Sorry if I missed any.

Dramas and Laughs - All good fun. What a great couple of days.Thanks to all he drivers that made the weekend what I was and of course to Garry and Jan for running it all so well. A special thanks go to the behind the scenes workers - Garry and Jan's better halves for the great feeds.

Hi guys,

Following on from post #61 - the updated performance statistics for the OAPR LMP's during the enduro has improved some from the previous two years.

This year our second place car pretty much finished on par with the 2013 winning car; 2518.99 laps to 2519.0 laps. The winning car this year stretched the laps run per minute of racing from 2013's 10.50 laps per minute, to 10.59 laps per minute. So not quite up to club racing level, but very good when considering how much longer the enduro was in comparison with the club races. Also, having three driver with driver changes will always put pressure on the laps per minute result.

A most amazing statistic though is the fact that the 6th place car this year did 9.79 laps per minute, which just shows how much we have improved these cars form 2012 when the winning car did 9.80 laps per minute.

All the improvement has come purely with development within the ruleset, which has been the same for the past 3 years. Still only the 25k motors, still the same tyres, still the same weight limits, still the same gearing, still the same wheel limitations, still the same spur limits, still the same ride height limits, still....still ....still......get my drift?

Well done everyone, we have got this formula right, in both the Scale Auto GT's and the OAPR LMP's. Don't let anyone mess with our success and our beautiful cars.

See you all down in Melbourne for the next episode in the series.

Cheers,

Jan

• Upvote 1

'The older I get the faster I was.'

Guest jazzbell

Great weekend.

Thanks to my team mates Noel and Kim. Sorry I let you down as I can't believe how crap I drove over the weekend.

Also thanks Jan and Gary for the use of your great venues.Congratulations to the winners,you all drove superb,well done again.

Regards shane a

Team NSR

Thats o.k. Shane.. I drove crap at Hornsby. The difference is, our car was fast enough to win at Hornsby... This time even if we did'nt fall of once we would not have won. Looks like I abstained from drinking a glass or two of red for nothing this time. :wacko:

Edited by axman

I can't believe how crap I drove over the weekend...

Regrettably, I suspect that the respite is only temporary.

I can't believe how crap I drove over the weekend...

Regrettably, I suspect that the respite is only temporary.

Tim,

Yip, must admit I'm getting the feeling that Team NSR is lulling us all in to a false sense of security.

Let's wait and see how long they'll play us......

Cheers,

Jan

Well done to all on what looks like another great event.

You missed driving the fastest lmp in the country Dave!

Hoo Roo

You certainly did Dave.. The Team Phoenix LMP was honking... Garry bought it back for a rematch with Jan on wednesday.. heard on the grapevine it was leading to the last bracket when a braid fell out.... Dont you hate that :blink:

You certainly did Dave.. The Team Phoenix LMP was honking... Garry bought it back for a rematch with Jan on wednesday.. heard on the grapevine it was leading to the last bracket when a braid fell out.... Dont you hate that :blink:

......all true, my Pescorolo was not as quick, but it's reliability paid off...

Wow, what fun we're having.

Jan