Sign in to follow this  
Guest jazzbell

Nsw 1/24 Scaleauto State Endurance Championships 2014

Kim,

Thanks for a great race report.....I can almost imagine the race unfolding in front of my eyes.....LOL

Cam,

The vids are great, but can you do the second one in slow motion so I can watch the very, very quick yellow and green missile......LOL

Cheers,

Jan

Edited by Springbok Racer

'The older I get the faster I was.'

And Jan I think your QC erred in advice to suck it up for Greg putting your car on the wrong side of the lap counter, he should advised you to buy Tupperware Greg a beer or his much preffered Bubble O Bill for stopping his driving to marshall your car.

Cheers Jimmy :D

Jimmy,

You are right, I'll get a new advisor. Please tell Greg (I did not know it was him) I owe him a Bubble O Bill.

Cheers,

Jan

Yes,..Congrats 'a plenty, to the Winners and the Other podium placing teams/drivers,..BUT realistically,..congrats to ALL who 'soldiered on' to the completion of the event,..well done !!,.. :)

As has been stated by others, the overall driving standard Was very good and allowed the racing to maintain a fast pace all day.

To be honest though, it has been a Very Long time since I have experienced such Bad Luck and subsequent car damage during a race.

I think it was still the first bracket that brought about Our first (of Three), bent Hubs,..Never a good start,..:(,..BUT,..the BIG accident, came about whilst I was driving and was inadvertently bumped onto an adjacent lane due to a couple of cars having their Own crash on the outside lanes going through the first corner off the main straight,..(one of those completely unavoidable accidents that you aren't actually directly involved with), which ,meant we became a Very Fast 'Rider' on a lane going into the Triangle section and happened So Fast and with Such force, that I did Not even manage to even attempt to 'Mouthe' the words Rider, before we inevitably Hit the Wall,..HARD !!

Not only did this Bend Another Hub, (and on closer inspection of the wheel, I noticed it is actually cracked !!), the Force of the accident, actually Bent BOTH Motor brackets Sideways, ultimately moving what was a nicely centred Pinon and Spur 'mesh', to the Very edge of the pinion !!

It was Only whilst attempting to 'fix' the problem in the pits with Cody, that we realized the Base of the motor bracket had Torn itself apart due to the force of the wall shot, so typically took quite some 'Mumbling and fudging' to try to fix. I was perhaps understandably quite amazed by the extent of the damage caused to the car and also similarly amazed that we managed to Keep the car going !!

I'd have to suggest that EVERYTHING that one would imagine should Not Happen actually DID happen to Our car !! Both Cody and Fox managed to put the car on the Floor, with the Fox flooring finally managing to Shear the Whole Rear Wing Cleanly off the Body !!

For Most of the race the car was still 'on the Pace' as can be seen by the comparative 'Best' Bracket lap times, Until later in the race when the car Suddenly Slowed Seriously and simply had No Legs whatsoever,..definitely Not the best scenario when ending on Purple and Black,..yet Somehow, late in the final driver stint in the Last Bracket the car 'Came Good' again, all of a sudden !!??,..who knows, Go figure ,....

Good to see the Other HSC team eventually do quite well, their car seemingly got Quicker as the day progressed,,.. unlike Ours.

I Must 'Correct' you though Kim,...Foxy Did manage a 6.000 Flat, (as you must also be very well aware, he is often capable of pulling some amazing rabbits out of the hat, in both qualifying and race speed and wins over the years),...AND it WAS on Race Power !!

It was whilst practicing with Wayne the Previous day that we were running on a higher voltage.

When Fox and I were running the following day I specifically checked with James that we Were running on 'race' power and we did have the car consistently doing low 6.1's and 6.0's !! and I was pleasantly relieved when managing to turn a couple of 6.1's with the handout motor during the 'Shakedown' prior to Parc Ferme.

My thanks to Noel for providing the Car and to you Kim for supplying the Body,..although I must Show you how to actually correctly 'fit' the plastic Dog bones to that Body !!!

having also put in quite a bit of time preparing the car myself and spending quite a number of hours fixing the problem of the body Twisting and warping when the body mounts were fitted, I was perhaps understandably somewhat 'deflated' by the ultimate result.

A race that personally, I can't wait to 'Forget' !!!,.. :)

Edited by stoo23

Thanks all for putting on another great race meet.

Congrats again to The Jokers, Jan, Jason and Tim for racing a hard fought race between Team NSR, Xtremetrax and Phoenix. It was great to watch throughout the day. Thanks again to the organisers of the event, Shane, Jan, James, Gary and anyone else I have missed out on. It is always a pleasure to be invited to attend such an event.

Thanks again to my fellow team mates John and Rod for being able to come together for some fun! In the end I think I was over it as much as our car was! I was a bit disappointed we weren’t able to beat last year’s score with the Merc, I had high expectations of beating my score year with the Jag, but that’s racing some times. However it did drive better than the Jag though!

Finally thanks to all the competitors from NSW and Interstate for participating, it was good to catch up with some of you!

Hope to see you all soon.

Jason

Brooksy

Guest jazzbell

First of all thanks to James for the use of his great venue so we can hold such a event.

Gary and Jan for the scrutineering and help with some decision making.

Congratulations to the jokers on there win and the Dapto boys for there 3rd place.

My team mates in team NSR Noel and Kim thanks for a great weekend. We put in a great effort on the track with a top qualify and

2nd finish,we give it a go but just fell short,not to worry it was a team effort guys.

I love my away trips catching up with everyone ,the pub was great,the coopers beer even better and to top my excellent weekend was

My 800 gram steak for dinner,the best.

While I have anything to do with Scaleauto racing I be trying to keep things as they are for our NUMBER 1 class in this country.

Can't wait until my next trip to Queensland now.

So again,thanks to everyone .

Regards shane a

Team NSR

Can only echo what's been said above!

Thanks to Greg and Garry for being the team mechanics (again) and providing an excellent car..

As Shane said above the Satrday night was fantastic and me personally could have stayed down stairs all night Haha!!

Well done to the Jokers, team NSR and Xtreme.

It was great to catch up with everyone again and bring on next year!

On another note I got results of a CT scan done on Friday and I have a fracture in my hand from a mtb stack 2 weeks ago and go into plaster for 6 weeks tomorrow !!

So if I was a bit irratic or bumped anyone whilst racing I apologise.. Was a bit going on!!

Edited by Davnic74

Regard's

David

Team Phoenix

4 x Australian National Champion.

Premier Raceway Build

Gallery Raceway Build.

Heany Park Raceway Build

There is not much more that can be said about the past week end as all has been said in the above posts.

How ever a big congratulations to the Jokers team for their win, it was a hard fought battle for every team in the race as they all had their own race scenarios unfolding as to who they could finish in front of and so on.

The Sydney drivers should all be congratulated on their efforts as no matter how good the car maybe that was supplied to them you still have to drive it well and they had those duties well and truly covered with the calibre of drivers in their teams.

On a personal note I have raced against Jan at a club level for some years now, and also with him at an international level.

I can tell you that nobody puts in the set up time or development of a race car that he does it is 2nd to none and he thoroughly deserves the successes that may come his way in these enduros ...Well done mate.

Oh lastly a big thanks to Shane & Kim it was a great 3 days and I can't wait to do it all again.

Noel

Thanks Jan for sharing this years car prep tips in the "show us your scaleauto " topic.... Although qualifying times are similar to last year its the big lap totals that are the improvement this year.

1st placed Jokers team has certainly got its race strategy right with a massive 63 laps improvement over their 2013 results.

2nd place NSR improved by 21 laps (but needed another 21 to win)

3rd place Xtreme trax got to the podium with 247 laps over last year

4th place Phoenix improved by 249 laps on last year.

Before everybody gets too excited about how good they are.. remember James had Garry J do a full track refurbishment since the 2013 race...

Hmm... and If thats not it.. <_<somethings made a big difference!

Edited by axman

Sorry Guys - forgot to post the Qualifying times - in order fastest times. As a comparison Teams that raced last year their 2013 times are displayed ( 0.000 ) as well.

Interestingly, at last years event everyone qualified below 6.2 secs.

1 Team NSR 5.990 - last year ( 5.904 )

2 X -Treme Trax 6.018 - last year ( 6.126 )

3 Jokers 6.078 - last year ( 6.008 )

4 HSC 6.114 - last year (6.126

5 Phoenix 6.156 - last year ( 6.164 )

6 Wombat 6.159

7 Linfox 6.202

8 Funhouse 6.235

Edited by axman

Thanks Jan for sharing this years car prep tips in the "show us your scaleauto " topic.... Although qualifying times are similar to last year its the big lap totals that are the improvement this year.

1st placed Jokers team has certainly got its race strategy right with a massive 63 laps improvement over their 2013 results.

2nd place NSR improved by 21 laps (but needed another 21 to win)

3rd place Xtreme trax got to the podium with 247 laps over last year

4th place Phoenix improved by 249 laps on last year.

Before everybody gets too excited about how good they are.. remember James had Garry J do a full track refurbishment since the 2013 race...

Hmm... and If thats not it.. <_<somethings made a big difference!

I think it comes down to another 12 months of learning the cars and working out what makes them consistent to drive. One lap speed really doesn't mean anything with these big heavy cars. Testing Jan and I did before event and putting some of our ideas together defiantly made the car faster and more consistent.

As far as jokers go I have to say Tim drove like a machine, he only fell of 9 times all race and Jan was also fast and consistent.

For me it was great to come back to my original and familiar home track, see some old friends and meet face to face some friends interstate. I was also really happy that I was able to hold my own against shane, Greg and jimmy in each bracket I think we were all going hell for leather each stint.

The racing was much cleaner than last year, particularly early in the race. We chose to start on red and I was a bit concerned about "under the bridge" incidents but they didn't eventuate. Certainly some of the improvement can be attributed to the track being refurbished with new braid but Joe also spent a lot of time redoing all the connections underneath and rewiring the drivers panel, something not obvious from above.

Continuous braid contact (power to the motor) is very important to handing, something that wing car racers understand very well but may not be obvious to sedan drivers. Another factor was the track preparation, the grip level was perfect for these cars.

Jan and Jason did a lot of testing on Saturday. Jan tested for speed, Jason tested for endurance, and that car endured a lot under Jason's not so gentle care :o:P

I must say there were so many good drivers, and the cars were so even, you could drive 20 minutes and never see the cars you were racing against, let alone catch them or they catch you. And while all the Jokers drove well, it's the best driving I've seen from Jan for a while.

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

And while all the Jokers drove well, it's the best driving I've seen from Jan for a while.

Garry,

...it was the best driving I've seen from me for a while too...LOL

Guess it all comes down to motivation.....after the drumming The Jokers took in 2013, I was definitely on a mission to chalk up the 2014 win......and I suppose all the Jokers were.

Cheers,

Jan

Edited by Springbok Racer

Jan,

congrats buddy. But have to say, you and Tim in the same team, must be almost un-beatable mate.. SUUUUP Timmy maaayte...

Sounds and looks like a great event. congrats guys.

regards

Alan

Boys and their Toys...

Al,

Now there's a voice from the past - thought you had given up this mugs game?

Any good racing happening in Cape Town these days?

Cheers,

Jan

Hiya,

I did, lock, stock, and every nut and bolt I ever owned. I sold all 50 plus Silicone molds to another chap, and then he accidently had them thrown out!!! So I was pretty devastated about that I can tell you. 15 plus years of work just gone.

I also don't know whats happeneing racing wise. I got banned for life (AGAIN) because I said on the internet they're a bunch of slow arsed old men with no vision.. Really funny story actually, but I don't care. Am interested to get in contact with Russell Sheldon as he's back in CT, and see what his plans may be.

Your classes aand kits look good tho, happy for you guys.. and the Scaleauto GT's have turned into a world class series for sure.

say howzit to Tim if you see\speak to him.

regards

Al

Boys and their Toys...

The racing was much cleaner than last year, particularly early in the race. We chose to start on red and I was a bit concerned about "under the bridge" incidents but they didn't eventuate. Certainly some of the improvement can be attributed to the track being refurbished with new braid but Joe also spent a lot of time redoing all the connections underneath and rewiring the drivers panel, something not obvious from above.

Continuous braid contact (power to the motor) is very important to handing, something that wing car racers understand very well but may not be obvious to sedan drivers. Another factor was the track preparation, the grip level was perfect for these cars.

Jan and Jason did a lot of testing on Saturday. Jan tested for speed, Jason tested for endurance, and that car endured a lot under Jason's not so gentle care :o:P

I must say there were so many good drivers, and the cars were so even, you could drive 20 minutes and never see the cars you were racing against, let alone catch them or they catch you. And while all the Jokers drove well, it's the best driving I've seen from Jan for a while.

Hey Gary I wasn't there but i saw a couple of the quick youtube things Cam posted and thought the cars looked more loose than i remember cars at Hornsby. I think that is a great thing in hardbody cars. Big offs when there is huge grip can be expensive to a model car. A bit less grip rewards the steerer who can punt it through the tricky parts. The track is the track and everyone drives the same track so a bit less grip means less body damage and signifiant reward for the guy who can really drive and that is what it's supposed to be about.

Edited by first corner crash

4x national champion 6x national runner up. I come second most often but my girlfriends happy.

Trevor, they didn't look that loose on the day. Maybe the camera gives a different perspective.

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill