hazefullstop

Dandenong Ranges Track

Hi guys,

I've been absent for about 6 months but have finally managed to source the funding and kinda the time (if I find gaps between our retail shop shop, the kids, design business, jewellery business and organising a festival... =/ I think I need a bit of escapism at the moment!!) to get my act together on my track design. I did have a thread going in Home Tracks but when I was first setting it up neglected to select VIC, so I'm starting up a fresh one here considering it's all going to be new from here on in. A bit of background here http://www.auslot.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15950-brand-new-racer-brand-new-build/ if you want to see the origins of the track design and my progress so far, I'll throw a few in this post here to give a bit of a history too :)

Pretty excited, the track is with the routers at the moment, braid is ordered, finished building the table structure in the garage last night. Aiming to have all this done by January for my son's 4th birthday.

Will post regularly over the next few weeks with new pics and so on :) quite excited to get into the modelling part again, I love constructing but I do love getting lost in flock and paint etc...

Initial concept sketch:

img8427.png

First track layout and elevations:

trackq.jpg

Beginning the mountain range:

dsc2797i.jpg

dsc2796u.jpg

dsc2833t.jpg

Refining:

dsc3225.jpg

dsc3233p.jpg

dsc3235y.jpg

Table design:

80m salvaged pine and two mid expression children

thx0.jpg

Finished the table last night

tevr.jpg

So that's where we are up to so far, next update will probably be when the routing arrives and I get stuck into that!

On that note, I'm struggling to find a wiring guide for a track with 3 lanes? Most seem to cover two, would I need to be getting two power supplies? one for 2 lanes and the other for one?

Cheers

Productive 24 hours! Got the casters onto the base of the table, topped it with some 12mm MDF and finished it up to get a phone call 5 mins later saying the track was ready. Forklifted onto the roofracks and was rather fun to get off by myself, but it's all in and layed out. Can't wait till tonight when the kids are asleep and I get a chance to get down there and start working it all out - I think the banked curve is going to be my biggest challenge..

ljj3.png

tq0x.png

4cv4.png

Looking good there...

Can't wait to see this track take shape...

I couldn't wait till the kids went to bed, lasted about 20 mins before we all went down. Ha!

Roof rack straps are golden, bank curve was pretty straight forward, just going to be a bit more tedious getting the other small section of track from the top tier going down to meet up flush with it! being such a small piece it has no flex at all, will hopefully be able to rely on screwing it to wood to get it into shape..

vdbl.png

Hi

If you have a Jaycar Store near you they have a variable power supply for about $140 up to 15v which is ample power for the 3 lanes this is what i had on mine oh and by the way nice track and layout should be heaps of fun..

cheers

steve

Another productive evening, really hammered out heaps, managed to prop up each level consistently, all bolted down, started filling drill holes, somehow got the bend on the hairpin into the bank curve to work which I was super pleased with. Each join is now completed too and started putting in the angled braces for the bank curve!

I only stopped because I ran out of screws again..

0xqf.png

u90o.png

dkk.png

xx0j.png

I love the corner that you err ficking hammer through, good work mate, looks like a stunner in progress scenery wise. I reckon she's gonna be a really fast layout, whereabouts are you exactly? Enquiring minds with fast cars want to know.............

My mum says I'm an excellent driver

Brilliant, good to see the banked curve worked well.

For a power supply I just picked one up from Mobile raceways,

Very cheap and very good.

http://www.mrslotcar.com/prod2002.htm

Cheers Grant

20191120172309-193d8f3b.gif.......................................................20170306174707-b4015afe.gif

Home Track..........Corvette C1 Build..........McLaren M1A Build..........Maserati 300S Build..........Allard J2 Build..........50's Diner..........Iso Griffo A3C

3D Printed Adjustable Chassis..........3D Print Projects

Brilliant, good to see the banked curve worked well.

For a power supply I just picked one up from Mobile raceways,

Very cheap and very good.

http://www.mrslotcar.com/prod2002.htm

It worked a treat ZeGas!! Thanks so much for your help, i would never have got it done. Yeah I'll probably head out to Mobile Raceways this week - its only about 20 mins from me.

I love the corner that you err ficking hammer through, good work mate, looks like a stunner in progress scenery wise. I reckon she's gonna be a really fast layout, whereabouts are you exactly? Enquiring minds with fast cars want to know.............

I'm in Belgrave :)

I think you'll find there are a couple of eager drivers in the area. Eno the Wonder Dog (aka Dave) is in Avonsleigh, I think. I seem to recall there was someone else in the Dandenongs too.

Used to be in Ferntree Gully myself but that seems like a lifetime ago.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Came home from the shop an hour early today to have a play, got in the last few supports for the bank and then the moment of truth, unstrapped the curve and was very pleased to see it not move a mm, not even a groan! So the track is now 100% in terms of fixings, sanded back the polyfilled sections and took a razor blade to the slots to clean them all up. Next up - painting :)

u7ke.png

40mj.png

ffgp.png

Very nice, it's moving along at quite a pace at the moment...

Shouldn't be too long till you can runs some cars around it.

Hey Brent,

I don't want to hijack your post so to all out there please don't go off topic with this one.

Just wondering if you think that the curve radius for the bank could have been tighter with the 12mm MDF or do you think the 550mm internal diameter (finished radius) was as tight as you could go.

Hoping to try 375mm radius 180 degree max, do you reckon that the MDF would have enough flex for that or would that be pushing it.

If anyone else would like to comment or has created a tighter bank please either PM me or post on ROC track posting.

http://www.auslot.co...ck/page__st__60

Again Brent sorry for butting in but didn't think it warranted a whole new post.

Edited by ZeGas

Cheers Grant

20191120172309-193d8f3b.gif.......................................................20170306174707-b4015afe.gif

Home Track..........Corvette C1 Build..........McLaren M1A Build..........Maserati 300S Build..........Allard J2 Build..........50's Diner..........Iso Griffo A3C

Hey Brent,

I don't want to hijack your post so to all out there please don't go off topic with this one.

Just wondering if you think that the curve radius for the bank could have been tighter with the 12mm MDF or do you think the 550mm internal diameter (finished radius) was as tight as you could go.

Hoping to try 375mm radius 180 degree max, do you reckon that the MDF would have enough flex for that or would that be pushing it.

If anyone else would like to comment or has created a tighter bank please either PM me or post on ROC track posting.

http://www.auslot.co...ck/page__st__60

Again Brent sorry for butting in but didn't think it warranted a whole new post.

Hey not at all :) I don't know... it felt like I had pushed it to it's max without taking some out of the back of it etc. The roof traps I had holding it in place seemed at capacity and when i tried to pull it any tighter it wouldn't budge. not sure about 9mm board, I would worry it'd be too thin even with this one the slots seemed to start to turn in a bit at the bottom - i loosened a screw or two back a bit and it resolved it, but I was still a bit worried about it snapping at the narrow points. If the curve was over a larger area maybe?

Few things done today, plonked the mountain in-situ which was exciting to see, also good to see how much alteration it needs now I actually have the track. Then painted the track - hour or so cleaning out the grooves, a good undercoat, 2 coats of dulux sensations 'stone' texture mixed 50/50 with black that I had mixed up, and a light satin black spray paint over certain track spots. It's at a point now I kind of have to wait for the braiding before I can start working on the tunnel etc, but am starting on more of the foam scenery, and boxing in the bank curve for a scenery section up there too...

b0z1.png

ibp7.png

xhfo.png

o7uz.png

Ok so a note to anyone wondering in the future - don't use stone grit paint on your track. I thought it'd be great for a more realistic road surface, its not. was running the car around just to test it out and noticed it couldnt take the hairpin at all - too much traction was stopping it from sliding around the corner. Have just sanded down the whole track and repainted... lol

Have spent the last four nights slaving away at the slot painting =/ lesson learnt - paint slots before the track, because rather than just masking the slots off, I had to mask off every tiny piece of track to make sure i didn't spray over all my hard painting work.. Alas, it's all done! And I believe my magnabraid arrives tomorrow, which means a weekend of laying and wiring to hopefully run a test early next week! Here are some shots,

meqn.png

6lug.png

3iu3.png

p8of.png

More updates soon :)

Funky colour scheme

Cheers Grant

Looking good there...

Damn it's moving along fast... Won't be long now and you'll be racing full pelt arround it...

ps. I think your large yellow triangle needs a small black line in the middle... About the size of the small yellow line...

Did you get to go full tit round the banked curve

Cheers Grant

Cool... Great spectator comments too...

Did you get to go full tit round the banked curve

I will do I'm still wiring it all up :) I've hit a snag though - I've wired up all three lanes, wired in connectors etc and for some reason 2 lanes are working but the third is not? i double checked all solder joins they seem to be fine, I'm not sure what the problem is =/ My only one thought is on the third lane ive soldered the wire into the gap where the braid pushes through the track so it's connecting to both the start and end of the braid of the one side of the lane? The other tracks braids are connected but they are just touching one another as they push through the gap so I figured it can't be that? Are they supposed to remain separate?

Scratch that, ran some tests (alligators straight onto the track etc) and got it worked, redid the solder joins a third time and sorted it out :) all 3 lanes fully functional. Can keep going on scenery now, get some barriers in on the corners for faster turns and so on!