The Satisfaction Gene

jphanna

Guys, I am interested to know what aspect of slot cars that nurtures your ‘hobby satisfaction gene’

There is so many facets to enjoying our hobby. A lot of us have been doing it since we were kids. for some, that is over 50 years of slot car involvement. Why do we do it? my observations from people around me, so far include

1. Building cars you loved in real life, from scratch

2. Making scenery and all aspects of the fine detail involved in the process

3. Buying cars to collect

4. Buying cars to modify

5. Buying cars to enjoy at home with kids

6. Buying cars to race in groups

7. Building tracks and inviting people to race with you

8. Running a slot car business

9. Sharing technical secrets with others

10. Hiding technical secrets from others and testing on tracks to prove your worth

11. Racing with your mates

12. Racing against your rivals

13. Just being part of a local slot car community

14. Running a forum

15. Just love to drive slot cars no matter what the circumstance

16. You have made lifelong friends through slot cars

Everyone that I know that did slot cars in the past…..is still doing it now. names of people that I met 40 years ago and havnt seen in all that time, have been mentioned in the last 5 days as currently involved still, somewhere at some track in Adelaide.

I have asked just about every other question to you, and I know you sick of it, but I am interested to know what aspect of slot cars means the most to YOU. (will back off after this thread)

Shed People Mutual Admiration Society

2 times Australian National Champion

1991-Flexicar 1999- Group 12 Sedan

I'm not sick of Q's.......& I say kudos to all your topics inviting all to have an input.........

Reasons for Slotcaring...??....hmmm

1. Building cars you loved in real life, from scratch......................................................... I'm yet to do this

2. Making scenery and all aspects of the fine detail involved in the process...................I'm trying to do this

3. Buying cars to collect...................................................................................................I buy to drive

4. Buying cars to modify...................................................................................................is getting them to run propper classed as modifying

5. Buying cars to enjoy at home with kids.........................................................................I got 3 girls,,,, they don't give a s#!t.

6. Buying cars to race in groups.......................................................................................that's a given

7. Building tracks and inviting people to race with you......................................................I built a track,,, but no one wants to race with me

8. Running a slot car business..........................................................................................seen to many die,,,, but would be a great buisness to be self employed in

9. Sharing technical secrets with others............................................................................still learn technical secrets of others

10. Hiding technical secrets from others and testing on tracks to prove your worth........... have none

11. Racing with your mates................................................................................................. have none

12. Racing against your rivals............................................................................................. have none

13. Just being part of a local slot car community..................................................................have none

14. Running a forum............................................................................................................. don't have one

15. Just love to drive slot cars no matter what the circumstance........................................... I think I fit in here

16. You have made lifelong friends through slot cars............................................................ well,,,,I've met people

I have to agree with Neil on his entire post ......except I have 2 girls and 1 boy and he doesn't give a s#!t. Keep em coming JP!!!

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion

i havnt even done my feelings on this subject.

my priorites have changed since 30 years ago.

30 years ago - had to have the best car, be the fastest driver, quickest qualifier. nothing less.

today - enjoy the company of so many new racers and enthusiasts across adelaide, both at private and commercial tracks. its all about the people for me today. enjoying to drive my cars, is just a byproduct.

Shed People Mutual Admiration Society

2 times Australian National Champion

1991-Flexicar 1999- Group 12 Sedan

For me the hobby is about:

1. Being able to relax (I love spending 30 min alone racing a handful or cars)
  2. Catching up with a few mates
  3. Reliving the experience of owning a cheap slot set when I was 10ish
  4. Building challenging and enjoyable tracks (plastic) - I rebuild on average every 3 months
  5. Analysing stats (in race management software etc)

I don't have any interest in competition racing or tuning the cars etc. All my cars handle differently, some fast, some slow, some stick like glue others have no mag... that is part of the enjoyment for me.

Edited by Kholo Kid