True To Scale?

warrick

I see there is a lot of talk about bodies being too wide,too high,too long etc & not to scale. ok,what are people using as there reference for these statements? standard production cars,their own eye view of the car,what? i would like to know as i would be very interested to see these specs.

fire away.

Impossible to regulate?

I went through a racing era when I was young, where you had to have official plans of the car you were running at National events (mostly 1/24th Formula Ones) and no dimension, body, tires etc could be out by more than 10%. Various plans were regularly published in the British Slot Car Magazine at the time.

I had plans and ran a Maserati, others obtained the plans of an American Eagle that was the widest bodied Formula One at the time and so only they had the advantage

The plans were submitted to scrutineers with your car, then the measuring commenced.

yeah now you see thats my point.all this who-ha thats going on in the modern gt's about whats to scale and what isnt just isnt practical.one person says GFK bodies are too wide,as compared to what? my z4 GFK is an exact replica of a scaleauto z4.i used parts from a scale auto to finish it,so does that mean scaleauto bodies are now all wrong and not suitable anymore? by all means have maximum widths etc but lets not tar any particular style or brand as illegal if it falls within these limits just because someone thinks it doesnt look right. lets not forget this is a hobby and we are supposed to be having fun,not racing for sheep stations.

cheers

Hi Warrick and others.

Not sure what the Porsche article was supposed to prove. They were all actual 1:1 cars that actually raced. Any slot car that is a fair representation of any of these is fine with me.

I take the point about the Eagle but that would be the exception rather than the rule. The Tasman Cup and VRAA seem to exist fine with the rules imposed. Probably helped by max. width being stipulated (not a scale width). The cars in all other respects however are expected to be close to scale.

I do not think anybody wants to exclude cars that are a fair representation but I note certain 1/27-28th models are excluded from 1/32 events. With a saloon or sports body I think we need some constraint otherwise some manufactures will just continue to bend the rules.

The NZ Canam Proxy goes some way to providing a reasonable solution by limiting widths. I have been more than happy to campaign my 53mm wide McLaren M6a in a class that allows up to 58mm.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

i agree Chas,reasonable facsimiles are fair enough provided they fall within any existing allowances.this then brings up the question of who decides what

the regulations should be? do we work off international rules or use local,Australian, interpretations.this is not an easy question to answer.by the same token

i dont think it should be decided by one or two people who may or may not have their own agenda. as i said not easy.

cheers

Hi Jason and Warrick.

Have not looked at closely yet but that is a great database. Will look again soon with much interest.

Re spur gear I suppose it depends what else you are able to do. Changing motor orientation for example will fix most such problems but may not be allowed in terms of rules for class discussed.

I recently put an FF050 motor in my 1/32 rally car without changing from S/W orientation. Was told that was impossible but not case. Nothing like a dose of Kiwi.

Regards

Chas Le Breton