Policar

gazza

For Mac users out there.

Railmodeller - the German model railway and slot track design software for Mac and IOS, have completed a Policar track system file and will upload it

as an update to the software in the next few days. https://www.railmodeller.com/home-railmodeller.html

railmodelle1.jpg

I still have no response from Pierrick as to when he will update Ultimate Racer (UR30) to include the Policar track file for Windows PC track design.

But the files are available. Message me if you want a copy of the Policar track system file to add to your installation.

• Upvote 1

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

• 2 months later...

Slot.it have just released technical details for the Policar GT4 version of the Maserati GranTurismo, and at the same time, pictures of the 2nd livery, which will come in Q4 along with the first.

There is also some background on the race series from which they are modeled.

The chassis is similar that used on the Subaru BRZ. Inline, with plastic wheels, but has a new motor of 17,000rpm, as opposed to the 13,000 rpm motor in the BRZ - Torque figure not stated.

The chassis is "chip ready" for Slot.it oXigen and the digital systems from Carrera and Scalextric

ct03a.jpg

ct03b.jpg

ct03a-2.jpg

The Maserati GranTurismo MC GT4 derives from the MC Trofeo version, used in the Maserati's own Trofeo championship, in compliance with the regulations

of the category launched by the SRO Motorsport Group.

The technical differences are aimed at reducing the performance of the MC Trofeo version, to align the MC GT4 to competing category cars.

The reduction of aerodynamic efficiency, with the adoption of a smaller rear wing, a redesigned extractor and splitter and a higher ground clearance, as well

as the installation of a suction restrictor, allow an estimated slowdown of the car on average 1 , 5 "/ lap compared to the MC Trofeo. The GranTurismo MC GT4

was presented in 2015 on the occasion of the last event of the Maserati World Series Trophy on the Abu Dhabi circuit and made its successful debut on the

Monza circuit, in the 2016 GT4 European Series championship. The car proved to be very competitive also in the North American Pirelli World Challenge

championship, in the GTS class

The bodywork of the Maserati Gt4 is very different from the GT3's. The model has working front lights, a motor of about 17000 RPM and a one-piece chassis

designed by Slot.it for Policar, in sidewinder configuration and with adjustable magnet. The axles, wheels, tires and bushings are the same found on Slot.it models

The bodywork weighs 22g, which is light for a model of this size and complexity. The interlocking passenger compartment, like the more recent Slot.it models,

can be removed and replaced without any effort, reaching a weight of about 16g with a thermo-formed interior.

The chassis is designed to directly accept the universal Slot.it 'type C' chip (oXigen / Scalextric SSD / Carrera D132) or the new digital chip for Carrera D132, with

no adaptation necessary other than the wiring. The clip for mounting the digital chips and some spare braids are included under the base of the box of the car.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

And another railway modelling software has released a version which includes the Policar track system - along with other existing slot track systems

anyrail1.jpg

anyrail2.jpg

Now we have an additional Policar track design layout option for PC users

Like RailModeller, this is a Railway software, addended with Slot Car track layout design

AnyRail is a great software, it's very easy to build layout without a pain: https://www.anyrail.com/en

You can use AnyRail for free if your layout has a maximum of 50 sections of track, above you have to buy a reg. key US$59

Slot.it have just released technical details for the Policar GT4 version of the Maserati GranTurismo, and at the same time, pictures of the 2nd livery, which will come in Q4 along with the first.

There is also some background on the race series from which they are modeled.

The chassis is similar that used on the Subaru BRZ. Inline, with plastic wheels, but has a new motor of 17,000rpm, as opposed to the 13,000 rpm motor in the BRZ - Torque figure not stated.

The chassis is "chip ready" for Slot.it oXigen and the digital systems from Carrera and Scalextric

ct03a.jpg

ct03b.jpg

ct03a-2.jpg

The Maserati GranTurismo MC GT4 derives from the MC Trofeo version, used in the Maserati's own Trofeo championship, in compliance with the regulations

of the category launched by the SRO Motorsport Group.

The technical differences are aimed at reducing the performance of the MC Trofeo version, to align the MC GT4 to competing category cars.

The reduction of aerodynamic efficiency, with the adoption of a smaller rear wing, a redesigned extractor and splitter and a higher ground clearance, as well

as the installation of a suction restrictor, allow an estimated slowdown of the car on average 1 , 5 "/ lap compared to the MC Trofeo. The GranTurismo MC GT4

was presented in 2015 on the occasion of the last event of the Maserati World Series Trophy on the Abu Dhabi circuit and made its successful debut on the

Monza circuit, in the 2016 GT4 European Series championship. The car proved to be very competitive also in the North American Pirelli World Challenge

championship, in the GTS class

The bodywork of the Maserati Gt4 is very different from the GT3's. The model has working front lights, a motor of about 17000 RPM and a one-piece chassis

designed by Slot.it for Policar, in sidewinder configuration and with adjustable magnet. The axles, wheels, tires and bushings are the same found on Slot.it models

The bodywork weighs 22g, which is light for a model of this size and complexity. The interlocking passenger compartment, like the more recent Slot.it models,

can be removed and replaced without any effort, reaching a weight of about 16g with a thermo-formed interior.

The chassis is designed to directly accept the universal Slot.it 'type C' chip (oXigen / Scalextric SSD / Carrera D132) or the new digital chip for Carrera D132, with

no adaptation necessary other than the wiring. The clip for mounting the digital chips and some spare braids are included under the base of the box of the car.

A running mate for the Scalextric GT4 Mustang when that comes out.

• Vinno unpinned this topic
  • 2 months later...

Gooooolly, I am a bit behind on newsie things.

Slot.it just released prototype pics of the Policar generic modern F1 car which was announced at Nuremberg Toy Fair in Feb. 
It will come in 5 colours. Release has shuffled back about 3 months to October/November, due to the Covid interruption to development.

One change is that they are not able to supply the cars with the magnets to clip on the detachable nose due to - yup, you guessed it, European safety regulations. So the nose spoilers will be attached by a tiny clip. But they will be "magnet ready" with a pack of tiny magnets available at a nominal cost. (Those 8 packs will do 4 cars)

The official news release says
The models will be a pre-assembled and pre-painted Monoposto with endless painting possibilities!
Extra digital-ready chassis included.
They are supplied as partially assembled kits. There is a decal with driver's helmet screen, dashboard and seat belts.
The front wing is attached with a small clip. We cannot supply magnets due to safety regulations, for now."
PDF with the main specification data

CAR07-black.jpg

CAR07-blue.jpg

CAR07-red.jpg

CAR07-silver.jpg

CAR07-white.jpg

The latest version of Ultimate Racer 3.0 with updated track layout libraries is now available for download from their site.

http://www.uracerweb.org/

It includes a revised library for Policar track, which I wrote for Pierrick, with contrasting grey borders, rather than red/white ones. I also fixed a couple of display bugs on the track itself.
- Same revision of download as where I wrote the ScaleAuto track system files.

Hopefully not a sign of the times - generic shaped cars with no liveries. I suspect it will be the case for F1 cars from now on. Motorsport that makes and spends millions if not billions and yet they still want to squeeze some dollars out of Scalextric or NSR or Slot.it if they want to sell a toy car for around $80-$100.

How many will they sell 1500 - 2000 - what maybe 5000 cars across all manufacturers - so licence fee would be what $1 - $2 - $5 couldn't be much more but even if it was $10 per car that is only $50000 heck motor sports burns that like nothing. Soap box away LOL

I actually like the idea of these Policar F1 cars. I would like to see them with liveries,  but I paint lots of my cars so not such an issue for me, but I would be in the very minority.

My issue is that I can't see them being competitive with the NSR F1 cars, especially on wood tracks. I hope I'm wrong on that one.

There was a video article by Dave Kennedy on "another forum" recently about thinking we may have seen the end of liveried, and even any "real model" F1 cars in the slot car world.
It was along the lines of DangerMouse's post above.

As he was with SCX, then Carrera 7 years, then Scalextric USA the last 2 1/2 until he became a corona-casualty in March, I imagine he is in an almost unique position to have presented this as a likely reality.

And you have to remember that when it comes to licenses, the licence amount is applied at the manufacturer level. If we assume the standard business principle running your business on margins, a license fee of say 1 dollar oz gets blown up through the distribution chain at national supply chain and retailer level, so it is a significant cost factor in a sick world economy.

• 2 weeks later...

Arriving at dealers in about two weeks will be the new model from Policar, The Ferrari 312B2, which minds greater than mine tell me in possibly the most beautiful F1 car ever.

The first livery is a reproduction of the #2 car which won at Zandvoort 1971

car05a-6.jpg

car05a-7.jpg

car05a-8.jpg

car05a-5.jpg

• 7 months later...

The first two liveried monoposto cars are due out in the next month. Policar have named these "Tribute liveries" - ie, fantasy liveries of days gone by race teams applied to the modern modeled F1 cars.
Purists will have one finger down their throat at the very concept, but the cars look pretty to this slot-Cretan. 

GEMS F1 CAR07A "BENNETON"
car07a-2.jpg

car07a-4.jpg

GEMS F1 CAR07B "SURTEES TS20" 

car07b-2.jpg

car07b-5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The motor in these is the same 24.5k ff050 as in their classic GP cars. It is a very moderate power - similar to a Hawk or Scalextric motor.
The one advantage of power to weight over a saloon type car, gives them a little more oomph, but not the same sort of beast as an NSR 86/89 with that big boxer FK180.
The final gearing seems good, they have enough brakes due to the gearbox, and final ratio.

The single white body unit I have so far set up, does go well on my smooth surface wood track, just with the stock C series tyres.
The long wheelbase gives them a nice feel of handling - to me at least.

The G25 series of tyres have just come available for these. It will be interesting to hear how these change handling characteristics for different plastic and wood track surfaces. 

Would you believe, for me, the test comparison is a 1970s, "plastic toy blob" Scalextric F1, as we run them as a class in club. The earliest ones, which have a Johnson motor get an upgrade with a standard Scaley FC130 held in place with hot glue.
We glue and true F22 or NSR Ultragrips on the back, remove the slop in the rear bushes, and tube the front axles, and glue and true the fronts, soft braid, and a spot of weight. Those can run almost the same lap times as a Group C !!! - and my Monoposto is also running almost similar lap times. I haven't tried any alternate tyres yet. That would probably make it faster due to the native handling characteristics.

I don't really have time to do any videos at present....

• Like 1

Hi all.

Leading on from Mark's comments I run my old Scaly Gp car (similar to HB ones and actually bought from Big Mac) with a similar set-up but have up-graded motor to an old Slot-it Orange 21500rpm motor. Mine has Slot-it F22's on back.

Do not have one of these Policar ones yet but tempted as I like to try different cars. I like the price as I am cheap and NSR is rather expensive. I do have one of the Policar Lotus 49's but have not really used it very much. Great looking little car but a bit delicate for racing from my point of view so generic car looks like a good idea. Like the later NSR's the liveried ones look just as good as the real deal in my opinion anyway. I like to leave my authentic ones to my Tasman Cup car builds.

My Scaly is not too much slower that NSR F1. Sure it loses a bit on straights but is almost as good in other departments and it is not running entirely right yet. Agree it is at least as fast as a good Group C.

Look forward to a more in-depth review and performance comparison for a standard Policar. The NSR is probably one of the best out of box cars I have come across. Only the Thunderslot is better to my mind.

Regards Chas Le Breton

• Like 1

Is it possible to have a 4 lane policar layout using 2 policar power track sections?  

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion

You could in theory open up one powerbase and extend the wiring from the controller section to the rails, as the track section just has 4 screws - see pic below.
But alternately, you could just do commercial track wiring.

policarpowerbase.jpg

Do take note that the Policar powerbase is wired positive polarity - like club tracks, not negative polarity - like other set brands such as Scalextric/Ninco etc.
So if you want to use any good quality controllers with Policar powerbases, you would need to either wire the 3.5mm plug yourself onto xxx brand of resistor or positive polarity electronic controller 
- or use the Professor Motor models specifically made for Policar PMTR2148 and PMTR2149, which are a resistor controller and an electronic controller like the PMTR2113 for Scalextric/Ninco, but configured positive polarity and wired into the 3.5mm plug for Policar.

I have a red Ferrari 412 on backorder. Curious to see what its like. I think it arrives this month.

After that I will order a generic F1 car as well. Harry Wise done a clip on them and went through some details for the front end and improving it.

Cheers Warren

Edited by Oldskool62

Hi all.

Just received my Policar silver generic F1 car this morning. Usual great service from the Slot Race Shop/NZSlots/Mark Burgess.

I immediately saw it was a bit of a kit but no problem with that. Had I read reviews that would have been clear.

First step was to pull nearly everything apart. Liked the 3 long clean shank body screws in case adjustment is required. 

Actually clipped the rear wing on before pulling car apart but that was an easy exercise. It is perhaps a bit like the NSR one which gets knocked off quite easily - perhaps by design. Both could of course be glued on as they look quite solid in other respects.

Chassis looks simply but very neat with small clip so wires can be easily separated presumably to make it easier to fit digital gismo. Car comes with a second chassis to make this even easier. Motor pod, gear box and rear axle assembly just clips in and is fastened with 4 screws. Front axle assembly looks quite sturdy (better than NSR as he who shall not be named broke mine first time I let him try). Secured by 2 more screws to enable chassis change if required.

Two long grab screws with appropriate allen key are provided no doubt to enable some front axle height adjustment. Other parts to be added include driver, driver pod, steering wheel, Halo protector and 3 small transfers. Only disappointment was lack of front wing clip in basic kit or alternative attachment system. While this is apparently deliberate (available as a separate part - I am aware reason) it is virtually impossible to fit securely without said clip without resorting to glue. I intend to make a non-magnet clip so will let you know how I get on.

Unlike the NSR which is fitted with a small magnet in front of motor there is none in Policar and no molded position for one to go. There is plenty of flat surfaces though to which a magnet can be glued if required. I in fact took the magnet out of my NSR although its only function was to add a little weight on non-magnet wood track.

Front axle assembly and wheels/tyres look good but I had to ease one wheel off slightly as no play. Tyres look reasonably true on the plastic wheels.

Rear wheels/tyres also look reasonably true but tyres may need a bit of adjustment on the ali hubs. The whole rear assembly looks quite robust and gears mesh great. Note the adjusting collar on the rear axle allowed a bit too much side play but easily fixed.

Next step will be try out of box. Hope this is of some interest. Regards Charles Le Breton

• Like 1

Whoops. Before running I forgot I could not easily fasten front spoiler without gluing. Did not want to do that.

See the magnets required are available from Slotraceshop - $7.50 for 8 magnets - for 4 cars. At less than $2 a pair why not include and say increase price to $90. There is a chance for a bit of initiative Mark. Appreciate it was not your decision to market separately but how many of us are going to buy 4 cars? I am hoping mine will be compatible in performance with some of my other F1 cars.

A bit of Kiwi DIY however and I cut down a couple of old magnets to fit and glued them in with a bit of silicone in case I decide to remove. later. Seems though that a small bracket might be required to keep the spoiler level but perhaps the proper magnets are stronger than my home made ones.

Next step definitely to try on track but probably tomorrow now.

Regards Chas Le Breton

• Like 1

Hi Oldskool62 and Shaynus.

NSR has a much more powerful motor too but other smight be more drivable. Hope to do first track test tomorrow "out of box" except assembly as described. If it is as good as my modified Scaly I will be very happy but imaging I will have to at least glue and true tyres. NSR was very good OTB but better and more predictable now. Quite happy to take my time. Some of review seem to suggest best if raced as club class. We will see.

Good to hear from you jokers. Regards Chas Le Breton

• Like 1