Policar

gazza

Interesting comments about the gearing, I agree. One of the early posts from Andi was that slim motors need the short gearing because they lack torque and brakes!

I have spent a lot of time on my Lotus and still it is not as good as the Fly Lotus and Williams, even with the 6,000 extra RPM. So now has Fly motor fitted and will try some gearing changes.

The Fly motor is to comply with our class rules.

I have the 'go faster' axle in mine, and whilst it helps, it's probably still the equivilent of 9/28 gearing in the fly...

Now, that is much better than the 8/28 equivilent that it started with...

But boy oh boy does it handle...

I'm running MJK Pro-Slot 21/11 tyres on it, and MJK March 761's on my fly's, and the Policar definately out handles the fly's, but is strugling on the straights...

And yes, shorter gearing on slim line motors does helps create brakes, which is why my Torana with 8/27 is so much better than it was with 9/27...

• 11 months later...

A new track system

My pre-amble

Policar have announced a track system. For those not familiar with the name other than the recent F1 cars,

Policar, and later known as Polistil in Italy, was to the Italians, all that Scalextric and Hornby were to generations of Brits

- and us Antipodean exports.

The company went broke many years back, but the brand name was bought by Maurizio Ferrari of Slot.it a few years ago,

and the brand that inspired him as a child was brought back to life.

- We need to thank his grandfather for buying him that first Policar set or we might not have Slot,it today!

Also, for those of us more familiar with club racing on wood, we have to remember that on the European continent, the large

majority of club racing; and nearly all major events, are held on plastic tracks.

And of those tracks, the largest percentage would be Ninco tracks, the textured surface having been designed for "non-magnet"

club racing. The tyres we use for wood racing, were in fact designed first and foremost for use on those tracks.

Now the information as offered by Policar

For Policar we must distinguish between the old Policar 60s ones, and what later became known as 'Polistil'

policar1.jpg

policar2.jpg

From the 'old' Policar ', which had a distance between the lanes of about 7 cm, we took example from small clips that

allow you to lock the side pieces, and roughness, which is more similar to that of the Ninco track. Here you can see

the side of the clip area.

policar3.jpg

The track is approximately as the Polistil (9cm), also made of rigid material, and with frontal plastic connectors.

policar4.jpg

policar5.jpg

On the sides of the connectors you can see four passageways where you can pass an additional wire to carry extra

cables current under the whole track. Of course we have studied the contacts in order to have a good connection,

but the current never enough, especially with the digital system.

policar6.jpg

The same joints are used to hold together, if desired, multiple lanes.

policar7.jpg

The Guardrail and loop are already in production. The curb, the straight middle, and two supports for the guardrail

tape are prototypes, but the molds are already in the finishing straight.

You may have noticed in particular:

1 - the coupling to the base of the guardrail, which gives an excellent impact resistance. Even the coupling system

between the ends of adjacent guardrail works very well.

2 - the width of the curb 60mm

policar8.jpg

We have made many tests before opting for the rough track. The smooth track is very good, as long as there is a little 'dust

- at that point it becomes a skating rink. We hope to have made the right choice, it was a difficult decision

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Looking the goods there...

Hopefully it's a suitable replacement for the aging ninco system.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a bit more information that filtered through from Policar

The system is planned initially for four lanes, soon to be expanded to six in the second half of 2018. The track is in hard plastic, with

textured surface to guarantee excellent grip even without traction magnets. Lane spacing is 90mm. Borders are wider than competing

tracks, measuring 60mm in width, with a triple guardrail as well as a simpler ribbon type one. An adapter for a Spanish track system

which is commonly used by racers is also being made.

Digital lane changing system and extension to eight lanes is planned for 2019.

They plan to have it on show at the Nuremberg Toy Fair. Maybe we will get more pics in a few weeks via Fair reports.

So that answers some of the questions we've had.

I also notice that Slot.it sell some cars already chipped with SSD

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

• 2 weeks later...

for what I have read so far it is more similar to ninco that carrera. I like those 3 layers of guard-rails: much more actual that the 2 of ninco and scalex.

the most interesting part will be their lane changers. Given that slot.it will have full control on this project I am really curious what they are going to do ;-)

Exciting time ahead of us.

Cheers

G

"I am an expert at the top of my field when mowing the lawn".

Yes, that is the plan, as Ninco gives more consistent grip through the texture in "real world" situations of dust etc for rug racers. - and for clubs.

You would know better than any of us, the ratio of Ninco to other track systems in Italy - apart from those clubs which still have the old Policar track.

So making it compatible with Ninco also halps with expansion projects.

The pieces you are seeing pics of, are the same pieces I saw last May, which aren't from the new molds, so don't have the final surface.

But it seems Maurizio will be showing the real thing live at Nurenberg, so I imagine distributors will get more information in the next few days as well.

As it is now officially the 22nd, I can now say that there is ANOTHER new track system coming - The embargo lifts when Europe wakes up in a few hours.

Expect public information on that tonight.

They are doing big things - those folk at Scaleauto - I am looking forward to the 1/24 scale adjustable home chassis - I have quite a few kits that I think they will be a good fit for

Yes. but the announcements at SFI put up on the 19th for ScaleAuto 2018 will have put someone in a pot of boiling water. Distributors were told not to release that 2018 information until the 22nd.

Hence that other thread data I just did tonight once Europe had woken up to Monday

• 2 weeks later...

First news from Nurenberg - actually there may not be much more as only Slot.it/Policar among the regular hobby brands have a stand this year.

There is a video on the Policar Facebook page which shows a test track live at the fair.

There were prototypes of three new cars sitting on the track.

A Ferrari 330 P4

car06.jpg

A liveried Toyota GT86 - I think I had a play with this last May on the Ninco test track in the Slot.it office. I remember driving two or three cars, but not what they were. Very smooth for simple, non-podded samples.

A Generic modern F1 - Sorry no shots of these as yet.

Looking at all 3 cars, and considering the European market's love of F1 and plastic sets. It is easy to see where they are positioning some of these new cars - even the P4, which was a very popular model for Scalextric in sets.

Of course we won't complain at getting a P4 for club racing either :)

I am surprised at the amount of fuzzy love being shown for the P4 already on the Policar Facebook page - and a couple of comments here already early morning. It is sure going to be a popular model.

And the Toyota GT86 - Must say I am not familiar with this car, but it seems to hit a chord with some others out there.

gt86.jpg

gt86-2.jpg

gt86-3.jpg

gt86-4.jpg

• 1 year later...

Golly, someone kick the butts of those meant to be posting the news - start with Gazza, even though he has actually been doing some. I am allergic to pain

On the way to stores as we speak. - It is fitted with an upgraded chassis, which has 4mm additional guide lead - see pic at bottom.

March 701 #23 - Monaco 1970 CAR04c Driven By Ronnie Peterson

car04c-1.jpg

car04c-2.jpg

car04c-3.jpg

car04c-4.jpg

car04c-5.jpg

car04c-6.jpg

car04c-7.jpg

car04c-8.jpg

Chassis: Podded** New version chassis as below

Motor: Slot.it PMX01 FF-030 24,500rpm mounted as inline

Axle & Gears - 2.38mm (3/32nd)

Gearing: Robust Hewland style 3 gear-box as pictured at bottom to provide torque & braking unique to Policar

Z1: Pinion is 9T brass

Z2: Step-down gear 25/16T Plastic

Z3: Crown 17T Brass

Hubs: front 14.4mm x 8.3mm - plastic

Hubs: Rear 14mm x 12mm - Plastic

Tyres front: Product code PT1220C1

Tyres rear: Product code PT1219F22

marchchassis-2.png

gearbox.jpg

• 7 months later...

Some pretty news from Policar today.

The Ferrari 312B2

The official blurb reads

Ferrari 312B2 #2 - 1st Zandvoort 1971

Driver: Jacky Ickx

Code: CAR05a

availability June 2020

Ferrari 312 B2 by Policar - NEW MOULD

The Ferrari 312 B2 is arguably one of the most beautiful F1 cars ever. Such a model deserves to be done with proper accuracy.

Time went by faster than we thought, but eventually, we're finally able to deliver our first Ferrari F1 model, the beautiful 312 B2. We have designed different noses, spoilers, rear wings , suspensions and many more details in order to match the different shapes that the car was raced with.

Our reproduction of the cars of 1971 comes with standard front wings, shock absorbers mounted right under the rear wing, and period correct motor cover. The faired front wings were only used once at the British GP and will be the subject of a later model.

Changes for the 1972 model include the recognizable big rear wing, shock absorbers placed in a more usual position, different suspension leverage attachment to the chassis, and the wide front nose that was used only in South Africa on all cars.

We have also designed a new set of 13" wheels and tyres that will be used where necessary for all Policar models.

All models are built around the state of the art, unsurpassed Policar motor mount and drive train.

car05a-2.jpgcar05a-3.jpg

car05a-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Policar releases for 2020 - The list is below.

But first up the T001a BRZ drift track is now available from Armchair Racer sub $200 what a great way to get the kids/grandkids into Slots.

T001a-1.jpg

There are some already announce like the 312B2, but I'll load the lot.

New mould for 2020

This livery we knew - CAR05A

car05a.jpg

But this is a new announcement - the next livery - CAR05B

car05b.jpg

The 2nd livery of the 412P2 - CAR06C

car06c.jpg

A re-working of the Lotus 72 mould brings this - CAR02F

car02f.jpg

The next March - CAR04e

car04e.jpg

A Policar Homeset spec version of the Slot.it Maserati GT4 - CT03a

ct03a.jpg

Six plain colour Subaru BRZ

ct01-all.jpg

The Subaru WRX - CT02a

ct02-a-2.jpg

And the 2nd livery of the BRZ, specced as the Toyota GT86 - CT01b

ct01-b-1.jpg

And lastly a generic modern F1

This project has been underway for some time. The NSR generic 86/89 historic F1 has already hit the market.

I do not know where they will position this for specification and price point. The test car I have a pic of, shows Alloy wheels - on a Policar brand F1....

genericF1-3.jpg

• Upvote 1

• Vinno unpinned this topic