My Repaints/Scratchbuilds/Restorations-By Mattcrackers

mattcrackers

Hi all,

Thought I'd start a thread for myself so I can add my repaints/scratchbuilds/restorations as I go instead of having numerous threads.

Here's some old and new for now.

Scalextric/Triang-Lotus 16

36223905424_7f0491f9be_o.jpg

The Lotus 16 already has its own thread, see here-

First Scratch Built Chassis - So Far

Munters-1957-resin Corvette (still to have a chassis built-will get there one day)

36223914404_b3e7a2550c_o.jpg36223914274_eb2a962d76_o.jpg36223914724_7480ecbddd_o.jpg

Scalextric-BMW M3-Peter Brock

37058657205_35a184ed4b_o.jpg36223918964_6c822cc046_o.jpg

36223919314_193e1a749f_o.jpg37058656975_0194500df1_o.jpg

This started life out as a black body with no decals, I've added front and rear lights using white and red LED's, some resistors and a couple of diodes, used this type of lighting before to repair SCX cars, not my idea on how to do the lighting, found it elsewhere but you can light a shedload of cars for bugger all. I gave the body a prime, white undercoat and a final coat of BMW 1988 white from the Powerplus paint range. The decals were from Pattos, peel and stick type and the car was also given a couple of clear coats. Still needs some new rubber too.

cheers

Matt

Edited by mattcrackers

Hi John,

I cheated really. As I had 2 of your resin bodies I'd thought I try one as is and I'd muck around with the other. The Corvette pictured above has had the lights, windscreen, front grill and rear lights cut out and replaced with some plastic chrome parts from a 1:34 1957 Corvette diecast I picked up off ebay for $9. I wasn't sure if the parts would be plastic or metal but I was lucky that they were plastic and were of a very similar size to the body you had cast. The rest of the chrome look parts (front bumpers, door handles and trim around driver) were painted with a cheap can of Aluminium from the local bunnings shop. I'm hoping to build a chassis for it sooner than later and I think once it has a goat of clear the paint will come up a lot shinier too.

cheers

Matt

Hi Mattcrackers

Great to see some of your work on Auslot. Remember seeing the Lotus 16 last time I was in Perth. Look forward to seeing more of your projects finished.

Have just received McLaren M12 from Munter. Excellent moulding job. Look forward to building up car possibly for next years Canam Proxy.

Just finishing off Cooper Climax T60 for VRAA. Are you going to build car for next years Tasman Cup?

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Hi Chas,

I've a few cars to start let alone finish, I understand now how people end up with all types of unfinished projects, something else always comes along that takes your interest and everything else gets left on the back burner. Since joining WASCRG last year I seem to be playing around with my racing cars more than finishing some of the projects I started. Not sure about next years Tasman yet, i still could build the T53 Cooper I picked up off Munter some time back, we'll see.

cheers

Matt

Scalextric-Aston Martin DBR9-Pro Performance Kit

Did this one a few years ago now, this was my first crack at applying decals/stickers to a model, shows just how newish i am to the hobby. I remember putting the 30000rpm motor in it straight away and launching it off the table, took it out and replaced it with the 20000rpm motor. Now that I can control cars a little better it has had the 30000rpm motor back in it for a while and I can do some decent lap times on my home Scaley Sport Digital layout (in Analogue mode of course). The car has been used quite a fair bit so not in showroom condition anymore either, been on its roof a bit. I painted the Aston using the Powerplus spray packs once again followed by a decent coat of clear, pity I didn't take some snaps from when it was first painted.

36223920204_cd85258b57_o.jpg36223919894_731dc5e36b_o.jpg

36223919654_28c8340eaa_o.jpg

I know some don't like these Scaley Pro cars but IMO they run quite well compared to your basic Scaley, always a bit of fun to be had.

cheers

Matt

Edited by mattcrackers

• 2 months later...

Scalextric 1969 Chevrolet Camaro

I've had this Camaro for a while now, both front and rear bumpers had been broken off the car, motor packed it in a while ago and it was pretty much just well and truly used.

The original Scalextric Camaro.

36223915344_c9c4ce9578_o.jpg

I originally repainted this car another blue (can't remember the name) but this was again used well so it was time for a new paint job.

Removed all paint back to bare plastic, primed, undercoated white and applied a top coat of white from the Powerplus range of auto paints (leftover from the Brock BMW earlier in the thread). Wheels were painted with an Aluminium type spray paint.

36223916614_8fdc9003b5_o.jpg36223916614_8fdc9003b5_o.jpg

I was going to leave the car as is but it will be used in a Scaley American Muscle class for some casual racing so decided on putting a couple of decals on. I had some spare decals left over from a Pioneer white Mustang kit I'm working on so decided to have my first crack at waterslide decals, took a little time but I got the hang of them and am now confident enough to get more in the future.

36223915814_2cc2706ebb_o.jpg36223916104_f51429cdc1_o.jpg

36223916394_d51007849b_o.jpg

I also had a spare set of MJK's for my Nascar so these were used for better grip on the rear end, the cars handling has improved both on the home Scaley sport track and on a local wood track although I'm still to have a look at the front end as the guide seems to be lifting the front end up quite a bit. I decided not to replace the bumpers as they will only be broken off again and I'm still to add my 7 cent lights to the front and back of the car. Still quite happy with whats now a newish looking car.

Edited by mattcrackers

I used the PowerPlus clear as I have with all my repaints, since I only put the clear over the decals yesterday I'm not sure how they wil hold up, I did put a couple of coats on though and the decals seem like they're stuck well and truly in place. I did use Humrol DecalFix when applying the decals though, as this was my first time using waterslide decals I thought this car was a good candidate for a test run.

cheers

Matt

Very nice there Matt...

If you hadn't seen the before pics, you would never know they were repainted.

Don't know about a top job Embs, used what I had laying around, could have applied more decals but I sort of liked the simplicity of the Camaro as is.

Sorted out the problem with the guide tonight, the two metal tabs from the motor wires were bent down on too much of an angle, now sorted the front end sits well lower than it did, means I can now use the razor and lower the front end some more.

• 1 year later...

After Munters 'Scratchbuillt Roll Call' thread it got me thinking about some of my todo jobs packed away in the shed.

I picked up one of Munters Lotus 16 kits he made up some time back so I thought I'd have another crack at at least starting it.

Nothing was planned for yesterday afternoon so I cracked a beer and away I went.

36223908984_13cd17bcd6_o.jpg

Here's some of the items I had already in the pic above.

- Munters Lotus 16 kit

- Cambers motor brackets

- BWA 15" narrow aluminium rims and 8 tooth pinion

- Slot.it 24 tooth inline crown gear and 2mm motor screws

- Scalextric tyres and Scalextric F1 motor

- Solarbotics motor

- Plafit 3/32 oilites.

36223908784_2d5f325b0b_o.jpg

I soldered the oilites to the motor bracket, bent up some 2mm brass rod and soldered this to the motorbracket.

36223908564_5ed182c784_o.jpg

Fitted Solarbotics motor and axle to check alignment. Either motor will fit but I'm just going to use this one for now.

36870540076_63ecb2bf9f_o.jpg

Here I've used a front axle bracket I had made up previously, soldered into place and checked for alignment again.

36870539896_4476852d80_o.jpg

A little bit of body work needed to fit the chassis, great job by John on the finish to the resin body, more work to be done on the body as the build goes on.

36870539786_75c0da2df8_o.jpg

Test fit the wheels and tyres to see how it sits, I'm hoping to be able to source some more aluminium rims similar to the BWA ones used here, I think they were the 15" Narrow wheels.

36870539576_60c6f2cf05_o.jpg

I thought I'd put up a pic of the cricket bat I use to solder with, I could purchase a smaller sized iron but for the amount of use this one gets there's no need.

Not bad for an afternoons work, and very enjoyable.

I'll post more pics as the build progresses over time.

Cheers

Matt

Edited by mattcrackers

Good start Matt. I found the RS Slot Racing wheels are a useful substitute for the BWA ones, although the finish on them isn't quite as nice. Another option is Ranch Design, although I've not had a response from the last order I sent him and am just about to follow it up.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Cheers Munter, probably could of done some more yesterday afternoon but was enjoying the beers too much, might have made a mistake or two if I kept on going(with the build not the beers).

Thanks for the other tips on where to get the wheels from Embs, I have seen these names before, I'll have a look around at what's available.

I did pick up some Ninco 32 spoked wheels the other night which might look ok on these type of cars.

I actually have 2 Lotus 16's on the go, the other I started when I finished my first Lotus 16 build some years ago now.

The wheels/tyres on Munters Lotus 16 will stay, I may use the original wobbly wheels on my other Lotus 16.

Cheers

Matt

Hi Matt.

I used Cartrix plastic wheels on the front of my Lotus 18/21 Hybrid when I re-built it for last years Tasman Cup. They were fine. Do not think I would risk on back but probably OK. Note Napier/Hawke Bay clubs who race Cartrix a lot but replace wheels with ali although I have had no problems myself.

See photo.

IMG_6667_zps3f3b5584.jpg

Regards Chas Le Breton

Looking good there Matt...

Nice watching these resin cars progress...

Hi Chas, I do have a few spare plastic wobbly wheels that will do the job on the fronts like you say and I have eyed off the Cartrix plastic wheels on Ebay a few times.

I'll see how this build progresses, think it's about time I did the shocks etc.

Cheers shadow, like yourself I like watching others builds as well, that's the best way to learn.

• 5 months later...

A few more cars I have painted.

Scalextric Ford Falcon in a Gulf fantasy livery.

MJK chassis, Scaley body, NSR running gear, wheels and tyres, pointer motor used for racing at WASCRG.

Runs OK with a bit of weight up front.

MJK Ford Falcon ute in another fantasy livery.

Scalextric standard chassis.

Still to fit the windows and interior.

36223914144_8033f45471_z.jpg

And a Monster truck.

Made from a Tamiya kit, runs quite well really, I have 2 of these, same motors but for some reason this one goes like a shower of @#$$.

My kids have had plenty of fun with these on the home Scaley track.

Inspired by Dave Stevens thread on Monster trucks.

36251213363_20007b3dfa_z.jpg

Hopefully get around to finishing some of my other cars in the near future.

cheers for looking.

Matt

Edited by mattcrackers

Hey Matt, looking good there. Just wondering about the ute, is it plastic or resin and did you make it or where did it come from if you didn't?

Also, I've just been browsing the rest of your thread and I'd really like to know the brand of the cheap aluminium paint you used on the Corvette

Edited by Wobble
bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Wobble, the ute is a MJK resin, took a bit of filling etc to get it up to scratch, probably why it took me so long to do, have had this one for a while.

The Corvette is a Munter resin body, I painted the door handles etc with the Aluminium paint (Squirts brand at Bunnings), comes up better than the silver IMO. Painted by brush after spraying into the lid.

The bumpers, lights etc were off an Ebay $9.99 diecast model, took a punt with the purchase hoping the chrome parts were plastic, bonus when it turned up and they fitted as well.

Phil, I'd like to one day build a purpose built track for the monster trucks, they really are fun and the kids do love them, they don't care about the speed etc but how many cars they can climb over.

A few of us over here in the West have made the Tamiya kits into slot cars now, probably the cheapest slot cars to make actually, might have to make a couple more as the young fella still likes the idea of a Scooby Doo one.

cheers

Matt

Edited by mattcrackers