Waterslide Decal Question

Camber

Has anyone used exterior waterslides on the inside of lexan bodies?

Yes,,,,that is how it was always done back in the day.

So do you need any sort of bonder/adhesive to get it to stick the other way around or just use setting solution?

Hoo Roo

I gave the body a wash in warm soapy water, dried it and then applied decals. I never used any solutions but if you were putting them over compound curves then use it.

What paint are you going to use?.....I used Ironlak brand spray cans. The paint seems to be an acrylic......and it is Australian I think.

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

Hi

If you get tweezers, flip the decal over when it is ready on the backing paper and some glue will apply to the top of the decal. It will then stick fine. I then use decal softener to get them to sit down nice. You should let them dry for a few days and then you can seal them with some clear before painting. I recommend Parma faskolor paints.

Hope that helps

Pete

Edited by Richo99

Richo

Nomad Raceway

Like John said, give the body a wash then when dry pop the decals on. I give a coat of acrylic clear over them just to stop any paint leaking through.

That Jo Sonja paint is one tough mutha. I tried to get it off in a bath of caustic soda and it wouldn't budge.

Chris.

Late Model

I will have to give the Jo Sonja a go.

Pete

Hi Pete

A mate put me on to Josonya's in 09 just before the Model car nats at Dapto & haven't looked back.Black & Red are the only ones I'd brush on as the others will leave brush lines.

I mainly use an air brush & thin it down with water until it just drips off the stirer.The Fas range has some very nice colors as well & dosen't react against the Jo sonya when doing more than one color.

Water based paint shoulden't react with the decals & if you brush on Tamiya clear on the decal this should stop any color bleeding through,at about $5 a tube for series 1 Jo sonya it's worth a try & if you stuff it up a tooth brush & warm water will remove it.

Cheers Jimmy :D

To finsh first,first you gotta finish

A quick note, if you're looking to use Jo Sonya paints through an airbrush, I would look at thinning with their flow medium rather than water. It will thin without decreasing the colour intensity or the adhesion and wear factors. They are very good quality acrylics. I use them a lot for my scenery work as well as painting driver figures.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction