Nsw 2014

Guest jazzbell

Thanks Cam. I have looked into this class a bit but it seems the guys that know it have a bit of a heads up. I have no problem with that as i always felt i had a bit of an advantage running plastic chassis against metal chassis guys and no doubt vice versa. The basic platform is easy enough. The chassis is nothing more than a roller skate with bearings added. The real trick is in the body and the way it is mounted. I saw a build of Cams on a different forum of a Dodge (go the valiants) but it was another body converted to a Dodge.

For all of us who are Nascar 1/24 virgins but would like a half way competitive car, perhaps someone in a different thread could do a build A-Z guide similar to what Shane has done in plastic chassis. He gave way too many secrets away but in the spirit of reciprocity i would like a similar helping hand in 1/24. Jimmy and Cam are obviously skilled in these cars and a little bit of knowledge could swell the entry numbers.

It is a beautifully simple car and giving folks a fighting chance could make the class a staple in upcoming national events.

Edited by first corner crash

4x national champion 6x national runner up. I come second most often but my girlfriends happy.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all of us who are Nascar 1/24 virgins but would like a half way competitive car, perhaps someone in a different thread could do a build A-Z guide similar to what Shane has done in plastic chassis. He gave way too many secrets away but in the spirit of reciprocity i would like a similar helping hand in 1/24.

Hi Trev,

I have already been talking to Shane regarding a build thread for these cars at next years MCN. We will get the rules sorted first, then put up a step by step build. Would be great to have Jim's input...I am pretty sure he has been building these things circa Noah's ark.

- Cam

Hoo Roo

Hi Trevor

Rules will be finalised by next week but basically the same as they were in 2009 MCN with a few updates that have evolved over the years.

Basically wheels have been expanded to allow a larger variety including some ready to run wheel/tyre combinations just to make it simpler.Locally we are running Plafit & JP spur gears just because they are the best & the chassis has been expanded to allow a locally manufactered OF-001 which is a replica of the MJK but a bit heavier so my preference would be the MJK unit just so I can add the weight where I want.

Cam & I will do an A-Z build later on & give up all our secrets :D

They are still our favourite 1/24th class of car & thats a big call as our other classes are Plafit & Scaleauto which are very good to race on the Pitstop track but the Nascars just have a little more realistic feel to them & very durable,the car I ran in 2009 & was a few years old then is still my best car & still running the some old Fox motor although the body has had a few rebuilds but still hanging in there.

Looking forward to catching up with you guys next year & I'm sure any one that builds a Nascar will have many hours of fun with them especially on the Ferradore tracks at Thunderbird as I did last year.

Cheers Jimmy :D

To finsh first,first you gotta finish

• 1 month later...
Guest jazzbell

Any feed back on testing with the foam tyres people in the 32 RTR cars?

My opinion super quick in all classes,defiantly a lot more grip.

Only car to sort the weight out will be the Ninco GT as I did find the Mosler wanting to tip. All my testing has been with the NSR 's tyres.

I'll do some back to back with the Scaleautos and compare.

Must admit ,don't care if I ever run rubber tyres again ,foam is the way to go even at club level,put them on and instantly fast.

Regards shane a

Team thunderbird

• 2 months later...
Guest jazzbell

Hi guys,

Please take note there has been a rule change for the Plafit 1/32 div 2.

Due to Plafit discontinuing the pointer motor the pointer will know longer be raced in this class at the MCN.

I've made the change in the rules,so now the Fox 11 will be the replacement motor.

So please take note on the change.

Regards shane a

Team thunderbird

Guest jazzbell

Guys due to circumstances im with drawing in taking part in helping with the Mnc now.

Any further rule changes on the plafit classes ,as more are going to happen,please refer to the Dapto guys or contact extreme trax or Werner ace hobbies.

Shane

Sorry to hear this Shane... Its rare to find someone with no commercial or financial interest do so much work to promote Scale Slotcar Racing. I totally understand your frustration in trying to run an event that you have no control over because of rule changes once they are past the deadline.

Edited by axman

I hear you Jason... But look at it this way. Shane has personally built 5 Mini Z's to get South Australian's into Plafit racing.. and going to the MCN. How would you feel having to rebuild all these cars with 5 new sets of wheels, 5 axle block rebuilds and 5 bodies now requiring to be re-mounted.. not to mention his own cars. On top of that he now has to ask all these guys to buy new wheels because of a stupid 1mm wheel change. And changed for what reason? They are such minor pathetic rule changes, with no performance value so why do this at all.

Edited by axman

Pardon me for 'Jumping in' here, whilst I doubt I will actually be competing at the 2014 MCN, I Have been (as usual) following the various 'threads' if for no Other reason than to remain 'Informed' of All the 'Going's On' etc as it were.

BUT, with regard to the 'posts' about the Mini-Z Tyre Diameter rules,..IF,..the Intention, IS to Stick with the 21mm Front and 22mm Rear diameters, (as outlined in the Only Rules I can find for the event so far), I am unsure Where/Why there is a problem.

Whilst HSC is not particularly Known for it's 'APC' like Rule adherence, Those diameters have been 'In-Place' since the Initial implementation of the Mini-Z class at HSC and upon checking, would also seem to have been the 'Designated' diameters for the Queensland Mini-Z rules for the past few years as well, Along with some of the Previous APC's and as far as I can tell, ALL of the previous MCN's, where the Mini-Z class was run.

As quite a few of the Dapto (ExtremeTrax) locals, also often attend races at HSC, I would venture that Their 'Local' rules would also 'Specify' the Same 21mm and 22mm Tyre diameters.

It would seem that perhaps Once again, it is ONLY the recent APC rules that have Changed to the 22mm ans 23mm Tyre diameter.

Please correct me if I am Wrong !!,..Obviously I do NOT want to Start Any further arguments etc, just suggesting that it could be a case of Chicken or Egg scenario,..IE; Which came First and Why Change etc.

One Has to suggest that a LOT could be learned from the Dreaded 'Wing Car' classes, where there really IS a Great History of Rule 'Stability', with Very Few changes (IF Any), in virtually All of the classes, World Wide, from when I stopped racing way back in the early '90's to Now !!

Just My $2.00 worth !!,..:):D,..I'll 'Sod Off' Now.

I DO Hope these 'Silly' discrepencies Can be Worked out for the 'Benefit' of All.

Cheers

:)

Hi

I was looking to make my first foray into Plafit racing classes this year at Dapto via the 1/32 GT class. Can some one point me in the direction of the "amended" rules so I can make a decision on whether I will continue to prepare a car and run in the class or not?

I have no interest in the politics or machinations involved with this but I wonder why there are changes being instigated so long after the original ones were posted publicly on this forum. If they are changed to allow for availability of components fair enough. Hopefully not the handiwork of vested interests.

Regards

Alan

Edited by lenny broke

I rarely post on forums anymore because of the content of some of the threads. But thought I might on this occasion. I have questioned my involvement in the hobby over the last 2 years due to some of the stuff you read and hear about the place. It really is quite petty. Just remember you are playing with toy cars, and what we do has no major influence in teh world.. Kids still get crook and people are starving. Put it in perspective men..

Weight change for Mini Z was because of the mixture of Fox powered cars and Pointer powered cars. An attempt to keep even. No other reason. Rear tyre diameter change is not a rim change. Is a minimal diameter change and Jason you are 100% correct. For asthetics. These are model cars and should look so. Not 458 Ferraris with Mini wheels. A minor change which will not effect many people at all but might make the cars look better..

Kim & Stoo, thanks for your input. I guess you can make the changes to the cars you race weekly..

I find this whole series of comments quite poor. Minimal change 6 months out from an event. You would have to change your tyres before then anyway one would think, or do you build a car today and put it in the cupboard... I believe it will only really effect one or 2 people who might have to slightly change a car. Most would run tyres to the new spec anyway so that the cars looked correct.. I might be wrong of course, often am..

Head outside and play cricket with your kids or enjoy the world and dont get wound up by such things. Remember, toy cars and a set of tyres is about 4.50 ????

Regards

Peter

Richo

Nomad Raceway

Hi

I was looking to make my first foray into Plafit racing classes this year at Dapto via the 1/32 GT class. Can some one point me in the direction of the "amended" rules so I can make a decision on whether I will continue to prepare a car and run in the class or not?

I have no interest in the politics or machinations involved with this but I wonder why there are changes being instigated so long after the original ones were posted publicly on this forum. If they are changed to allow for availability of components fair enough. Hopefully not the handiwork of vested interests.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

THe plafit rules are reviewed every January as has been the norm for as many years as I have been involved. Changes come about often due to parts changes (such as the pointer now no longer produced) and various other things that pop up during the year. Just the way it has been. Still 6 months away from the major event so there is ample time.

Pete

Richo

Nomad Raceway

Yep lenny, Richo is right. go outside and play cricket and enjoy the world until it gets closer to the event. Plafit is a great product, Plafit racers are great guys and the racing is fantastic. Ace hobbies is exceptionally good at distributing and product support. As a past multiple APC winner I have now learnt (the hard way) that dont do a final chassis prep or choose a body until about 8 weeks before the event. By then all the new body and chassis released are in place and the rules finalised. The Dapto event will be a great race and there are heaps of racers that will give you support and tips on how to build your car.

Edited by axman

I rarely post on forums anymore because of the content of some of the threads. But thought I might on this occasion. I have questioned my involvement in the hobby over the last 2 years due to some of the stuff you read and hear about the place. It really is quite petty. Just remember you are playing with toy cars, and what we do has no major influence in teh world.. Kids still get crook and people are starving. Put it in perspective men..

Weight change for Mini Z was because of the mixture of Fox powered cars and Pointer powered cars. An attempt to keep even. No other reason. Rear tyre diameter change is not a rim change. Is a minimal diameter change and Jason you are 100% correct. For asthetics. These are model cars and should look so. Not 458 Ferraris with Mini wheels. A minor change which will not effect many people at all but might make the cars look better..

Kim & Stoo, thanks for your input. I guess you can make the changes to the cars you race weekly..

I find this whole series of comments quite poor. Minimal change 6 months out from an event. You would have to change your tyres before then anyway one would think, or do you build a car today and put it in the cupboard... I believe it will only really effect one or 2 people who might have to slightly change a car. Most would run tyres to the new spec anyway so that the cars looked correct.. I might be wrong of course, often am..

Head outside and play cricket with your kids or enjoy the world and dont get wound up by such things. Remember, toy cars and a set of tyres is about 4.50 ????

Regards

Peter

Thanks Peter for putting everyting into the correct perspective.

Sometimes we all get carried away & don't see with a clear head with the KISS theory the smartest solution to a problem.

A hell of a lot of work is done before a big race meeting,last year at Dapto we held the 2013 APC,Werner put alot of hard work into make the event successfull as did the local racers with their only goal was to make it an event to remember for all the good things.

All major slot racing has a rule update regularly,Scaleauto's do theirs annually & this year will be the first time at the MCN that sponge rear tyres will be used for the plastic cars.

I know Werner very well & respect all he does for the hobby,he dosen't make changes to the rules willy nilly,all updates are for a good reason which is usually to keep everyone with the same equipment.He listens to racers concerns & encourages input from other racers that have the best interest of the hobby in mind.

The MCN at Dapto this year will be a great event with the evolution of all the class rules over the years making it better than the last.

HI Pete

Thanks for responding to my post. As I said this is my first attempt at a a plafit car so will be a new thing for me. I got wind of the rule amendments at my local raceway today from which I got the impression that the changes may affect what I was intending to do. When I got home and had a look here on the forum there is all this talk from people apparently in the know and no amended rules posted here so I asked where they might be found.

For me buying and setting up this car will be quite an outlay considering that I will probably get only one race at the MCN;s. There's no other opportunity to race the car for me beyond the MCN's.

Because I'm new to this form of racing I'm keen to get started on my car and get some experience with it well before I get to Dapto so all my early prep was based on the existing rules. The old hands obviously are able to set up a car in a relatively shorter time than I may be able to do but I have no spares to play around with and my local track has limited supplies so I'd like to get as early start as I can.

Fortunately some one has now pointed me to where the rules are posted so thanks to them.

Oh and Kym, Actually I lead a fairly busy l life full of other activities outside this hobby hence my liking an early start to my prep. so busy that I don't have time for flippant remarks like yours.

Have a nice day

Alan

Edited by lenny broke

Excellent. Well said Jim,

Hope to be there..

Pete

Would luv to have you at Dapto again Pete,tracks a bit more grippy but still the same shape as your last visit.

Try to talk Dave into coming as well & we can all have a bit of a laugh with our plastic cars just to dial into the track. :D

Not flipant Lenny.. sorry you misunderstand my post. Just trying to save you some grief. Like you, I am short on time so a few APC's ago I prepped my cars about 3 months in advance. Only weeks before the event New Chassis for Mini Z and Historics were released, also new lightweight wheels and the new Ferrari Body. Everyone was scrambling for the new bits and to this day they are still the winning combination. So.. not flippant mate.. just upset I was given no warning, and to be fair, neither was anyone else. Thats why out of respect to the racers that support Plafit we should have an advertised cut off point for any rule changes or new part releases.

Edited by axman

Hi Kym

I was referring to your opening line suggesting what I should have been doing with my afternoon. I didn't find it very helpful but after reading that bit I lost interest in the rest. On rereading I found the rest of your post encouraging, Thank you.. Anyway I agree with you on a cutoff date unless it is force majeur like the change to a Fox II in the 1/32 GT class because of the demise of the pointer.

It may have been better if the there was some public notification that the rules were going to change here on the forum and a reference to where they were before the discussion got started.At least the rest of would know what was going on. Not all of us are regular Plafit competitors and aren't necessarily "in the loop " but just the same are willing to have a crack at something new to us.

Alan

Edited by lenny broke

Thats Ok Lenny. I'm just a bitter and twisted old bugger these days that loves slotcars.. and like you, like a bit of stability so we can do some planning. As I said, the quality and level of racing in Plafit is fantastic. Nuff said. All the best with your racing.

I don't know what all the sooking is about?

"Once i have class rules up NO changes will be made after January 31st 2014."

^ That is a direct quote from the very first post in this thread, made by jazbel!

There's still 12 days to go before rules will be locked down!!

The way I read it.

And this behavior is the reason why myself and others I know will never have anything to do with the nationals.

ESPsix has the best post to date . FACT beats fiction every time .

Six month lead time still not enough for you Kim ,boy you are slowing down. In reality Jason $14 and 2 hours sort your Mini Z

Anyway , the MCN is a lot more than just Plafit , with a heap of RTR plastic classes and other metal chassis events. Try to look at the big picture. The Dapto boys along with the folks at Extreme Tracks will make everyone feel welcome and I'm sure all participants with have a memorable time .

Edited by Jacob