Round 7 - Isle Of Mann - Part 2

slotcarmann

Hi folks

Round 7 starts this afternoon at 1pm UK time.

We will run the same stages as in Round 6, but each of them in reverse direction.

On duty today are David Kneale, Barbs and me

Will also take some photos and video clips for you. If anyone wants a copy of their car's photos, you can always message me.

Round 2 is Wednesday evening and Round 3 sometime next weekend.

Best get my trigger finger warmed up!

Cheers

Dave

Let's hope the Manx cars run better in Round 7 after a lacklustre round 6. Must try and catch the Italian team back up in the country race! Good luck today Dave, Barbs and my old man.

Really looking forward to having an active role on Wednesday evening for Round 7 Stage 2!

81_zps7655c7d9.png

Evening all

Just sent the Results of Rd 7 - Stage 1 to Gazza and Mark.

We ran Pooil Vaaish in the reverse direction to the previous Round 6: David Kneale and Barbs marshalling, whilst I drew the short straw and ending up driving again. ;)

11 laps (22 circuits) instead of the 12/24 last time.

Finished the Stage just before 6pm, trouble with Xorxe's guide delayed us slightly, but after 4 attempts at a bodge job with 2 small pieces of lead and some superglue, we got there...! :wacko: Alexis also had a problem again with his guide, but that was resolved fairly quickly. What is it with these Greek cars? :huh:

Unfortunately the Italian invasion were all pretty quick, so no luck for Mr Tucker this time! :ph34r:

Well done to our Ryan, who managed a top six spot! :D :D :D

More of a report later on, plus a few photos.

Now though, I have an appointment with a lamb curry.... :lol:

Cheers

Dave

Edited by slotcarmann

Goodness. That's definitely got things shaken, not just stirred.

Well done Andi, Sciri and Islander.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

:D :D :D :D :D

Result! What a great weekend for Ecurie Splitrim........

Top Brit on 1st stage of Rnd 7, and a podium in SRGB .

Bring on the next stage Dave

I'm defiantly claiming your points now :D :D :D :D

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

An Italian resurgence, either responding to the fact that they feel empowered now their highest court has upheld the sentence to the most outrageous politician in Europe or just that it proves the undisputible fact the like doing things the wrong way round!

Well done Simon for top Brit honours, looks like you and I are taking on the challenge against the rest of the world.

Keep it going Dave et al, you should be able to do these stages blindfolded by now!

On that note, we do have a blind member at our club whom I am 'co-driver'. As part of our planned club's Christmas slot extravaganza we are thinking about running our tracks blindfolded paired up with someone who can navigate you round the tracks.

Matt

Could I get feedback as to what the problems are with my car please.

Is it underpowered unbalanced undrivable deslots at what points?

Or all of the above?

Would be good to know so one can use this information for future builds, this is/was the main reason I do proxies.

club-1.pngchristian-fish-symbola.jpg

THINGIEPHILE REBEL EXTRAORDINAIRE

Hi guys

Just to show you how difficult the Pooil Vaaish stage is, here is a photo, plus a couple of short videos.

No matter how many laps you have done and when you think you have cracked it, a fraction quicker can spell disaster.

The track is all made of Scalextric Classic track, so the slot isn't very deep and a lot of cars rattle over the joins - not good for the guides!

For hazards, there is a long wiggly bit and a hump-back bridge.

The special "humped crossover" piece :lol: , warped by the hot weather in the Isle of Man this summer, was particularly awkward the second time we ran it, yesterday. Also there are a couple of places, one at each end of the board, where the track has adverse camber on the outside lane.... :angry:

The calibre of the driver can also be an issue.... :rolleyes: especially if it's me!

In the two videos, Steve Morrow is driving, with Barbs on marshalling duties.

CIMG6820_zpsd95c593f.jpg

First vid - Curef99 on Pooil Vaaish 1

http://s838.photobuc...12b88a.mp4.html

2nd vid - Peter Gunn on Pooil Vaaish 1

http://s838.photobuc...3e8a2c.mp4.html

Cheers

Dave

Edited by slotcarmann

Hi folks

The day has dawned bright with fluffy white clouds and blue sky in between. However, rain tyres may be needed for this evening's stage, as slow-moving showers have been forecast for later on. :blink:

We'll be doing a photo-shoot this afternoon, prior to Stage 2 - Glencrutchery Road (aka TT Grandstand) in reverse. For those of you without reverse gear, this could be interesting. :lol: Mind you, my car seems to have been in reverse since the end of last season's Championship :unsure:

Ryan is driving tonight, with Barbs and me marshalling. We will be running in the order the cars finished Stage 1 on Sunday, so the Italian squad will be leading us away at around 6pm UK time.

I'll sort out the results of the Stage and e-mail them to Mark and Gazza before I head for my pit tonight.

More news much later today...!

Cheers

Dave

Hi Jaak

Of course I can tell you how your car is on any given track, with me driving it - but don't forget that all the tracks are different, there are different surfaces, so performance can be totally different from Stage to Stage and country to country. And even a simple thing like running a track in reverse direction can completely change a car's performance and drivability. Finally, it also depends on any given driver's style of driving, plus how much voltage is used for each track - we use 13.5v on each track for consistency's sake. Some drivers like to be smooth all the way round, whereas others tend to have a an on/off switch style. Steve, Ryan and I tend to favour the smooth style: we have regular club rally nights throughout the year, plus we have all competed successfully at/near the top of Slot Rally GB.

A few general points though. A lot of the cars that have had 3 offs or more have felt planted, but they reach a point where they de-slot unexpectedly - generally, these tend to be wider wheelbase cars with a fair bit of grip. Often they have little or limited body-rock. The cars with more body-rock seem to be less prone to unexpected offs. An extreme example is that Leo's car on TT Grandstand in Rd 6 had so much grip it kept binding against the round bales in the Grandstand car-park, where the corners are hairpin tight. It had no offs as such, but I had to push it 10 or 11 times when it got stuck. This also happened with many of the other wider wheelbase cars, but to a lesser extent. Whereas a lot of the Soobies and Mitisis, being a tad longer, had a bit more slide and went better (like mine)!.

It's that same stage in reverse tonight.... :o;):P:D:lol:

Outright speed is not the absolute key on any of our tracks - we have no long straights, longest is about 5-6ft - so good handling is essential. Acceleration/braking is important, but smoothness is the way to go. Some cars have plenty of zip, but have to tip-toe round the corners.

But that's half the fun of this proxy event - can you set a car up that will average a decent performance when you take all the rounds into consideration?

I could last year....but the same car is poor this year! :rolleyes:

The people at the top of the points table have the cars that generally go best....as should be the case.

I'll try and get some feedback from Ryan tonight on the cars as we go through them.

As it's over a total of 20 laps, you have time to get into a rhythm. :lol:

Cheers

Dave

Edited by slotcarmann

Hey Dave,

Thank you very much for the feedback much appreciated.

I realize that each track has it's own characteristics and that is the tricky thing about proxies.

Getting a car setup it will do well on most of the tracks that's why I am interested in how and what especially if it is not going as well as on others.

In general that means something is wrong with the setup or motor so the more I can learn from the weak performances the bigger the chance of a better all round setup the next time around.

Not sure if you will be there but we will be in Italy again for the Mini Monte Carlo.

Cheers and all the best,

Jaak

club-1.pngchristian-fish-symbola.jpg

THINGIEPHILE REBEL EXTRAORDINAIRE

Hi folks

Stage 2 result and Aggregate positions after 2 Stages have been sent to Mark and Gazza.

An enjoyable evening, we started just after 6pm and finished at 9:55pm, despite problems with 2 controllers and the Ninco timer. But it all came together in the end. :P

A few surprises up at the top on Stage 2, but no Tucker amongst them...!

But overall, there's a strong hint of red, green and white near the top - and it's not the Welshmen!

Both Ryan and I have some photos - and I have a few video clips - so will post some tomorrow morning.

Cheers

Dave

Thoroughly enjoyed running all the cars tonight. Some massive differences in handling, smoothness,speed and acceleration. One car in particular felt like it wouldn't deslot no matter how hard I pushed and ended up stage winner.

Thanks for the opportunity to drive Dave and looks like I have much to ponder for next years entry!

81_zps7655c7d9.png

My fall from grace wasn't much better Ben. Obviously the SCM Lancer didn't like going in that direction.

Congrats to Mario, Nisko and Matt for the stage podium. Further congratulations to Andi, Alexis and Chris for the round results.

A big thank you to the IoM contingent for the effort of running 2 rounds.

And a special congratulations to Fuzzy. Top 10 finish for the round.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction