charlesx

Hi all.

My original idea was to build another Cooper Climax T53 using experience of 2013 Tasman Cup (Cooper Climax T53 No.47).

VRAA requires BWA slim can motor so the former is not eligible (Solabotics motor).

It was tempting to just replace motor but at this stage I thought it better to have car to test against. Particularly so as my other car - Lotus 18/21 No.5 was such a failure.

With some new bodies recently obtained from Phil in Tassie however - Cooper Climax T60 and T79 - I am thinking of trying T60.

Thanks to the generous support of Dart Hobbies and Paul Gauge I have no shortage of building materials.

Watch this space.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

New Plymouth

New Zealand

Edited by charlesx

• 3 weeks later...

Finally have all the parts assembled for Cooper Climax T60 so it is go,go, go.

cooperT60parts2_zps1df90c55.jpg

In meantime have fixed my Lotus 18/21 and it now performs similar to Cooper Climax T53 at least on the track I tried. Mainly involved fixing sticking guide.

Have done some in initial tyre testing without gluing and trueing but in hindsight I need to mount tyres properly.

Will mount in next few days and sand and try again when I can get to track.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Edited by charlesx

good luck with the build Chas, shame you not in wellington this weekend.

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion

Hi all.

Have three sets of tyres glued and trued. Hope to try at Ahu Ahu Road track tomorrow so more on that score later.

Have nearly finished chassis of Cooper Climax T60 but soldering iron gave up ghost so will have to wait until next week to finish.

Also fitted chassis to body. I can now see why Cooper Climax T53 was recommeneded as first build. T60 was certainly much more of a challenge.

Still have to carve out body to fit gear. Will try and post some photos tomorrow.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Hi all.

Please see the first photos of my new creation - the 1962 Cooper Climax T60. My intention is to model Bruce McLaren's No. 6 car in which he won the Monaco and Reims-Gueux Grand Prix in the same year.

IMG_6182_zpsd1441470.jpg

IMG_6183_zpscdff2910.jpg

IMG_6184_zpsd5c3bc25.jpg

IMG_6185_zpsefa304cc.jpg

Chassis has been made with BWA motor and guide mounts with chassis rails 1/16th brass rod. Front axle outer with 1/8th brass tube (3/32 I.D).

Wheels and tyres just for display at present but will eventually be tyres currently under testing on 13" BWA Ali wheels.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Hi all.

Have made good progress over last two days with my Cooper Climax T60.

Chassis finished (I decided to make some changes), suspension added plus motor and guide fitted,

With suspension have followed past lead with Cooper T53 and Lotus 18/21 but this time added steering arms and I think it is the anti-rolll bar at rear.

Will add some more photos soon. Probably never get to the standard of Biematt's work but hopefully improving.

With our fortnightly Group race meeting due Sunday new car might every get a run soon.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Hi Munter.

Yes earlier cars looked like they would benefit from lower centre of gravity as all cars do.

Why do you not enter your old car again next year in Tasman Cup. Went pretty well last time and I am sure you could improve.

Looking like there may be a couple more NZ entries. We cannot let our Aussy cousins have it all their own way.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Hi all.

Have Cooper Climax T60 ready for short run tomorrow to make sure it all works. No stiff guide this time. Have done most work I need to on body so ready for undercoat and final fairing. Put a light coating of resin with plenty of micro balloons added to cover up few blemishes. Casting generally was very good. Have sanded down inserts to fit wheels and adjusted driver body to better fit car.

Quite impressed with Tassie car as not only included body but wheel inserts, full length driver with steering wheel, mirrors and wind screen. Note with T79 also includes carb stacks.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Hi Camber and Miveson.

Suspension takes time but mainly getting measurements right and then bending to suit. Soldering not so bad but easier if you can leave a wire extension so you can hold in place then trim off afterwards. Otherwise it is pliers. Trouble is the hands are not as steady as they used to be but you manage.

Hardest part to assemble is springs They are easy to make as long as you get length right. Getting into place particularly for front ones however can be quite tricky. A bit of blue smoke around at times.

One of the things I do is to try and bend up as much in one piece as I can. At this stage I am using the same gauge rod for everything except springs. With next car I might try different sizes where appropriate. Top part of anti-roll bar and steering arms probably should have been thinner.

Yes front/back/wheels are different sizes. According to Cooper bible by Doug Nye this is how car ran (p258 - This new T60 or V8 Mark II car ran on 13" front wheels to improve penetration and unsprung weight---- the rears were 15"). The exploded diagram of car on pages 260-261 was a great help in making suspension,

Thanks for comments.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

First photos of T60 in action at Poolside Raceway, Ahu Ahu Road, Oakura, New Plymouth, New Zealand.

IMG_6191_zpsb156a30d.jpg

IMG_6192_zps25308799.jpg

Car ran OK but cannot say I was very happy with speed. Need to check what gearing should be. Otherwise looks good and ready for painting.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Hi all.

Have now changed gearing to 9:23 with 24T as back-up. Think latter however may rub on body which is very slender. Hope to give run at weekend.

Have now finished painting body except for strips/numbers. Front tyres mounted and sanded. Inner sidewalls of rear tyres sanded as PG 21083 VRAA tyres seemed a little wide. This may have been caused by mounting on BWA 93x15x275 wheels rather than 200's.

Decided to use driver/steering wheel combination. Drilled out wheel to simulate spokes. Driver, wheel and inserts painted.

Still have to install body mount system but getting close to final assembly.

One concern however is I have been unable to get confirmation of receipt of entry payment. Can anybody help. Closing date I think is 1/9/2013. Just received.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Edited by charlesx

Looking good Chas, I'm in the process of doing the same car with the hope of entering next year. I've tentatively painted it in the blue Rob Walker colours. The suspension detail is proving a bit of a hurdle at present. When do the entries have to be in? and how much? and to whom payable?

Edited by aquakiwi

Hi Aquakiwi. My Lotus 18/21 is in Rob Walker colours I think. Dark blue with white stripe near nose.

When you say next year I presume you mean Tasman Cup. This year was -

All entries need to be paid by the 8th February 2013 to give reserve entries a chance to get their cars mailed in on time.

Cars to be in Australia by Friday the 29th March. Entry fee was $25AU.

They will call for expressions of interest on Auslot anyway.

VRAA which I am currently preparing for is later in year - expressions of interest probably May/June 2014 (you need to get allocated number), entry payment by 1/9 and car to Indiana by 1/10. Entry fee this year was $25US for people outside USA.

Take you time with suspension. You have plenty of time. Remember it needs to be narrow enough to clear wheels when width sent to max. 50.8mm.

Perhaps we should meet in Auckland at Mike Doo's or Drew' track sometime. DRW21 also has car in preparation.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Edited by charlesx

Looking good Aquakiwi. I made the white band on mine too wide. Driver looks good. I have not installed my windscreen yet either. Look forward to photo when you complete suspension. What tyres are you using? I have got 13" wheels and tyres on the front of mine. Do not know aht Rob Walker cars had.

Regards

Chas Le Breton