neil

Making A Slippery Surface

purposely making the racing track slippery for a bit of drifting,,,, has or does anyone do this ??.......

I remember as a kid i had a Scaley set,,, and used to spray "God knows" on the track to make the cars slide,,,, only part of this I do remember well is how the cars would just sit & spin,, barely moving,, just revving its guts out...... Who knew what damage-if any- i was probably doing to the cars or track,,, was too young to notice or care..

Reason is I'd like to build another Speedway track (when i'm almost finished the current one) & I'm hoping for it to emulate the Clay Speedway feel.... ....

Has anyone already done this with some success..............

What paint surface was &/or what liquids were used with out ruining either car's/track /braid.

Hi Neil,

Maybe you could look at tyres making the cars slide instead of the surface. A tyre that everyone knows is grip less , might be cheaper and easier than reprinting the surface.

It won't be like this when it's different

Hi Neil,

Maybe you could look at tyres making the cars slide instead of the surface. A tyre that everyone knows is grip less , might be cheaper and easier than reprinting the surface.

not repainting surface,,,,, thinking ahead for next track build..... always liked speedway theme,,,, back when Ingleburn Slotcars was open (90's) used to have a little eight lane D shape track there a....... Group of younger kids used to have sprint meets their every Sat. .... (me being a young adult playin/racing among them must of looked creepy,, now I think about it) ,,,, But damn good fun ....

Edited by neil

Neil,

I experimented some time ago with track surfaces. I had a hill climb section made out of laminated ply, nice and shiny. SCX or ninco classic tyres would allow graceful controllable drifts. MJK tyres however, stuck like glue in the rally proxy held on the track.

My current track is just painted timber, MJK stick well, but Carrera, Scaley, SCX original tyres spin and slide. The only way MJK tyers will allow a slide is with a very dirty surface. So I suggest just put the original hopeless rubber tyres back on the car.

Holty

Rob who used to race with our current group many years ago used flour or something like that from memory. Devious Dave or Oldslot could probably comment as they are about the only guys who are on here who were racing with him then.

Agree with Vince, rubber tyres picking up dust settled on the track works a treat on my semi gloss surface.

Have cars sliding well after not cleaning the track/tyres for a few days

You need to be careful there, WD40 may be slippery, but it will destroy MJK's...

Most urathane based tyres do not like oils / solvents of any sort...

typical enough... I simply used water on my ferodore track (cleaning all the dust from sanding/painting) & I was getting great controllable wheel spins under power,,, though current track doesn't have open corners to really practice drifting speedway style......... gonna have to make myself a 1/8 mile track