2013 Canam N.Z.P.R. Round 6 “Thunder Road” Napier

drw21

Hi Mac.

Hope you have as much fun as we did in Taranaki. Some great cars and others with potential with a bit more work.

All the best for the running of the proxy. Cars went to Craig yesterday as per instructions via Fastway Couriers so he will no doubt bring out to you.

I cleaned the pick-ups at least three times and gave all contrate/spur gears a light grease once. Did not redo before posting. All cars appeared to be running well motor and gear wise and nothing else broken except for minor bits reported.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Edited by charlesx

Craig Smith tells me he has the cars and he is arranging qualifying this week with the race soon after.

I got the impression the first HB round will be at Oakland Park Raceway rather than Thunder Road.

Edited by munter

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

Last I thought we said on Thursday was that we would run the round on Macs track this coming Thursday, but it Mac isn't around, or if no-one had objections, I wouldn't mind having it here first and getting it safely out of the way, because it's getting close to us going overseas and things usually turn yellow and liquid in the last 10 days.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Yep - we are qualifying straight after work this Wednesday with racing this Thursday night as part of our club roster.

ThunderRoadtrackshot_zps80d70a43.jpg

Thunder Road is a 95' gloss enamel, high grip track. Track will be run clean at 12v. TrackMate timing.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the cars run - and to see why my Lola is performing like a dog after showing so much promise in testing!

Mac

Podiums are for short people.

Well qualifying was done a few hours ago. Since then I have been at our local wine bar drowning my sorrows so apologies in advance for errors or rash statements.

As always, it was a mixed bag. Of all the cars only 2 or 3 really suited my track. Smithy will do his reporting bit in due course. Times were similar to last year apart from Stubbo who was quick. Here are the top qualifiers.

qual_zps11bafe6f.jpg

Top qual was a sweet car. The big 917 whale and the Naki Alfa were faster than Usain Bolt after a steroid binge but were over motored and too much for my limited driving skills. I am sure that now, after 5 glasses of Class A Chardonnay, I would have their measure but, unfortunately, we will never know.

Though I hate saying this, my car of the night was Chas le Breton's wee Macca. It loved my track. Chas, your response to this accolade is limited to a single sentence. Seriously.

My car sucked like a cheap hooker. I had high hopes for my Lola but, as we say here in the Bay, Gloat Goeth Before a Big fall, As others (hopefully) will attest, that blue piece of shite was lapping in 6.3's before I shipped her off. I have no idea what happened to her. She's a dog now. Depite covert repairs while Smith wasn't looking, I still couldn't fix her. Oh well. Nevermind.

Racing tomorrow should be interesting. The only really sweet cars I drove today belonged to Stubbo's and, gulp, Charlesx. All the others had issues. None more so than mine.

Thanks for the chance to run your cars guys. Thanks to Smithy for running the cutter,

Mac

Smithy has the spreadsheet and was in charge of uploading it - or getting Dave to do it. I hope it's up soon.

Times were similar to the better cars in recent years - though Stubbo was Q1 with a hot 6.5. Pretty sure that's the fastest Can Am proxy time on my track to date. Quite a few cars broke the 7.0 sec barrier. Charles' wee car did a 6.8 I think - bloody quick for a B class car.

Here is the field - in no order - just to remind you what your cars look like:

field_zps8c954426.jpg

I left work early to look at my car which could barely get around the track without deslotting. It took me ages to figure it out but in the end I worked out it had a bent axle so one wheel would oscillate under power. Goodness knows how that happened - but them's the breaks. I replaced it and now the car is fine again. I am well out of this series so I hope no one minds me doing the repair Dave please give me whatever penalty that fix entails.

Good luck one and all tonight. We have a good turnout so lots of marshalls and SlotsNZ is going to run the Spreadhseet so the results should be up fast.