Old Scalextric 13Uo Motors - There Stock Rpm

BMR

Hi all , I've been searching the web to try and find out what the old scaley motors maximum revs may have been ( 1970s ) The motors were used in all the scaley cars back then , call them 13uo , Johnson 111 whatever ya like I just need to find out how hard they revved in stock form . to see if the motor will qualify in a 16k motor class

Picture of the motor here , tried to contact these guys on this site bit no answer yet

http://www.scalextric-car.co.uk/Catalogue/Motor_Types/Johnson_Motor/Johnson_Motor.htm

Cheers for any info

Steve

HI BMR, it just so happens I have an original Mabuchi FT 13UO still in its box.. Dont know if these were used in Scalextric but were common in Monogram 1/32 scale Fi cars and the midget racer from the 60's. The one I have lists 32,000 rpm and starting Torque of 50g-cm (whatever that means). These had the same size armature as the old 16D's but in a much smaller case with very small magnets. All the one's I've ever seen have a can drive for the pinion.

So... Lotsa revs.. would probably throw your old scalextric on the floor.. :-)

Edited by axman

Looking further its the johnson 111 motor that seems to be the motor I need the specs for , see the link on the first post - when I had a look easrlier tonight around the various websites there are people calling the johnson111 a 13uo and visa versa ?

13uo motors do seem to crop up a lot as high rpm motors but mostly the sites are talking about modifying them to do that . Imnot really into the old stuff , never been too fussed , plus never really cared for modifying motors anyway , dont paticularly go for the idea myself as it usually leeds to people leaving the racing venue / club to those few that can ( and do ) modify motors to win . history shows from there that it usually ends up with a club down to 3 members and no marshals - then no club ?

Anyway 32000 rpm is way above what the little motor I have in my ancient scaley mini - if sound is anything to go on its lucky to be half that 32k - but its hard to tell over all the gear noise and axle rattle :P

A bit off topic, but may be of interest to some people. I actually had a Japanese formula one kit car in the 60's (don't ask how old I am), that had a 13UO.

Interesting, in the early 80's I used 13UO cans to try the first "rare earth" plastic magnets in 1/24th wing car racing at the time as you only needed magnets a fraction of the size of a ceramic magnet, so a lot of early developers picked the smallest and lightest can available.

I use my guitar tuner to test revs (have a conversion program) , but only up to 3 - 4v. An open wing car motor revs many times as much as say a NSR Evo 25k motor at 3v, but also pulls over 10 times the amperage at that voltage and has a massive amount of torque in comparison. Using only revs is not a great way to test motor performance on the track.

I would advise to not run free revving motors at too high a voltage however, it can get them severely out of balance etc. They rev a lot lower on the track under load.

When running in high performance motors on a power supply I generally start at about 1 volt and gradually increase over 45 minutes to a max of 3v.

In that class you are talking about Steve, why not try a suck it and see approach? You wont know 'till you try and then see how they compare.

I'm wondering if those Johnson 111 motors may rev a bit harder but don't have the brakes like modern motors and when they run hot the braking really starts to wilt.

Chris.

Late Model

Had John at FPR ( Fulham Park Raceway ) drop a couple of minis on his Tamiya dyno - crude guess running with a white mark on the wheels with a strobe light the wheels came up at 7000-7200 so with 3:1 gearing the motors were 21000 or so as a ball park , no way to test for torque but it aint much , they motivate the early minis ok with no ballast weight but 21k rpm is beyond what the up coming race class is limited at - so it seems the question may be answered .

Next question - ideas have been put forward to limit the motors via resistors - Im not electrical wiz so any ideas on that front are appreciated

Dont understand "the test". On the manufacturers packet the 13UO is 32000 rpm... Thats free revving... Which is a lot different than measuring the reduced revs that would happen by loading the motor with rotational mass and vibration caused by wheels, tyres, axle and 3:1 gear friction. Or is this a general test how you check cars on club night?

• 1 month later...

Hi all , left this thread for a bit and forgot to reply . re the johnson - a test on the tamiya kph gadget which isnt exactly up to NASA standards showed the johnson di do about 30,000rpm , on the track the thing had basically no torque which would back up what Axeman said earlier in the thread ( 50gcm )

Early Johnson was all revs but no go , even in an early scalextric mini which isnt exactly a heavy car it performed dismally on my track getting left behind by cars with more modern motors that are rated at 12 - 14 k / guessing about 100gcm .

The old gold scalextric johnson didnt wind up any speed at the end of the 6 metre straight to impress either - tested a few of them so it wasnt just one dud . Hey they are what they are , its safe to say at the recent race at my place where we let the johnson run with all the other cars ( that were rpm limited to 16k ) The johnson was a reliable last place in every race .

A normal run of the mill Scalextric 18k mabuchi on 10v will dust the stock johnson on 14v , yes the Johnson can be hotted up to go , but thats a whole different kettle of fish isnt it .

My feeling when we were buying a lot of old Scaley F1 cars to set up our class, was exactly the same - I measured them in the low 20Ks rpm, but very low torque, and we definitely found they weren't as fast around a track. We had cars with those and modern mabuchi, so Mac and Mike settled on mabuchi for our class, giving us all a pile of spare Johnsons.

They could be geared way down, to make them feel more like a modern mabuchi motor, but they aren't as fast.

For economical racing of retro cars, I think they'd be just fine against say BWA motors of both shapes, old NC-1 etc. -certainly not an advantage.

I notice the brit clubs who are getting into racing the retro F1s are mostly using them, and a club in Wellington is setting up F1s using them as well.

I've just offered mine to the Wellie guys who need to take Mabuchis OUT of some of theirs.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol: