Round 6 Isle Of Mann

slotcarmann

Morning guys

Most of Round 1, Stage 1 was completed on Friday afternoon, but for a handful of cars that had problems in the warm - up. They will have had some attention in the meantime and will be run first thing this afternoon on Stage 1. It wouldn't be fair to put a provisional listing up as yet, so I will just mention that the time for 12 laps (24 circuits of Scaley classic Pooil Vaaish, as there is a single crossover) varied from low 2mins 30's to just over 3 minutes - not many in that latter category, thankfully - and most were in the 2mins 40's to 2mins 50's bracket. Just a clue though....no Manx cars in the top 3...! :o

Today we will be running Stage 2 - the infamous Manx Mountain stage - so I hope to have something to post later tonight on Stage 1.

Freddie's car couldn't run due to it's smoking motor, so if it is OK, pending sourcing another motor, I will run it with a loan motor from my own car for the time being.

One car- No. 73 - had an intermittent power issue, which I'm not sure was a motor or wiring problem and which wasn't evident during warm-up and which I couldn't identify. Some laps it was OK, some it was struggling, so I am investigating. B) And car No. 59 had a loose rear end - afterwards the rear screw was found to be in the body, but just not to be in contact with the chassis...! :lol:

Cheers

Dave

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Dave , your lucky you cleared up the No. 59's loose rear end ( Poor old Snurfen :blink:) , did you have to go to your local chemist as they would have something to fix that up :o:P:D

Craig

"You can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.

Hi guys

Stage 1 was completed OK yesterday and Stage 2 will be done by tea-time today - we still have 15 cars to run this afternoon.

Stage 1 results plus some short videos will be posted this evening: Stage 2 results tomorrow.

Keep taking the baited breath mints.... :lol:

Cheers

Dave

All that bloody foie gras and moules in France for the last two weeks mate. Nothing a good mouthful of Immodium won't calm down.

Bit disappointed it's taken a bit of damage - was right as rain when it left my place a few weeks back.

wosautos12.gif

Wow. If this keeps up Fuzzy's going to have a very clean room.

Congratulations to Matt, Fuzzy and Graham for the stage podium. I think Mr Gunn will be rather happy with his 5th for the stage too.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Congrats to the top three and all the others as well, well done dave pass on my thanks to all for the effort put it , it is appreciated my friend, yes Ember the 111 car is happy with a 5th , one thing i was worried to find out is Snurfen has a loose rear end . :)

well done to the top guys - and well done to the throttle men, some VERY consistent lapping going on there. 1/100th separating 6th and 7th!

p.s. just got my new Armitage Shanks throttle delivered. Should help take care of that rear end issue.

potty_zps61a9aa66.jpg

wosautos12.gif

Hi folks

Just to add some "meat on the bones" as it were, Snurfen's loose rear end was simply down to having a loose screw. :rolleyes: I could possibly comment further. There was no damage to the car itself and a quick tinker with a screwdriver sorted that problem - but as it wasn't spotted until picking the car up after its Stage 1 run. I suspect because of the rough and rattly nature of the stage, it may have shaken the screw loose. It didn't seem to have affected it, as car #59 was 8th on that Stage.

The other problems we had and solved on/after Stage 1 were

1. changing the motor on Miveson's car #10 - on taking the old motor out it was sitting in a smudge of oil, so someone had been a tad over-enthusiastic with the lubrication: I soldered in the metal tabs and hot-glued it in place;

2. replacing the guide on Alexis car #1, which broke in the warm-up;

3. cleaning the motor on Freddie's car #38 - now working fine, so no loan motor required (suspected excess oil problem again, causing the smoking) ;

4. cleaning the motor on Therodster's car #73 - it had sporadic power on Stage 1, but is now running fine.

5. Twiddling with the braids on a few cars with poor power.

Thanks to Mike Buss/Mike Dove for their assistance with the repairs.

Worryingly, the loose rear end issue seems it may be on the way to epidemic proportions, as we had another case of it on Stage 2 - but again treated successfully by Dr. Slotcarmann: not Car #59 this time!

Stage 1 was run in numerical order from 1 to 111, whilst Stage 2 was run in reverse order - ie from 111 to 1. The final Stage 3 (Glencrutchery Road/TT Grandstand) will be run in order from the last placed car after Stages 1 and 2, up to the overall leader at that point. We hope to run Stage 3 late this week, or at the weekend, dependent on when we can gather enough bodies (minimum 3 per stage).

Stage 1 was driven by Steve Morrow, former multiple British Slot Car Racing Association champion, with Barbs and me marshalling. Not too many offs in general. Stage 2 was driven by yours truly (yes, I did feel the pressure, being my first drive in WRP...!), with the Mikes (Buss and Dove) marshalling on Sunday, and Barbs and Mike Buss marshalling for the remainder on Monday. Given I had 6 offs and some cars had zero on Stage 2, you can tell I wasn't biased...!

I will now try and post some photos and videos so you can see what the drivers and cars had to deal with on Stage 1.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by slotcarmann

Say what??!! Stage 2?! A time like that with 3 offs? Well I'll be. Extremely surprised there. Though I feel sure there must be some mistake.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction