Show Us Your Modern Gt

Springbok Racer

nice photo quality.... it allows a nice close look at the burs on the edges of the wheel spokes..... has this been caused by removing more material than orig.designed ( for performance gains)........ or is this the orig. manufacturers finnish......... haha....... great pic.& interesting to read of slotcar parts having a fatiguing problem....

ea1f8f63-e0de-4daa-a076-ee28059a9768_zps6ad41b02.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Jason,

Well done with that 6.000 lap last night, pity you left the door open on white though. Must say, I get the distinct feeling that we'll be in the 5's before long, after all it's been done with these on EE.au, but alas not in racing as yet.

Cheers,

Jan

'The older I get the faster I was.'

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Jason,

Well done with that 6.000 lap last night, pity you left the door open on white though. Must say, I get the distinct feeling that we'll be in the 5's before long, after all it's been done with these on EE.au, but alas not in racing as yet.

Cheers,

Jan

Well that did not take long .... Jason is now running 5.9's on a regular basis and holds all the Modern GT records at EE.au with a Plafit chassis and a Scale Auto body. Obviously no need to go completely exotic to get the results. Good preparation and superb driver skill is all that is required. In fact since we dropped the 'commercially available' proviso for this class at EE.au, we have not had anyone even coming close to the 6.000 lap times with any of their 'custom' creations acquired from Europe. Our top drivers are all using Plafit, Schoeler, NDW and Do-Slot (RedBack) chassis and not spending the $400 plus on resin body and brass sleds.

Keep it up boys, well done.

Cheers,

Jan

It will be interesting to hear how the rules were enforced (or not).....

???????????????????

Being a season opener and 'NON CHAMPIONSHIP RACE' I'm sure scrutineering will be in line with the spirit of the event to ensure the racers that do attend will have an enjoyable days racing. The last thing we want to do is turn people away at the start of the year.

Hopefully it will be a very social day with a lot of laughs and great racing. I'll endeavor to post some photo's and results.

Being a season opener and 'NON CHAMPIONSHIP RACE' I'm sure scrutineering will be in line with the spirit of the event to ensure the racers that do attend will have an enjoyable days racing. The last thing we want to do is turn people away at the start of the year.

Those are the best race days, pity I did not know about it.....

• 1 month later...

Been playing around with a few chassis designs and here are two that are nearly ready to hit the track.

I have no idea how they will perform as yet, they are of similar design to what is being used in europe only I have done all the work locally, and they are a little bit lighter with the weight in the correct place.

Both Main plate and motor box have been drawn in 3D and files sent to a CNC cutter etc to get the final product. I am working on making my own Carbon Fibre Parts now. All other hardware (axle blocks, bearing holders etc are from Plafit which makes them easy to repair etc.

1st is a chassis that is short and narrow with indipendant front to fit the 997 GT3

771.jpg

Next is a Chassis that is the same width but a little longer to fit the McLaren.

773.jpg

I have a few other prototypes on the go also, one is a chassis for the McLaren with an intergrated motorbox.

It will be interesting to see how these perform. They will all be availible for purchase to the public once testing has been done to confirm they will perform, this will make them eligable for this class.

sorry about picture quality..........................

Cheers

Paul NZ

Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

My latest creation is a combination between Fola (Slotfabrik), Sebastian (DoSlot) and myself. Fola was commissioned to do me a McLaren (provided it was done in a Gulf livery) of his choice. I also wanted the lightest body he could turn out, but with all the bling that he could throw at it (super light interior and lights). In the end he totally surprised me - even after I had added some reinforcement around the inside front section and glued in the body mounts - I still had to add 16grams for the body to be at legal minimum. Feast your eyes on Fola's magic:

imagejpg1.jpg

.....side on...

imagejpg2.jpg

...can't show it here, but it even has exhaust flames on braking...

imagejpg3.jpg

And finally Sebastian worked with me to design our latest 'RedFox v1.0' chassis. The idea was to end up with a rolling chassis at 115grams. Together with the body of 45gram I wanted a total outcome of 160gram. The Fox motor is not great at hauling heavy cars around EE.au (or any track where acceleration and braking is part of every lap), therefor the 160gram total weight was not negotiable. Sebastian spent many hours machining as you can see and therefor anyone wanting one of these will unfortunately have to pay for that. Have a look at this master piece:

imagejpg4.jpg

Of course beauty must also be functional and the only way to prove that is to race it ..... and win. Which I am delighted to say, it has done in it's very first outing. In practice I managed to drop the best ever MGT lap around EE.au from 5.922 to 5.836. This allowed me to take it a little easy and be nice to my beautiful McLaren, but still beat the competition during the race.

Some of you may ask why spend so much - well I agree, no point. This class has become all about deep pockets and will be the domain of a few when it comes down to it. Personally I think, like always, at the pointy end it comes down to money and skill - which can be made a lot more acceptable if we cap it somehow. After all, Jason and my Scale Auto Porsche bodies shod with Plafit 1700 and RedBack chassis are only just off the McLaren's pace......and cost at least $200 less...and for that alone they are more enjoyable to drive.

Cheers,

Jan

Edited by Springbok Racer

Jason and my Scale Auto Porsche bodies shod with Plafit 1700 and RedBack chassis are only just off the McLaren's pace......and cost at least $200 less...

But they don't look like sex on a stick, do they? That McLaren, on the other hand....

13 times world wanking champion. Not proud of it.

Jason and my Scale Auto Porsche bodies shod with Plafit 1700 and RedBack chassis are only just off the McLaren's pace......and cost at least $200 less...

But they don't look like sex on a stick, do they? That McLaren, on the other hand....

...you have a way with words....LOL

So are you taking all the credit for the chassis design Jan ??????

No I'm not. But any similarities to your MZ design is purely coincidental, as Sebastian has no idea what your chassis look like. All the bits on top are standard DoSlot as well. He only cut the base plate as per my wish to distribute the weight where it is now. The chassis was made and lying in my workshop waiting for the body since early April.

Cheers,

Jan

I think my chassis post didn't come across as intended Jan. I believe you can thank Fola if it works well. He's the originator of that style and I would of picked it for one of his.

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

I think my chassis post didn't come across as intended Jan. I believe you can thank Fola if it works well. He's the originator of that style and I would of picked it for one of his.

Garry,

I did misunderstand your post - no worries, no offence taken or intended. I still want one of your MZ chassis - please. To be fair, the weight distribution is probably rooted in our own racing experiences of late.

Yes Fola was one of the first and started his little tuning bits back with the F-430's in IMCA days. But Nick and Sebastian back in 2009 when they started the OEPS idea were the ones to push the design envelope. The original flex box was Akira's, then Nick perfected it and of course the motor boxes as we run today, was Sebastian's idea. But no doubt, Fola is a thinker - he is onto a new innovation right now, and I can't wait to see how it works out - but I've been sworn to secrecy.

See you tomorrow night.

Jan

Hi all,

My latest creation is a combination between Fola (Slotfabrik), Sebastian (DoSlot) and myself. Fola was commissioned to do me a McLaren (provided it was done in a Gulf livery) of his choice. I also wanted the lightest body he could turn out, but with all the bling that he could throw at it (super light interior and lights). In the end he totally surprised me - even after I had added some reinforcement around the inside front section and glued in the body mounts - I still had to add 16grams for the body to be at legal minimum. Feast your eyes on Fola's magic:

Jan,

That McLaren looks the bees knees! Question - what do you use to re-enforce a GFK body?

Cheers Jason

Jan,

Question - what do you use to re-enforce a GFK body?

Cheers Jason

Jason,

As you know these very thin laid up bodies are rather flimsy and crack very easily when they suffer a hit - especially around the quarter front areas. To help give some support whilst still allowing some flex I stick 2mm thick foam rubber on the inside. You can buy it from various places (here on the Gold Coast I get it from Clark Rubber) - it has an adhesive on one side, so easy to work with.

The nice thing with this solution is also that it hold the body pieces together if it should break and therefor make a repair much easier as you don't have to figure out where all the pieces go when glueing it back together.

Cheers,

Jan

• 2 weeks later...