Show Us Your Modern Gt

Springbok Racer

Hi guys,

As most of you know by now, we - in Qld - have been racing this class in various formats since late 2005. It all started with PETG Porsche 996's and steadily progressed to the full blown GT class it is now. This class caters for everyones likes - body wise the choice includes plastic modelling kits right up to the very fansy and expensive handmade carbon fibre master pieces form Fola and Nick de Wachter. Chassis choice is similar, anything from your basic Plafit or Scholer to the very best of the best commercial runs offered by Garry Johnson, Fola, NDW and the like.

I have not raced this class since 2007, so I decided to make an effort and get involved again. My choice of body has been the Scale Auto range (which you may realise has become somewhat of a passion with me). I like the bodies as they are very well detailed and has better crash resistance than normal plasic modelling kits, whilst they are still affordable - starting from $29 for a white kit. From this range I decided to choose the Porsche GTR and the Audi R8 LMS - It has been a longstanding habit of mine to build two cars and then deveolpe one against the other for maximum performance extraction.

The class rules (very losely and in summary) provides for a minimum total car weight of 160 grams, here is my Porsche...

20130625_135416.jpg

...and my Audi (please ignore the wheel inserts on it's roof - still had to put them into my wheels of choice).

20130625_135358.jpg

You may be wondering how I got these cars so close to the minimum weight limit - I'll get to that, but let me just say; there is no extra lead on either of the cars, only the chassis and body as built...... The minimum body weight of the class is 45 grams (both cars are the same, so I'm only showing you one).

20130625_140741.jpg

Now when I show you both the cars underside, look closely and you may spot a few differences, that account for the weight control. Here is the Porsche....

20130625_135435.jpg

....and here is the Audi.

20130625_135502.jpg

The body weight secret lies in the body mounts... DoSlot has developed this chassis system with aluminum, brass and carbon fibre body mounting plates....so you simply use the plate that will give the correct end result.

20130625_135702.jpg

DoSlot is a German company and their chief designer and engineer, Sebastian has specifically developed this chassis for the Scale Auto bodies. One can get all the correct body mountings and simply take the Scale Auto body off your Scale Auto car, then screw it on to this chassis and you have a Modern GT. Two classes, one body - too easy. (Those of you that know the Scale Auto rules, will realise that these two bodies of mine are not legal for those rules due to a few bits on them).

Here is my Audi and it's DoSlot chassis, side-by-side. For the Aussie specifications, Sebastian has titled the chassis 'RedBack' and it certainly is a lethal weapon.

20130625_135841.jpg

....a closer look at this work-of-art.

20130625_135902.jpg

Now I just have to get them to a track and race - hopefully all the local hotshots will give me a break and allow me some glory with my two new cars.

Cheers,

Jan

Edited by Springbok Racer

'The older I get the faster I was.'

These are beautifully built chassis. The torx screws are a nice touch. I'm now on my 3rd chassis build [2 for me]. I'm Currently developing the chassis with different spring settings,different roll outs and tire widths. I'm sure I will get into the 5's at Narangba soon.

just got back from its first run in race trim.some tuning to go yet but it did a best tonight of 5.95 at Andrews.still experimenting with gears & rear tyre widths,so there is more to come yet.very stable to drive though.

cheers

warrick

• 2 months later...

Interesting... The Modern GT's with Fox motor's and any chassis are not much faster at Jans than a tuned Scaleauto with 1.8 clearance. Is it worth trying the Scaleauto Chassis in Modern GT? With the rules allowing reduced tyre diameter, lighter body and chassis components and lowering to 1mm it might be fast. Its certainly got the weight down low. At Jans with 1.8mm clearance I know Noel has broken the 6 sec lap barrier and I got into the 6.2's (in a Scaleauto Enduro). So... anyone fast with a modified one at Nerangbah?

Edited by axman

Interesting...At Jans with 1.8mm clearance I know Noel has broken the 6 sec lap barrier and I got into the 6.2's (in a Scaleauto Enduro).

Hi Kim,

Just a correction; the quickest that Noel has gone around on my track is a 6.125 and the fastest a Scale Auto in race trim has ever gone around my track is a 6.049. No Scale Auto of any kind have ever broken the 6 second barrier.

However. it will be good to see what your suggested specs using a Scale Auto chassis will achieve.

Cheers,

Jan

Oops.. Thanks for the correction guys... got my tracks mixed up.

So whats the fastest a Modern GT has gone at your track Jan...

And how fast are they now at Nerangbah? NZ Paul, as the "official" Modern GT Rep you should have this info...

Edited by axman

Lovely looking chassis. I am a big fan of the scaleauto cars. I can't remember a class of car i have enjoyed as much as these but perhaps it is because they are so much simpler than Plafits and all my previous experience is with plastic. I could be wrong but it looks like a much better chassis but a less powerful motor giving a similar time? One of the good things about the scaleautos is that they punch and stop just like a real car even if they are a bit more..... hmmm 'agricultural' compared to more exotic chassis. They give a more life like experience compared to underpowered heavy cars. Would going to a more torquey motor be better or simply too much speed?

4x national champion 6x national runner up. I come second most often but my girlfriends happy.

Scale auto with a fox only get @ 6.0 sec at Narangba, even at 1mm ride height, a couple of people run them but they are a little off the pace.

They are ok in std trim with the bigger motor getting @ 5.8 but is not really the same class of car.

The fastest Modern Gt cars are doing @ 5.6 - 5.7 sec but there are a bunch in the 5.8 - 6.0 bracket.

Bring your cars and have a go, remember this is a developement year and these cars will be in a class of their own next year, a true open chassis class, its great to see loads of different bodies, it is a class that if you get a body to suit a chassis you will go fast, and there are many different ones on the track already from Plafit SLPJ to SLP2 and Scholers to Doslots, they are all very similar in pace.

This is an elite class and should remain this way. emphisis on detail in the bodies is a must.

Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

Jason,

I'm with you on that. Also the 83mm maximum spur makes a lot of sense. Some of the bodies, especially when setup on 78mm wide main chassis plates, look like pyramids. And even worse when the maximum spur of 86mm is being run. I mean that is wider than most LMP's.

Anyway, let's have a photo of your 1700 shod Porsche - inside and out.

Cheers,

Jan

Totally agree Jason... As Paul NZ stated the emphasis is on detail.. So out of scale bodies have no part in this class of racing.

I totally support the 83mm rule as there is such a great variety of bodies properly scaled for this class and the 45g body weight keeps things pretty even between GFK and plastic body's like the Scaleauto's.

As a racer that likes to experiment this class ticks all the boxes because we can be creative, try different chassis and because its not tied to any one manufacture, any track or club can run their favourite local chassis.

This class has the potential to be the major open scale class in Australia.. So lets keep it scale and make it accessible to all.

( I might point out this statement coming from an old wing car racer that has seen the death of Slotcars from excessive expense so don't allow the rules to favour the biggest spender )

Edited by axman

Don't want to show all my secrets Jan. Its a RTR car with standard body mounting plates and a scale auto Porsche with the body posts cut off

Jason,

I thought showing your car inside and out, was the whole reason for this thread?

Jan

Yes, I'm intrigued as to how you get a 1700 to go as quick as an SLPJ or an SLP2 or a Doslot for that matter, most people are struggling with getting below 6.0 yet with no practice you are doing 5.7? what is the body weight of your car? what is the total chassis weight? it needs to be 45 body and 160 total, you will need a lot of lead on a 1700 to achieve this, some pictures of your car would be nice. Hope to have a look on Saturday at the QPC.

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

Yes, I'm intrigued as to how you get a 1700 to go as quick as an SLPJ or an SLP2 or a Doslot for that matter, most people are struggling with getting below 6.0 yet with no practice you are doing 5.7? what is the body weight of your car? what is the total chassis weight? it needs to be 45 body and 160 total, you will need a lot of lead on a 1700 to achieve this, some pictures of your car would be nice. Hope to have a look on Saturday at the QPC.

Werner has seen the car and and it doesnt have loads or lead or any exotic bits. If a mini z with a fox can do 5.7 why cant a gt?

Jason, that's good, I'm not doubting you just trying to understand how. As I said most people are happy to get under 6.0 Big difference between a Mini Z and a GT, one weight in the body and also size of the car, take a mini z Audi R8 and a scaleauto R8 and you will see what I am talking about. My Porsche will run very similar times to Werners also but we are both running SLPJ chassis and they are much better than the 1700 so I'd be interested to see you set up. Kym, don't worry, its not a comp round for the GT's, remember its a development year so I am keen to understand what works and what does not.

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

Dont show your secrets BEFORE the race!

cant show you all the secets but here are the basics....

top of 1700 chassis all standard stuff (sorry cant show front end setup)

topchassis_zps3ad7090e.jpg

Kim,

I agree, but that attitude is not the intended purpose of this thread. Please don't show us anything if you don't want to share your car inside and out...top and bottom.

Cheers,

Jan

During my recent clean up in the Garage I came across this body that was a half finished project & thought it might be a goer for our GT class.

It was our first ever Monday night buy it class at X-Treme Trax,when I was trying to convert the locals to 1/24th & was the only ready to run avaliable at the time.Some of the Auto arts were OK but most I spent Tuesday night gluing & repairing for their next run.

The main problem they had was the guide coming adrift & pinions slipping & traction or lack off.

On this Bugatti Veyron I lowered the body & modified the guards so they woulden't rub but when I put it on my Plafit SLPJ chassis the wheels looked lost in the guards so instead of fitting larger wheels I decided to make some flares,not massivly wide but just enough to fill up the guards.

She's a little bit porky :blink: at 72 gms for the body & a total of 192 gms putting it with the Scaleauto's but down here we can run a Cheetah so it still gets up to a good speed & the SLPJ is just the perfect chassis for any body in the GT class.

DSC04527_zps0bdc9c6f.jpg

Cheers Jimmy :D

To finsh first,first you gotta finish

Nice build Jimmy.. At least you're running Cheetah's in GT.. on a decent sized track. Things are a bit watered down up here on the smaller tracks. Narangbah run pointer's in Mini Z's ( Pointers should ONLY be in 1/32) and Foxes in the GT class with chassis that can handle so much more. Fortunately at Jans track we run Foxes in Open Mini Z so the drivers get some buzz and driver skills. However, here's the conundrum.. With Mini Z and GT 's being similar weight cars, same motor, virtually same chassis = not different enough lap times between Open Mini Z and GT. The GT class could be the premier class in Australia for Nationals ( like GTJ is in Japan) because we have freedom to try all manufacturers and running a Cheetah like you guys race would certainly sharpen the driving skills.... Must off been a bit boring on your track in GTJ with Foxes...

Edited by axman

Hi Kim,

Please mate, can we just try to stay with the intended theme of this thread? It will be good if we can all just show our cars - top and bottom, inside and out - without getting into the 'big' picture. Of course you are very welcome to start another thread for that discussion and I'm sure the guys will respond, but I don't want this tread closed because of off topic discussion.

Cheers,

Jan