129 replies to this topic

#81 Springbok Racer

....another 'has-been'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:11 PM

Hi all,

My latest creation is a combination between Fola (Slotfabrik), Sebastian (DoSlot) and myself. Fola was commissioned to do me a McLaren (provided it was done in a Gulf livery) of his choice. I also wanted the lightest body he could turn out, but with all the bling that he could throw at it (super light interior and lights). In the end he totally surprised me - even after I had added some reinforcement around the inside front section and glued in the body mounts - I still had to add 16grams for the body to be at legal minimum. Feast your eyes on Fola's magic:

Posted Image

.....side on...

Posted Image

...can't show it here, but it even has exhaust flames on braking...

Posted Image

And finally Sebastian worked with me to design our latest 'RedFox v1.0' chassis. The idea was to end up with a rolling chassis at 115grams. Together with the body of 45gram I wanted a total outcome of 160gram. The Fox motor is not great at hauling heavy cars around EE.au (or any track where acceleration and braking is part of every lap), therefor the 160gram total weight was not negotiable. Sebastian spent many hours machining as you can see and therefor anyone wanting one of these will unfortunately have to pay for that. Have a look at this master piece:

Posted Image

Of course beauty must also be functional and the only way to prove that is to race it ..... and win. Which I am delighted to say, it has done in it's very first outing. In practice I managed to drop the best ever MGT lap around EE.au from 5.922 to 5.836. This allowed me to take it a little easy and be nice to my beautiful McLaren, but still beat the competition during the race.

Some of you may ask why spend so much - well I agree, no point. This class has become all about deep pockets and will be the domain of a few when it comes down to it. Personally I think, like always, at the pointy end it comes down to money and skill - which can be made a lot more acceptable if we cap it somehow. After all, Jason and my Scale Auto Porsche bodies shod with Plafit 1700 and RedBack chassis are only just off the McLaren's pace......and cost at least $200 less...and for that alone they are more enjoyable to drive.

Cheers,

Jan

Edited by Springbok Racer, 30 June 2014 - 07:30 PM.

'The older I get the faster I was.'

#82 Tim Tyler

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:09 PM

View PostSpringbok Racer, on 14 June 2014 - 01:11 PM, said:

Jason and my Scale Auto Porsche bodies shod with Plafit 1700 and RedBack chassis are only just off the McLaren's pace......and cost at least $200 less...

But they don't look like sex on a stick, do they? That McLaren, on the other hand....
13 times world wanking champion. Not proud of it.

#83 Springbok Racer

....another 'has-been'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:21 PM

View PostTim Tyler, on 14 June 2014 - 06:09 PM, said:

Jason and my Scale Auto Porsche bodies shod with Plafit 1700 and RedBack chassis are only just off the McLaren's pace......and cost at least $200 less...

But they don't look like sex on a stick, do they? That McLaren, on the other hand....

...you have a way with words....LOL

#84 Garry J

Expat Cockroach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:00 PM

So are you taking all the credit for the chassis design Jan ??????
Cheers,

Garry J

Posted Image

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

#85 Springbok Racer

....another 'has-been'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:08 PM

View PostGarry J, on 14 June 2014 - 09:00 PM, said:

So are you taking all the credit for the chassis design Jan ??????

No I'm not. But any similarities to your MZ design is purely coincidental, as Sebastian has no idea what your chassis look like. All the bits on top are standard DoSlot as well. He only cut the base plate as per my wish to distribute the weight where it is now. The chassis was made and lying in my workshop waiting for the body since early April.

Cheers,

Jan

Edited by Springbok Racer, 14 June 2014 - 10:30 PM.

#86 BaVa

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:25 AM

The Body is a 10, The Chassis is a 10. The best MGT around. Nice work Jan.

#87 jasonk1970

closed account

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:53 AM

Yes it is quick, last week was the first time I have lost a mgt race at jans this year. Looks like its time to build a real car my $180 car isn't going to cut it anymore but as Jan said the current rule set is going to make for very expensive cars if you want to win. Especially if we go to a 30,000k motor as well. Personally I would rather see mgt run scaleauto or plastic kit bodies. If we have to have GfK bodies in a class run them in LMP.

Edited by jasonk1970, 15 June 2014 - 11:56 AM.

#88 BaVa

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:17 PM

I also like the idea of restricting the class to hard plastic or scale auto bodies. The cost of winning now is getting out of hand in this class.

#89 Springbok Racer

....another 'has-been'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:50 PM

View Postjasonk1970, on 15 June 2014 - 11:53 AM, said:

If we have to have GfK bodies in a class run them in LMP.

Nooooooooooo, please noooooooooo!!!!!!!!

#90 jasonk1970

closed account

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:25 PM

LOL....

#91 BaVa

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:04 PM

LMP and Scale Auto aint broke so don't fix it.

#92 Garry J

Expat Cockroach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:03 PM

I think my chassis post didn't come across as intended Jan. I believe you can thank Fola if it works well. He's the originator of that style and I would of picked it for one of his.
Cheers,

Garry J

Posted Image

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

#93 Springbok Racer

....another 'has-been'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:51 PM

View PostGarry J, on 15 June 2014 - 07:03 PM, said:

I think my chassis post didn't come across as intended Jan. I believe you can thank Fola if it works well. He's the originator of that style and I would of picked it for one of his.

Garry,

I did misunderstand your post - no worries, no offence taken or intended. I still want one of your MZ chassis - please. To be fair, the weight distribution is probably rooted in our own racing experiences of late.

Yes Fola was one of the first and started his little tuning bits back with the F-430's in IMCA days. But Nick and Sebastian back in 2009 when they started the OEPS idea were the ones to push the design envelope. The original flex box was Akira's, then Nick perfected it and of course the motor boxes as we run today, was Sebastian's idea. But no doubt, Fola is a thinker - he is onto a new innovation right now, and I can't wait to see how it works out - but I've been sworn to secrecy.

See you tomorrow night.

Jan

Edited by Springbok Racer, 15 June 2014 - 07:54 PM.

#94 Jerimiah83

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:38 PM

Hi all,

My latest creation is a combination between Fola (Slotfabrik), Sebastian (DoSlot) and myself. Fola was commissioned to do me a McLaren (provided it was done in a Gulf livery) of his choice. I also wanted the lightest body he could turn out, but with all the bling that he could throw at it (super light interior and lights). In the end he totally surprised me - even after I had added some reinforcement around the inside front section and glued in the body mounts - I still had to add 16grams for the body to be at legal minimum. Feast your eyes on Fola's magic:

Jan,

That McLaren looks the bees knees! Question - what do you use to re-enforce a GFK body?

Cheers Jason

#95 Springbok Racer

....another 'has-been'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:36 PM

View PostJerimiah83, on 16 June 2014 - 07:38 PM, said:

Jan,

Question - what do you use to re-enforce a GFK body?

Cheers Jason

Jason,

As you know these very thin laid up bodies are rather flimsy and crack very easily when they suffer a hit - especially around the quarter front areas. To help give some support whilst still allowing some flex I stick 2mm thick foam rubber on the inside. You can buy it from various places (here on the Gold Coast I get it from Clark Rubber) - it has an adhesive on one side, so easy to work with.

The nice thing with this solution is also that it hold the body pieces together if it should break and therefor make a repair much easier as you don't have to figure out where all the pieces go when glueing it back together.

Cheers,

Jan

#96 jasonk1970

closed account

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:14 AM

thought I would show the latest variation to my modern GT, which is quicker than the last variation despite coming in at 180gm. Set two new lap records at Ecurie Elite and the laps per minute record for a race length. I have purposely tried to keep this car as cheap as I can and still be competitive and keep up with Jan and his rockets.

Chassis is a standard plafit 1700sr bought as a ready to run car ($120) only addition is a carbon fibre front axle and JP Spur Gear and bearings ($40).
http://acehobbies.co...products_id=861

Latest variation was to replace standard base plate with a Speed Slot one($35). Body is a scale auto plastic body with posts cut off and lexan interior and windscreen ($50 as a white kit) I bought this body second hand. Total cost is $245 would be $275 if using a new pre-painted scale Auto Body.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by jasonk1970, 30 June 2014 - 02:11 PM.

#97 BaVa

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:44 PM

Thanks for sharing Jason. Well done.

#98 Springbok Racer

....another 'has-been'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:47 PM

Jason,

You sneaky bugger....and there I was thinking you were driving old faithful really well. I guess running my old Porsche was never going to cut it against you and Grant any longer.

Now.....do I start racing my McLaren regularly.....or just go play with the old Porsche and save my very expensive beauty.....mmmmhhh???

Cheers,

Jan

Edited by Springbok Racer, 30 June 2014 - 07:34 PM.

#99 jasonk1970

closed account

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:05 PM

Have wanted to change the chassis plate for a while now but haven't been able to get a Plafit SLPJ base plate. I drove grants Ferrari a few weeks backs and it was faster than mine, so I knew it was only a matter of time.

Maybe you should mount your Porsche body on the fola chassis and save the pretty McLaren....lol

I think your Porsche is fast enough anyway especially if the suggested changes happen.

#100 axman

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:00 PM

Very good Jason... the most fun you can have is building a car out of bits and being as fast as the big budget boys.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users