Jump to content


Show Us Your Modern Gt

.top and bottom..inside out

129 replies to this topic

#61 jasonk1970

    closed account

  • Validating
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:14 AM

View Postpaulthetexan, on 09 October 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

Hi Guys
Finally had the time to build up a dedicated GT car after conceding my GTJ Lexus is as fast as it's going to get . Luckily I had enough spare parts kicking around to put something together without robbing the piggy bank . This one looks to be a sharper tool altogether .
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The chassis is quite simple , 1700 with indipendant fronts . I found it quite easy to come in under the body weight limit and have to say it is almost impossible to drive this car out of the slot . I'm glad I took the time to build this one up because it has proved to be quite different to drive than other cars I have showing a good turn of speed and lively handling .

Cheers
Paul
looks great paul cant wait to see how it goes on track hopefully its not too fast....lol

#62 Paul NZ

    Paul NZ

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Lakes Qld

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:23 AM

Car looks great Paul, and typically fast! are those sakatsu wheels under those Bridgestone's?...............nice ;)
Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

#63 paulthetexan

    Kart Driver

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brisbane

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:10 AM

Hi Paul
They are ScaleAuto . I painted them up then machined the front to expose the metal . As pretty as they I don't think they are going to cut it for racing being too soft and flexable . Although the car is quick it has a chatter thru fast sweepers that I think is due to the wheels flexing . I'll test later in the week to know for sure . Very pretty though .

#64 Garry J

    Expat Cockroach

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brisbane

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:08 PM

View Postpaulthetexan, on 09 October 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:


it is almost impossible to drive this car out of the slot


Doesn't mean much Paul, you seem to have great difficulty getting anything to come out of the slot.

If you like I could give you some lessons, show you how it's done.
Cheers,

Garry J


Posted Image

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

#65 paulthetexan

    Kart Driver

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brisbane

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:51 PM

Nothing like a bit of advice from a Legend

#66 jasonk1970

    closed account

  • Validating
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:50 PM

View PostGarry J, on 09 October 2013 - 01:08 PM, said:

View Postpaulthetexan, on 09 October 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

it is almost impossible to drive this car out of the slot


Doesn't mean much Paul, you seem to have great difficulty getting anything to come out of the slot.

If you like I could give you some lessons, show you how it's done.
sounds like paul is having more trouble with being allowed to put his car in the slot....lol

#67 paulthetexan

    Kart Driver

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brisbane

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:41 AM

Well , that didn't last long . A couple of test sessions and then a total of 3 heats . I didn't think they would be the best for racing but I expected them to last a little longer than 3 heats over 2 weeks .
Posted Image

They were a little wobbly when I bought them new and had to bend them back into shape before I could glue and true tyres . Andrew seemed to think bending them back into shape may have weekened them ?????? Maybe they are just too fine for heavy style slotcars but being designed for ScaleAuto cars you would think they would be up for it . I don't now how they would go on a 190 - 200 gram ScaleAuto . With some quality wheels it should drive better next time around .

Anyway , at least I'm pretty sure where the chatter was coming from ..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by paulthetexan, 27 October 2013 - 10:50 AM.


#68 Camber

    Support Australian Made

  • Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Wollongong, NSW

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:31 PM

Makes wheel inserts seem a bit more practical. At least you can reuse them if a wheel bends or breaks.

Edited by Camber, 27 October 2013 - 12:32 PM.

Hoo Roo

#69 paulthetexan

    Kart Driver

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brisbane

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:59 PM

Yes , tried something a little more exotic for the ART car . It hurts when I think of the amount of time that went into them .

#70 neil

    V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:14 PM

nice photo quality.... it allows a nice close look at the burs on the edges of the wheel spokes..... has this been caused by removing more material than orig.designed ( for performance gains)........ or is this the orig. manufacturers finnish......... haha....... great pic.& interesting to read of slotcar parts having a fatiguing problem....
Posted Image

#71 paulthetexan

    Kart Driver

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brisbane

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:56 PM

Apart from painting and then sanding the face that's how they come

#72 jasonk1970

    closed account

  • Validating
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:01 AM

View Postpaulthetexan, on 27 October 2013 - 10:41 AM, said:

Well , that didn't last long . A couple of test sessions and then a total of 3 heats . I didn't think they would be the best for racing but I expected them to last a little longer than 3 heats over 2 weeks .
Posted Image

They were a little wobbly when I bought them new and had to bend them back into shape before I could glue and true tyres . Andrew seemed to think bending them back into shape may have weekened them ?????? Maybe they are just too fine for heavy style slotcars but being designed for ScaleAuto cars you would think they would be up for it . I don't now how they would go on a 190 - 200 gram ScaleAuto . With some quality wheels it should drive better next time around .

Anyway , at least I'm pretty sure where the chatter was coming from ..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
so it was your turn to drive the wheels off a car, wish I was there to repay the support I received at apc....lol

#73 Springbok Racer

    ....another 'has-been'

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Gold Coast, Australia

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:35 PM

Jason,

Well done with that 6.000 lap last night, pity you left the door open on white though. Must say, I get the distinct feeling that we'll be in the 5's before long, after all it's been done with these on EE.au, but alas not in racing as yet.

Cheers,

Jan
'The older I get the faster I was.'

#74 Chadly

    noob/seasoned veteran :P

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Adelaide

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:56 AM

looks like a good class.....maybe one to think about for national competition- tempt a few guys into racing on a larger level :)
i hope all of your racing is enjoyed
slot on!
:)

www.slotcaraustralia.com

#75 Springbok Racer

    ....another 'has-been'

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Gold Coast, Australia

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:57 PM

View PostSpringbok Racer, on 14 November 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

Jason,

Well done with that 6.000 lap last night, pity you left the door open on white though. Must say, I get the distinct feeling that we'll be in the 5's before long, after all it's been done with these on EE.au, but alas not in racing as yet.

Cheers,

Jan

Well that did not take long .... Jason is now running 5.9's on a regular basis and holds all the Modern GT records at EE.au with a Plafit chassis and a Scale Auto body. Obviously no need to go completely exotic to get the results. Good preparation and superb driver skill is all that is required. In fact since we dropped the 'commercially available' proviso for this class at EE.au, we have not had anyone even coming close to the 6.000 lap times with any of their 'custom' creations acquired from Europe. Our top drivers are all using Plafit, Schoeler, NDW and Do-Slot (RedBack) chassis and not spending the $400 plus on resin body and brass sleds.

Keep it up boys, well done.

Cheers,

Jan
'The older I get the faster I was.'

#76 jasonk1970

    closed account

  • Validating
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:17 PM

View PostSpringbok Racer, on 07 March 2014 - 04:57 PM, said:

View PostSpringbok Racer, on 14 November 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

Jason,

Well done with that 6.000 lap last night, pity you left the door open on white though. Must say, I get the distinct feeling that we'll be in the 5's before long, after all it's been done with these on EE.au, but alas not in racing as yet.

Cheers,

Jan

Well that did not take long .... Jason is now running 5.9's on a regular basis and holds all the Modern GT records at EE.au with a Plafit chassis and a Scale Auto body. Obviously no need to go completely exotic to get the results. Good preparation and superb driver skill is all that is required. In fact since we dropped the 'commercially available' proviso for this class at EE.au, we have not had anyone even coming close to the 6.000 lap times with any of their 'custom' creations acquired from Europe. Our top drivers are all using Plafit, Schoeler, NDW and Do-Slot (RedBack) chassis and not spending the $400 plus on resin body and brass sleds.

Keep it up boys, well done.

Cheers,

Jan
hoping my budget car has a win tomorrow at the narangba modern GT event as well


#77 Springbok Racer

    ....another 'has-been'

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Gold Coast, Australia

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:21 PM

View Postjasonk1970, on 07 March 2014 - 06:17 PM, said:

hoping my budget car has a win tomorrow at the narangba modern GT event as well

It will be interesting to hear how the rules were enforced (or not).....

Good luck anyway, but you'll do well I'm sure.

Cheers,

Jan
'The older I get the faster I was.'

#78 paulthetexan

    Kart Driver

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brisbane

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:33 PM



It will be interesting to hear how the rules were enforced (or not).....

???????????????????

Being a season opener and 'NON CHAMPIONSHIP RACE' I'm sure scrutineering will be in line with the spirit of the event to ensure the racers that do attend will have an enjoyable days racing. The last thing we want to do is turn people away at the start of the year.

Hopefully it will be a very social day with a lot of laughs and great racing. I'll endeavor to post some photo's and results.



#79 Springbok Racer

    ....another 'has-been'

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Gold Coast, Australia

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:55 AM

View Postpaulthetexan, on 07 March 2014 - 09:33 PM, said:

Being a season opener and 'NON CHAMPIONSHIP RACE' I'm sure scrutineering will be in line with the spirit of the event to ensure the racers that do attend will have an enjoyable days racing. The last thing we want to do is turn people away at the start of the year.

Those are the best race days, pity I did not know about it.....
'The older I get the faster I was.'

#80 Paul NZ

    Paul NZ

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Lakes Qld

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:43 PM

Been playing around with a few chassis designs and here are two that are nearly ready to hit the track.
I have no idea how they will perform as yet, they are of similar design to what is being used in europe only I have done all the work locally, and they are a little bit lighter with the weight in the correct place.

Both Main plate and motor box have been drawn in 3D and files sent to a CNC cutter etc to get the final product. I am working on making my own Carbon Fibre Parts now. All other hardware (axle blocks, bearing holders etc are from Plafit which makes them easy to repair etc.

1st is a chassis that is short and narrow with indipendant front to fit the 997 GT3
Posted Image

Next is a Chassis that is the same width but a little longer to fit the McLaren.
Posted Image

I have a few other prototypes on the go also, one is a chassis for the McLaren with an intergrated motorbox.

It will be interesting to see how these perform. They will all be availible for purchase to the public once testing has been done to confirm they will perform, this will make them eligable for this class.

sorry about picture quality..........................

Cheers
Paul NZ
Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users