.top and bottom..inside out

129 replies to this topic

#41 Paul NZ

Paul NZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:33 PM

PTT's car goes very well, and it just shows that you don't need a GFK body to compete in this class, its so great to see so many different bodies hitting the tracks, as my signiture has said for years "Scale with Detail"

:D
Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

#42 axman

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:12 AM

AS you say Paul.. SCALE with detail. That why there is no place in GT's for out of scale pancake GFK bodies with out of scale chassis/spur widths. I think the weights are just right for this class so we can play with a whole range of different plastic bodies and a variety of chassis to suit.
Its great that "left of field guys" like you and Jimmy can bring such interesting cars to the track that are competitive rather than everyone eventually having to race the same body to win.

#43 jasonk1970

closed account

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:54 AM

i agree with you kim, i think a max chassis width of 70mm (or something near there) and max spur width of 84mm front and back. This would make the redily avail scale auto bodies perfect for this class along with various model kits and would mean you would see variety on the grid which is what we are all looking for. I would like to see the emphasis on chassis setup, tuning and driving skill be the key factors in this class. Last night at Jans was a great example of that various chassis all running close to each other, from my standard plafit to redroo and doslot chassis all running within a 10th of each other but ultimatly was driver that made the difference. I also think a 13mm tyre width could be a good option for this class would put a little more emphasis on driver and less on chassis.

#44 Paul NZ

Paul NZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:05 PM

Why is this tread being hijacked? we want to see the cars not discuss the rules! look at the title of the thread! I will say it again for those that did not get it the third time, this is a development year...................................back to the cars!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

#45 jasonk1970

closed account

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:17 PM

I dont see many people putting pictures up Paul, you have several why havent you shown us your various versions of Modern GT? Thread hasnt been hijacked i think its relevant to discuss where people want this class to go as it is a development year. There are people who are hesitant to build up cars bacause the current suggested rules are not relevant to what some people want from this class. Any way enough said on that for now here is what i didnt show last time and copped flak for it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I built this to show that you dont need something exotic to be competative if the rules are setup correctly, standard plafit chassis as it came out of the box, scale auto body pre painted with lexan interior and plafit body mounts, 16mm wide tyres. Set new lap record time for yellow lane last night at Jans track, outright lap record is only a few thousands more and about 1 tenth quicker than a Mini Z Group C ( because of spur width )

80.5 front spur
84.9 rear spur
all body and chassis weights correct and on minimum weight

#46 Garry J

Expat Cockroach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:25 PM

So what was the lap time Jason?

And we're all glad that you've finally taken your hand off it :o

Edited by Garry J, 03 October 2013 - 02:26 PM.

Cheers,

Garry J

Posted Image

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

#47 Noel B

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

😃😃😃😃😃 that's hilarious Garry..

#48 paulthetexan

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:41 PM

Your so good Jason...........Lets get back to building and Racing

Edited by paulthetexan, 03 October 2013 - 02:50 PM.

#49 warrick

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:51 PM

i didnt see any 5.7 times at QPC Saturday? so what you suggest is 84mm rear spur max and 13mm rear tyres,yet you are running 84.9mm and 16mm tyres,i'm confused?

#50 jasonk1970

closed account

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:52 PM

View PostGarry J, on 03 October 2013 - 02:25 PM, said:

So what was the lap time Jason?

And we're all glad that you've finally taken your hand off it :o
you have to put your hand on it to make it go fast gary, everybody knows that

time was a 6.06 done in racing, jan has done a 5.9 in practice and i think a 6.04 in racing on blue lane.

#51 jasonk1970

closed account

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:03 PM

View Postwarrick, on 03 October 2013 - 02:51 PM, said:

i didnt see any 5.7 times at QPC Saturday? so what you suggest is 84mm rear spur max and 13mm rear tyres,yet you are running 84.9mm and 16mm tyres,i'm confused?
was playing with gearing and tyre size last saturday car went slower. with 13mm tyres make the car a tenth slower and stretched the spur widths since saturday and car is definatly faster the wider it goes.I am trying to make a point that if the cars are allowed to be too wide they will be too easy to drive just like several other classes we run. Maybe I am on my own in wanting a class that is a bit of a challenge to drive.

Anyway lets see more cars please

#52 Paul NZ

Paul NZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:28 PM

View Postjasonk1970, on 03 October 2013 - 02:17 PM, said:

I dont see many people putting pictures up Paul, you have several why havent you shown us your various versions of Modern GT?
All my cars are on the original thread that got closed down due to it being hijacked.....................I'll post them up again tonight when I get home.

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

#53 Paul NZ

Paul NZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:38 PM

My McLaren MP4-12C: Its a solid 6 sec car but will churn out lap after lap, has a 70mm (narrow) SLP2 Chassis

Posted Image

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

#54 Paul NZ

Paul NZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:40 PM

Porsche 997: Scale auto body on an SLPJ, very fast and tough to drive.

Posted Image

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

#55 Paul NZ

Paul NZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:41 PM

Porsche 997: Scale auto body and chassis

Posted Image

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

#56 Paul NZ

Paul NZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

JGT Honda: on 1700G as per rules, I think some from this years APC may have seen it as Simon took it with him as an option.

Posted Image

All these cars are very similar in performance, I also have a widened GFK on a too wide for the class chassis that is no quicker than any of these, its also true to scale...........

Will post a pic when it is finished.

Edited by Paul NZ, 04 October 2013 - 12:35 PM.

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

#57 Camber

Support Australian Made

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:02 PM

That's pretty much an exact copy of my Cam-am winning setup at this years APC. I think you might have been having a bit of snoop in scruitineering this year.

Posted Image
Hoo Roo

#58 Paul NZ

Paul NZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:14 PM

View PostCamber, on 03 October 2013 - 04:02 PM, said:

That's pretty much an exact copy of my Cam-am winning setup at this years APC. I think you might have been having a bit of snoop in scruitineering this year.

Posted Image
If you have a look on ace hobbies, its on the main page as the latest parts availible......no secret here

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

#59 jasonk1970

closed account

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:15 PM

View PostPaul NZ, on 03 October 2013 - 03:40 PM, said:

Porsche 997: Scale auto body on an SLPJ, very fast and tough to drive.

Posted Image
they all look great paul and I think the fast cars in this class should be tough to drive, they are all examples of what this class is about. Especially the slpJ chassis which is the perfect style and width of chassis. Keep them this size but make chassis manufacturer open. I love the maclaren, I want to build up a gt40 or a lambo just need to find the right plastic kit

#60 paulthetexan

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:35 AM

Hi Guys
Finally had the time to build up a dedicated GT car after conceding my GTJ Lexus is as fast as it's going to get . Luckily I had enough spare parts kicking around to put something together without robbing the piggy bank . This one looks to be a sharper tool altogether .
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The chassis is quite simple , 1700 with indipendant fronts . I found it quite easy to come in under the body weight limit and have to say it is almost impossible to drive this car out of the slot . I'm glad I took the time to build this one up because it has proved to be quite different to drive than other cars I have showing a good turn of speed and lively handling .

Cheers
Paul

Edited by paulthetexan, 09 October 2013 - 09:46 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users