.top and bottom..inside out

129 replies to this topic

#21 axman

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:40 PM

Totally agree Jason... As Paul NZ stated the emphasis is on detail.. So out of scale bodies have no part in this class of racing.
I totally support the 83mm rule as there is such a great variety of bodies properly scaled for this class and the 45g body weight keeps things pretty even between GFK and plastic body's like the Scaleauto's.
As a racer that likes to experiment this class ticks all the boxes because we can be creative, try different chassis and because its not tied to any one manufacture, any track or club can run their favourite local chassis.
This class has the potential to be the major open scale class in Australia.. So lets keep it scale and make it accessible to all.
( I might point out this statement coming from an old wing car racer that has seen the death of Slotcars from excessive expense so don't allow the rules to favour the biggest spender )

Edited by axman, 24 September 2013 - 08:52 PM.

#22 jasonk1970

closed account

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:01 PM

View PostSpringbok Racer, on 24 September 2013 - 07:37 PM, said:

Jason,

I'm with you on that. Also the 83mm maximum spur makes a lot of sense. Some of the bodies, especially when setup on 78mm wide main chassis plates, look like pyramids. And even worse when the maximum spur of 86mm is being run. I mean that is wider than most LMP's.

Anyway, let's have a photo of your 1700 shod Porsche - inside and out.

Cheers,

Jan
Don't want to show all my secrets Jan. Its a RTR car same as this but with standard body mounting plates and a scale auto Porsche with the body posts cut off Posted Image

#23 Springbok Racer

....another 'has-been'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:58 AM

View Postjasonk1970, on 24 September 2013 - 09:01 PM, said:

Don't want to show all my secrets Jan. Its a RTR car with standard body mounting plates and a scale auto Porsche with the body posts cut off

Jason,

I thought showing your car inside and out, was the whole reason for this thread?

Jan
'The older I get the faster I was.'

#24 Paul NZ

Paul NZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:04 AM

Yes, I'm intrigued as to how you get a 1700 to go as quick as an SLPJ or an SLP2 or a Doslot for that matter, most people are struggling with getting below 6.0 yet with no practice you are doing 5.7? what is the body weight of your car? what is the total chassis weight? it needs to be 45 body and 160 total, you will need a lot of lead on a 1700 to achieve this, some pictures of your car would be nice. Hope to have a look on Saturday at the QPC.
Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

#25 axman

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:04 AM

Dont show your secrets BEFORE the race!

#26 jasonk1970

closed account

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:06 PM

View PostPaul NZ, on 26 September 2013 - 07:04 AM, said:

Yes, I'm intrigued as to how you get a 1700 to go as quick as an SLPJ or an SLP2 or a Doslot for that matter, most people are struggling with getting below 6.0 yet with no practice you are doing 5.7? what is the body weight of your car? what is the total chassis weight? it needs to be 45 body and 160 total, you will need a lot of lead on a 1700 to achieve this, some pictures of your car would be nice. Hope to have a look on Saturday at the QPC.

Werner has seen the car and and it doesnt have loads or lead or any exotic bits. If a mini z with a fox can do 5.7 why cant a gt?

#27 jasonk1970

closed account

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:25 PM

cant show you all the secets but here are the basics....

scale auto body trimmed with lexan interior with plafit mounting plates 45g
Posted Image

bottom of 1700 chassis 115g with wheel inserts
Posted Image

top of 1700 chassis all standard stuff (sorry cant show front end setup)
Posted Image

#28 Paul NZ

Paul NZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:52 PM

View Postjasonk1970, on 26 September 2013 - 12:06 PM, said:

Werner has seen the car and and it doesnt have loads or lead or any exotic bits. If a mini z with a fox can do 5.7 why cant a gt?
Jason, that's good, I'm not doubting you just trying to understand how. As I said most people are happy to get under 6.0 Big difference between a Mini Z and a GT, one weight in the body and also size of the car, take a mini z Audi R8 and a scaleauto R8 and you will see what I am talking about. My Porsche will run very similar times to Werners also but we are both running SLPJ chassis and they are much better than the 1700 so I'd be interested to see you set up. Kym, don't worry, its not a comp round for the GT's, remember its a development year so I am keen to understand what works and what does not.
Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

#29 jasonk1970

closed account

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:48 PM

View PostPaul NZ, on 26 September 2013 - 12:52 PM, said:

View Postjasonk1970, on 26 September 2013 - 12:06 PM, said:

Jason, that's good, I'm not doubting you just trying to understand how. As I said most people are happy to get under 6.0 Big difference between a Mini Z and a GT, one weight in the body and also size of the car, take a mini z Audi R8 and a scaleauto R8 and you will see what I am talking about. My Porsche will run very similar times to Werners also but we are both running SLPJ chassis and they are much better than the 1700 so I'd be interested to see you set up. Kym, don't worry, its not a comp round for the GT's, remember its a development year so I am keen to understand what works and what does not.
i guess it comes down to what works for your driving style and what makes the fastest most consistant race lap time. Out right one off lap speed downt mean anything in a race distance. I think the 1700 system is just as good possibly better than the slpj in some respects, they just do it differently.

#30 Springbok Racer

....another 'has-been'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:09 AM

View Postaxman, on 26 September 2013 - 08:04 AM, said:

Dont show your secrets BEFORE the race!

View Postjasonk1970, on 26 September 2013 - 12:25 PM, said:

cant show you all the secets but here are the basics....
top of 1700 chassis all standard stuff (sorry cant show front end setup)
Posted Image

Kim,

I agree, but that attitude is not the intended purpose of this thread. Please don't show us anything if you don't want to share your car inside and out...top and bottom.

Cheers,

Jan

#31 Tim Tyler

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:45 AM

And here was me thinking that he's just a completely s#!t photographer!
13 times world wanking champion. Not proud of it.

#32 jasonk1970

closed account

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:17 AM

dont be like that jan, only a scrutineer ever gets to know all of a race cars secrets.....lol

#33 jimmyslots 1950

Slotcar trajic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:42 AM

During my recent clean up in the Garage I came across this body that was a half finished project & thought it might be a goer for our GT class.
It was our first ever Monday night buy it class at X-Treme Trax,when I was trying to convert the locals to 1/24th & was the only ready to run avaliable at the time.Some of the Auto arts were OK but most I spent Tuesday night gluing & repairing for their next run.
The main problem they had was the guide coming adrift & pinions slipping & traction or lack off.
On this Bugatti Veyron I lowered the body & modified the guards so they woulden't rub but when I put it on my Plafit SLPJ chassis the wheels looked lost in the guards so instead of fitting larger wheels I decided to make some flares,not massivly wide but just enough to fill up the guards.
She's a little bit porky :blink: at 72 gms for the body & a total of 192 gms putting it with the Scaleauto's but down here we can run a Cheetah so it still gets up to a good speed & the SLPJ is just the perfect chassis for any body in the GT class.
Posted Image
Cheers Jimmy :D
To finsh first,first you gotta finish

#34 axman

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:37 PM

Nice build Jimmy.. At least you're running Cheetah's in GT.. on a decent sized track. Things are a bit watered down up here on the smaller tracks. Narangbah run pointer's in Mini Z's ( Pointers should ONLY be in 1/32) and Foxes in the GT class with chassis that can handle so much more. Fortunately at Jans track we run Foxes in Open Mini Z so the drivers get some buzz and driver skills. However, here's the conundrum.. With Mini Z and GT 's being similar weight cars, same motor, virtually same chassis = not different enough lap times between Open Mini Z and GT. The GT class could be the premier class in Australia for Nationals ( like GTJ is in Japan) because we have freedom to try all manufacturers and running a Cheetah like you guys race would certainly sharpen the driving skills.... Must off been a bit boring on your track in GTJ with Foxes...

Edited by axman, 01 October 2013 - 05:10 AM.

#35 Springbok Racer

....another 'has-been'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:43 AM

Hi Kim,

Please mate, can we just try to stay with the intended theme of this thread? It will be good if we can all just show our cars - top and bottom, inside and out - without getting into the 'big' picture. Of course you are very welcome to start another thread for that discussion and I'm sure the guys will respond, but I don't want this tread closed because of off topic discussion.

Cheers,

Jan

#36 jimmyslots 1950

Slotcar trajic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:00 AM

Hi Kim & a belated happy Birthday young fella,must have thrown the mould away after 1950 :D :D
The Cheetahs are a bit wilder at X-Treme with a 10 mtr long straight to wind out on, but the lap times are only fractionally quicker than the Foxes.
At the APC we ran 13.8 v on a power supply where as in the past I think the GTJ's & F1's ran Cheetahs but power was dropped to 12v turning them back into a Foxes.
About 3 months before the APC our truck battery dumped & we had to go to an adjustable power supply which varies about 1/2 a volt during racing,the Cheetahs loved the battery :wub:
All the Fox powered cars at the APC were fun with the grip the best it's ever been.
Top Qualifying Lap times for Fox powered cars were around 5.6 - 5.7 with the Lexan bodied Historic Can-Am's lapping in the 5.2's & the F1's 5.4's & the LMP's at Dapto need a Cheetah & the locals have already ditched their Foxes for Cheetahs
Your suggestion of having the GT's as a National class I assume is for the MCN which has a lot of classes already,at next years MCN at Dapto we are running our 1/24th Nascars as the host clubs class & maybe the GT,s could fit into that area at Thunderbird the following year & if it gets enough support make it a regular class.
Cheers Jimmy :D
To finsh first,first you gotta finish

#37 axman

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:28 AM

Sorry Jan for getting of topic. Thanks for the info Jimmy. Yep.. 1950 was a good year! I'll do a fresh thread soon on my thoughts for the Scale Model Nationals .. Suffice to say I think 1/32 and 1/24 should be two different events after Dapto 2014.

Edited by axman, 01 October 2013 - 05:31 PM.

#38 paulthetexan

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:31 PM

Hi

Nice one Jimmi , something you don't see every day . So far with the current level of tuning in this class my trusty GTJ Lexus is still performing well . Gets around Narrangba in 5.8s and Cam pushed it around Dapto to drop to 5.6.....something . Not the fastest but easy to drive . Would be interesting to lighten the body to the 45gm limit to see how it performs .
Posted Image

I don't know how hard the other guys are trying at the moment ,but so far it seems like a very social class of racing with a lot of emphasis placed on modeling and variety of bodies styles etc. The guys are usually very proud of their new creations and drive them accordingly . I'm sure as time goes on lap times will improve .

Edited by paulthetexan, 01 October 2013 - 05:10 PM.

#39 Chris1810

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:49 PM

Hello Mr PTT. Is that a master work model or did you put it together yourself? How much does it weigh?

#40 paulthetexan

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:55 PM

Hey Chris
Master work model and about 170gms all up

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users