Yes, I'm intrigued as to how you get a 1700 to go as quick as an SLPJ or an SLP2 or a Doslot for that matter, most people are struggling with getting below 6.0 yet with no practice you are doing 5.7? what is the body weight of your car? what is the total chassis weight? it needs to be 45 body and 160 total, you will need a lot of lead on a 1700 to achieve this, some pictures of your car would be nice. Hope to have a look on Saturday at the QPC.

Werner has seen the car and and it doesnt have loads or lead or any exotic bits. If a mini z with a fox can do 5.7 why cant a gt?

cant show you all the secets but here are the basics....

scale auto body trimmed with lexan interior with plafit mounting plates 45g

porschebody_zps7664312a.jpg

bottom of 1700 chassis 115g with wheel inserts

underchassis_zps20bc7908.jpg

top of 1700 chassis all standard stuff (sorry cant show front end setup)

topchassis_zps3ad7090e.jpg

Yes, I'm intrigued as to how you get a 1700 to go as quick as an SLPJ or an SLP2 or a Doslot for that matter, most people are struggling with getting below 6.0 yet with no practice you are doing 5.7? what is the body weight of your car? what is the total chassis weight? it needs to be 45 body and 160 total, you will need a lot of lead on a 1700 to achieve this, some pictures of your car would be nice. Hope to have a look on Saturday at the QPC.

Werner has seen the car and and it doesnt have loads or lead or any exotic bits. If a mini z with a fox can do 5.7 why cant a gt?

Jason, that's good, I'm not doubting you just trying to understand how. As I said most people are happy to get under 6.0 Big difference between a Mini Z and a GT, one weight in the body and also size of the car, take a mini z Audi R8 and a scaleauto R8 and you will see what I am talking about. My Porsche will run very similar times to Werners also but we are both running SLPJ chassis and they are much better than the 1700 so I'd be interested to see you set up. Kym, don't worry, its not a comp round for the GT's, remember its a development year so I am keen to understand what works and what does not.

Jason, that's good, I'm not doubting you just trying to understand how. As I said most people are happy to get under 6.0 Big difference between a Mini Z and a GT, one weight in the body and also size of the car, take a mini z Audi R8 and a scaleauto R8 and you will see what I am talking about. My Porsche will run very similar times to Werners also but we are both running SLPJ chassis and they are much better than the 1700 so I'd be interested to see you set up. Kym, don't worry, its not a comp round for the GT's, remember its a development year so I am keen to understand what works and what does not.

i guess it comes down to what works for your driving style and what makes the fastest most consistant race lap time. Out right one off lap speed downt mean anything in a race distance. I think the 1700 system is just as good possibly better than the slpj in some respects, they just do it differently.

Dont show your secrets BEFORE the race!

cant show you all the secets but here are the basics....

top of 1700 chassis all standard stuff (sorry cant show front end setup)

topchassis_zps3ad7090e.jpg

Kim,

I agree, but that attitude is not the intended purpose of this thread. Please don't show us anything if you don't want to share your car inside and out...top and bottom.

Cheers,

Jan

During my recent clean up in the Garage I came across this body that was a half finished project & thought it might be a goer for our GT class.

It was our first ever Monday night buy it class at X-Treme Trax,when I was trying to convert the locals to 1/24th & was the only ready to run avaliable at the time.Some of the Auto arts were OK but most I spent Tuesday night gluing & repairing for their next run.

The main problem they had was the guide coming adrift & pinions slipping & traction or lack off.

On this Bugatti Veyron I lowered the body & modified the guards so they woulden't rub but when I put it on my Plafit SLPJ chassis the wheels looked lost in the guards so instead of fitting larger wheels I decided to make some flares,not massivly wide but just enough to fill up the guards.

She's a little bit porky :blink: at 72 gms for the body & a total of 192 gms putting it with the Scaleauto's but down here we can run a Cheetah so it still gets up to a good speed & the SLPJ is just the perfect chassis for any body in the GT class.

DSC04527_zps0bdc9c6f.jpg

Cheers Jimmy :D

Nice build Jimmy.. At least you're running Cheetah's in GT.. on a decent sized track. Things are a bit watered down up here on the smaller tracks. Narangbah run pointer's in Mini Z's ( Pointers should ONLY be in 1/32) and Foxes in the GT class with chassis that can handle so much more. Fortunately at Jans track we run Foxes in Open Mini Z so the drivers get some buzz and driver skills. However, here's the conundrum.. With Mini Z and GT 's being similar weight cars, same motor, virtually same chassis = not different enough lap times between Open Mini Z and GT. The GT class could be the premier class in Australia for Nationals ( like GTJ is in Japan) because we have freedom to try all manufacturers and running a Cheetah like you guys race would certainly sharpen the driving skills.... Must off been a bit boring on your track in GTJ with Foxes...

Edited by axman

Hi Kim,

Please mate, can we just try to stay with the intended theme of this thread? It will be good if we can all just show our cars - top and bottom, inside and out - without getting into the 'big' picture. Of course you are very welcome to start another thread for that discussion and I'm sure the guys will respond, but I don't want this tread closed because of off topic discussion.

Cheers,

Jan

Hi Kim & a belated happy Birthday young fella,must have thrown the mould away after 1950 :D :D

The Cheetahs are a bit wilder at X-Treme with a 10 mtr long straight to wind out on, but the lap times are only fractionally quicker than the Foxes.

At the APC we ran 13.8 v on a power supply where as in the past I think the GTJ's & F1's ran Cheetahs but power was dropped to 12v turning them back into a Foxes.

About 3 months before the APC our truck battery dumped & we had to go to an adjustable power supply which varies about 1/2 a volt during racing,the Cheetahs loved the battery :wub:

All the Fox powered cars at the APC were fun with the grip the best it's ever been.

Top Qualifying Lap times for Fox powered cars were around 5.6 - 5.7 with the Lexan bodied Historic Can-Am's lapping in the 5.2's & the F1's 5.4's & the LMP's at Dapto need a Cheetah & the locals have already ditched their Foxes for Cheetahs

Your suggestion of having the GT's as a National class I assume is for the MCN which has a lot of classes already,at next years MCN at Dapto we are running our 1/24th Nascars as the host clubs class & maybe the GT,s could fit into that area at Thunderbird the following year & if it gets enough support make it a regular class.

Cheers Jimmy :D

Sorry Jan for getting of topic. Thanks for the info Jimmy. Yep.. 1950 was a good year! I'll do a fresh thread soon on my thoughts for the Scale Model Nationals .. Suffice to say I think 1/32 and 1/24 should be two different events after Dapto 2014.

Edited by axman
  • Upvote 1

Hi

Nice one Jimmi , something you don't see every day . So far with the current level of tuning in this class my trusty GTJ Lexus is still performing well . Gets around Narrangba in 5.8s and Cam pushed it around Dapto to drop to 5.6.....something . Not the fastest but easy to drive . Would be interesting to lighten the body to the 45gm limit to see how it performs .

IMG_0003_zps19407ca5.jpg

I don't know how hard the other guys are trying at the moment ,but so far it seems like a very social class of racing with a lot of emphasis placed on modeling and variety of bodies styles etc. The guys are usually very proud of their new creations and drive them accordingly . I'm sure as time goes on lap times will improve .

Edited by paulthetexan

PTT's car goes very well, and it just shows that you don't need a GFK body to compete in this class, its so great to see so many different bodies hitting the tracks, as my signiture has said for years "Scale with Detail"

:D

AS you say Paul.. SCALE with detail. That why there is no place in GT's for out of scale pancake GFK bodies with out of scale chassis/spur widths. I think the weights are just right for this class so we can play with a whole range of different plastic bodies and a variety of chassis to suit.

Its great that "left of field guys" like you and Jimmy can bring such interesting cars to the track that are competitive rather than everyone eventually having to race the same body to win.

i agree with you kim, i think a max chassis width of 70mm (or something near there) and max spur width of 84mm front and back. This would make the redily avail scale auto bodies perfect for this class along with various model kits and would mean you would see variety on the grid which is what we are all looking for. I would like to see the emphasis on chassis setup, tuning and driving skill be the key factors in this class. Last night at Jans was a great example of that various chassis all running close to each other, from my standard plafit to redroo and doslot chassis all running within a 10th of each other but ultimatly was driver that made the difference. I also think a 13mm tyre width could be a good option for this class would put a little more emphasis on driver and less on chassis.

Why is this tread being hijacked? we want to see the cars not discuss the rules! look at the title of the thread! I will say it again for those that did not get it the third time, this is a development year...................................back to the cars!

I dont see many people putting pictures up Paul, you have several why havent you shown us your various versions of Modern GT? Thread hasnt been hijacked i think its relevant to discuss where people want this class to go as it is a development year. There are people who are hesitant to build up cars bacause the current suggested rules are not relevant to what some people want from this class. Any way enough said on that for now here is what i didnt show last time and copped flak for it.

completemdgt_zpse47c934b.jpg

chassismodgt_zpsae3a4747.jpg

I built this to show that you dont need something exotic to be competative if the rules are setup correctly, standard plafit chassis as it came out of the box, scale auto body pre painted with lexan interior and plafit body mounts, 16mm wide tyres. Set new lap record time for yellow lane last night at Jans track, outright lap record is only a few thousands more and about 1 tenth quicker than a Mini Z Group C ( because of spur width )

80.5 front spur

84.9 rear spur

all body and chassis weights correct and on minimum weight

So what was the lap time Jason?

And we're all glad that you've finally taken your hand off it :o

Edited by Garry J

i didnt see any 5.7 times at QPC Saturday? so what you suggest is 84mm rear spur max and 13mm rear tyres,yet you are running 84.9mm and 16mm tyres,i'm confused?

So what was the lap time Jason?

And we're all glad that you've finally taken your hand off it :o

you have to put your hand on it to make it go fast gary, everybody knows that

time was a 6.06 done in racing, jan has done a 5.9 in practice and i think a 6.04 in racing on blue lane.