jasonk1970

Aussie V8 Class ?

I agree with what Kim said, what are you aiming for....

If it is a class mainly for existing 1/24 racers then multiple chassis that fit within the rules would be fine.

If you are looking at this class as a way to attract new racers be they current 1/32 racers, RC people or motor enthusiasts then simpler is the way to go. Cost to set up a basic car would be - chassis - ~$55 - $75 / sponge tyres/wheels/axles/oilites etc ~$40 / motor and gears and guide $20 / body cost ???

So the basic chassis would be around $115 - $135 if you bought the separate parts. I am guessing this could be a bit less if you bought a rolling chassis (eg the Plafit Can Am chassis is $105 + $11 for motor and pinion)

- body cost then is the unknown but if you add in say $50 and so on from there then you are talking $165-$185 now this may be an inexpensive car to people who are used to 1/24 racing - but if you are coming from a 1/32 background then that sought of money would buy 3 V8s or 2 very tricked out ones.

My point here isn't to say that 1/24 is expensive but more that if the aim is to set up an Aussie class and attract new people to the racing then a basic set up where the cost is a known quantity in my opinion is preferable to one where you start with a $150-$180 car and then find that in order to have the car on the pace you need to spend money for more parts.

cheers

DM

Edited by dangermouse

As I was telling Jason the scanning or CAD files for printing are the big expense

what dose that mean in $ (ball park)

I think that the plan here in Qld, is to supply a lexan body on a 1700C chassis, these are $105 plus $10 motor and the body and decals would be $35 so its a $150 car, dont quote me on prices, but the idea is to have a very simple and ready to run chassis with no mods allowed and a body that you can either buy ready built or build your own.

The only extra cost is if you want to add detail to it to make it more realistic, just remenber this is Model car racing, you have to build the model and then you can race it, or buy it ready to go from one of the many talented builders around the country.

Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

thanks for opening the thread vino lets hope everyone behaves. us 1/24 racers are passionate so sometimes that comes accross negative.

i understand what ou saying gary but i guess the point is if 15 people were willing to pay about $85 for a body the project becomes possible. if someone copies it after that so what...

vino the plafit can am chassis is a great chassis but i think as a starter class to entice you guys over the schooler is a better option, they are readily available and don't need shims to adjust heights etc. they are sold with a brass pan and just as good quality as the plafit. best off all ace Hobbies sell them for $55.

http://acehobbies.com.au/store/product_info.php?cPath=25_49&products_id=683

some of the new guys at our club have these going really fast with miniz bodies on them.

Werner just wanted me to point out that he isn't continuing to stock schoeler chassis but they are still available from other sources

Edited by jasonk1970

I think that the plan here in Qld, is to supply a lexan body on a 1700C chassis, these are $105 plus $10 motor and the body and decals would be $35 so its a $150 car, dont quote me on prices, but the idea is to have a very simple and ready to run chassis with no mods allowed and a body that you can either buy ready built or build your own.

The only extra cost is if you want to add detail to it to make it more realistic, just remenber this is Model car racing, you have to build the model and then you can race it, or buy it ready to go from one of the many talented builders around the country.

there is nothing wrong with this formula if we just want to add another class to the ones we already run, but i don't think it will attract the plastic 1/32 racers to come and try something different. cost is key and there are better value options to the 1700 chassis.

"there are better value options to the 1700 chassis."

Which other options are there ?

and is that value in terms of money or in terms of ease of setup/performance?

The Scholer chassis you mentioned at $55 would be ~$105 to get it rolling same as a rolling 1700 chassis

a Scaleauto chassis kit seems to be $70 to which you have to add $50 in parts. Though I have seen RTR Scaleauto cars for $100 - which would only require a rear wheel change so about $115

cheers

DM

It seems to me that the general consensus is 1/32 Plastic Racers have no interest in Lexan. So, that being the point price really is'nt the issue.

Really this topic is all about the 1/24th scale guys wanting to race Lexan or Plastic V8's.

Lexan is possible, but plastic bodies are virtually impossible because of the high costs associated with injection moulding and high volume run requirements.

Speaking with Jan, (who has already offered to make moulds if we have the donor body) it seems the mould costs for Vac forming and GFK are similar. So, if we are only catering for the existing racers who lets assume already have the skills to build a car why not GFK. The body could be fairly basic, tricked up with the right livery and like Mini Z blackened out windows so we dont have to muck around with cutting out window openings and replacing with lexan. I know some of you on this forum are already in contact with body makers for the Modern GT class so how hard can it be.

The "first" mould is the problem... I know nothing about 3D but surely one each a 1/32 Scalextric Ford and Holden can be digitally re-scaled to 1/24th so we can get the "start-up " mould required.

Edited by axman

It seems to me that the general consensus is 1/32 Plastic Racers have no interest in Lexan. So, that being the point price really is'nt the issue.

Really this topic is all about the 1/24th scale guys wanting to race Lexan or Plastic V8's.

Well that is an unknown Kim.

Vinno is a hard core 32 scale guy and has expressed interest, I have introduced quite a few Sydney 32 racers to my Nascars at home + the promotion of our recent induro had a number of these racers participate. Done correctly, I wouldn't be surprised to see the class go well and see quite a few of these guys make the transition. Adelaide is obviously pushing lexen racing with the new tracks over there, while a different class, the V8's may go very well on the the big road course they have. Penrith is a new commercial centre, finding their feet with what to run as well. When the V8's are seen running around on the track, the interest will come.

Edited by Camber

Hoo Roo

I hear you Cam.. I just think hardbody would be a better way to go if possible... That way we have a better chance of converting some 1/32 guys. If we could get a GFK body made for about $80 it would keep the car price close to $200 which is not out of the question.

Hey Kim, What chassis would you get with bearings and all the running gear for $100 which you would need to do for a $200 car. Chassis $100 + Body $80 + Decals & Paint $20 + Wheel Inserts $10. Close to $200 if you restrict to oilites only. Oh + $10 for a motor

Or do these type of things in lexan for a total of $70 less. One colour and Patto's decals made these 1/24th Lexan V8's which we have been running up in Toowoomba for years. On 1300U chassis.

V8Pirtek.jpg

formal004-2.jpg

Well.. speak up everybody... are these bodies what you're after.... it's the right price point.

And yep, you're right Richo.. I always forget about the pretty stuff... Wheel inserts, Stickers, Can of paint - mind you, I found one can of blue paint paints about 10 bodies... probably why all my slotcars are french blue!

As a so called hard core 1/32 scale racer I would prefer hard body scale type cars like the 1/24 and 1/25 kit bashed ones or the Mini Z style bodies. Cost would not come into so much for me, I like a tuned car with quality components but it isn't always possible to do this with the classes we run in 1/32. It isn't the same for all of us though. The issue is always going to be chosing running gear it seems to me and you will never remove the disagreement between groups. There is no right or wrong way to go and if one group runs something different to another there really isn't a way to make people agree. Our race group had a few races with another based on an agreed set of rules and we ended up just going back to our own racing after that. A couple of guys come across for a race every now and then but it didn't change things much.

We have such a wide choice of cars that we tend to overcrowd our races with many different classes. The scale model look of many of the 1/32 cars attracts us to this scale of racing and the fact we can have many of the cars we like easily. Combine this with the many routed tracks in each others homes and it is easy to attract racers. Surprisingly the V8 Class is not even raced in our group as they don't run particularly well without a lot of work compared to the Slot.it and NSR cars we like.

Would be really nice to see some hard bodied V8's but as most mention cost will be the factor. 3D scanning seems the only easy way to get some nice bodies, maybe talking to Choc Ice from overseas might be an idea?

cost of making a mould is as follows

$150 for a cad file capable of being sent to a commercial 3d printer

$300 approx for a one off print which could be used as a mould

i have been quoted approx $40 to get a body made in resin and approx $75 if we send a mould overseas and have it made from fibreglass/carbon fibre

it just a matter of someone or group of people coming up with he cost of the mould to get this off the ground

"there are better value options to the 1700 chassis."

Which other options are there ?

and is that value in terms of money or in terms of ease of setup/performance?

The Scholer chassis you mentioned at $55 would be ~$105 to get it rolling same as a rolling 1700 chassis

a Scaleauto chassis kit seems to be $70 to which you have to add $50 in parts. Though I have seen RTR Scaleauto cars for $100 - which would only require a rear wheel change so about $115

cheers

DM

in my opinion the schoeler chassis is easier for a new comer to setup as it doesn't need shims to adjust heights and doesn't use seperate bearing holders. makes it easier to true without blue printing, it doesn't rely on the t-plate to get a flat square chassis.

http://www.gridscaleracing.com/intruder-55.html

and for the record the plafit chassis is very good and probably quicker but in my opinion needs more maintenance and is harder to setup.

Hi All

I was looking for V8 super car model kits online yesterday, as you all know they do not exist ,so I thought I would give a couple of stores a ring and have a chat and was told that they may start to appear next year. The bloke in the store was also of the opinion that they wouldn't be able to keep them on the shelves they would sell so fast.

Rodney

Jason,

You need a 3D model like this one.

V8SC1.jpg

V8SC2.jpg

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

these are available from o/s for approx $50 delivered depending on exchange rates at the time.

cheers

warrick

Schöler Striker T55UGVH professional kit for small cars of M Mini-Z M 1:24 and 1:27

Racing chassis for high-quality professional slot racing at club and home lifts

T55UGVH the chassis is supplied as a kit in the bag!

With a 13D motor mounts for engines

For the installation of 6mm ball bearings and 3mm axles!

Features:

Low weight, optimal trim at the various racetracks possible.

Infinitely adjustable body mounts.

Closed base, thus always optimal engine cooling.

Front axle suspension.

Height adjustment of the engine motor mount, manufacturing tolerances can be compensated by the motor housing so.

Vorderachshalter Hinterachshalter 44mm 31mm wide

The setting of different wheel diameter is about infinitely adjustable front and rear axle support

Specifications:

Base plate thickness, 1.5 mm brass

Weight 80 grams with suspension

Wheelbase: min. 87mm with twisted Vorderachshalter

Wheelbase max. 109mm.

Edited by warrick

Whats wrong with the MJK soft body FJ chassis, uncomplicated Aussie made chassis that will take the V8 bodies, same as the FJ class run at the nationals till a few years ago, a complete car would cost less than $120 and be bullit proof. BRK

Jason,

V8SC1.jpg

V8SC2.jpg

that looks the business gary, will have a chat to the printer and see what he sais...

Hi Guys

I'm sure with the Yanks love of Nascar it won't be long before Revell or Monogram will be producing the Commodore SS & the Ford Fision, with the axing of the Falcon in Australia maybe Ford will use the Fusion if they wan't to continue in V8 Super cars.

They may not be perfect replica's of our V8 Super cars but will be a better option than Lexan.

Cheers Jimmy :D

To finsh first,first you gotta finish

$150 for a cad file capable of being sent to a commercial 3d printer

That sounds very cheap to me. I would be checking the quality of the file before parting with any cash.

I have payed more than that for basic CAD 2D files to be drawn.

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

Jason,

V8SC1.jpg

V8SC2.jpg

that looks the business gary, will have a chat to the printer and see what he sais...

Hi Guys

I'm sure with the Yanks love of Nascar it won't be long before Revell or Monogram will be producing the Commodore SS & the Ford Fision, with the axing of the Falcon in Australia maybe Ford will use the Fusion if they wan't to continue in V8 Super cars.

They may not be perfect replica's of our V8 Super cars but will be a better option than Lexan.

Cheers Jimmy :D

I tend to agree with you Jimmy

Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

Hi Guy's was in Penrith today and saw these 1/24 scale Radio Controlled Nissan Altima V8 Supercars. Would make a nice strong body for a Slot Car. They are $50.00 so if you have a Dick Smith nearby and are looking for a body option if this class is still on the cars go down and have a look.

NissanV81.jpg