jasonk1970

Aussie V8 Class ?

No Spares are available for SA either. Even tyres can be a struggle.

maybe skinny tyres too . Slow and sideways is just as much fun maybe more so .

Cheers

Paul

Definately, heck if you want to make it really fun stick a set of MJK's on the back :D They last for ages as well.

Edited by Camber

Hoo Roo

Not having had any experience with the Scholer chassis can't really comment.......

Cheers Jimmy :D

Jimmie,

You don't have to worry, it is fantastic.....and because it has no axle height blocks with spacers and shims, it is very easy to adjust.....which is exactly what you want for beginners etc.....

But still, I can't see myself support a fixed chassis class.....have had enough of that.....

Cheers,

Jan

'The older I get the faster I was.'

Hi guys

I'd like to make a suggestion if I can . Try to avoid to politics of choosing a chassis . In the end it's about enjoyment with the people you race with .

Over the years I have come to realise that it doesn't really matter what the cars are or what the class rules are . What really matters is whether you enjoy racing with the bunch of guys that come along to enjoy racing slotcars every week . Political termoil tears groups apart , I've seen it time and time again .

I think everyone agrees that V8's would be a very popular class and long overdue in 1/24 racing and I'm sure once we have bodies sorted a chassis will be chosen the next day if it hasn't been already . Does it matter what chassis ? Not really . Would I rather sit at home by myself ? Not really .

So lets try to use a little perspective and look forward to creating a class the 1/32 racers have enjoyed for years . And remember , it's the people you meet that makes you won't to come back not the chassis they drive .

It depends where we want to go with this Paul.

If every club has a free for all in terms of chassis choice, the options of inter club, inter state and "possibly" national racing of this class at MCN and APC in the future won't happen. I think this would be a shame, but then again maybe I'm just dreaming so all of this talk has just been meaningless drivel.

One thing I know for sure is multi chassis racing will see this class for the elite racers, new guys will be confused, give up and it won't grow.

I think V8's have the potential to take off even more so than Scaleauto racing if its done right.

Hoo Roo

I agree whole heartedly Cam . It would be best to have a uniform guide line for all clubs and also be aligned with an existing format . I don't think we need another stand alone series .

I'm sure the people working on this have already chosen a chassis and set of rules . I was just trying to say that we should enjoy it for what it is when it arrives .

See you at APC

Paul

Edited by paulthetexan

It depends where we want to go with this Paul.

If every club has a free for all in terms of chassis choice, the options of inter club, inter state and "possibly" national racing of this class at MCN and APC in the future won't happen. I think this would be a shame, but then again maybe I'm just dreaming so all of this talk has just been meaningless drivel.

One thing I know for sure is multi chassis racing will see this class for the elite racers, new guys will be confused, give up and it won't grow.

I think V8's have the potential to take off even more so than Scaleauto racing if its done right.

i don't agree cam, we a been running an open mini z class and the new guys have been doing well and having a ball running non plafit chassis. reality is there is very little difference in speed when parameters are set to run by. the complexity of setting up cars are all in the rules, limit the rules and the car setup becomes simple.

i also think this shoud be a club level class not a national one we already have too many of those.

scale auto is a great class because you really can't do much to them except make sure they are square and tweak the h plate. i have raced a lot of slot cars and have a scale auto car that is as fast as anyone because it doesn't need springs and doesn't have 100 different setup options. i have built my mini z 4 times now and i am still 3tenths off the pace.

but as paul has said its not about the chassis it's about having fun and the more people we can attract to 1/24 scale racing the better.

the reason i started ths thread was because i thought scale auto cars (or some other simple non sprung chassis) with a hard body v8 shell would go gang busters, i wanted to see if there was enough interest to warrant he cost of making bodies and instead it has gone down the political road of plafit chassis. yes plafit make great chassis and if it was simple enough we would have more people racing, the reality is plastic car racing out numbers plafit racing 3-1 and it has nothing to do with initial cost of purchasing a car.

Not having had any experience with the Scholer chassis can't really comment.......

Cheers Jimmy :D

Jimmie,

You don't have to worry, it is fantastic.....and because it has no axle height blocks with spacers and shims, it is very easy to adjust.....which is exactly what you want for beginners etc.....

But still, I can't see myself support a fixed chassis class.....have had enough of that.....

Cheers,

Jan

So does that mean you won't be campaigning the Scaleauto class any more Jan?

If the club I race at sets up some rules to race within, including chassis guide lines, I have an opportunity to go racing. It may take me six months to have a car that is competitive, but at least I will have a chance to enjoy the class. However if it is a free for all, most $$$$ wins then enjoyment factor will not be there, and dare I say, I will not race at my club event.

paulthetexan has nailed it for me = enjoying racing with the fellow racers is what it is about. The fast cars and competition will come with time, help from the super powers of your club and practice.

Only my 2 cents from a relative newcomer

Jerimiah83

Cheers,

Jan

So does that mean you won't be campaigning the Scaleauto class any more Jan?

Jerimiah83

Mate,

I will most definitely continue to support the Scale Auto class. My comment is aimed at the overwhelming single chassis brand racing we already have in so many of our model car classes. Sorry if I had you confused for a moment.

As far as I am concerned; there will always be a case to be made both ways, but the single chassis classes must never be the only classes we race.

At my own track I support one single chassis brand per event, all the other classes at the same event must be open chassis classes. This simply means that racers are allowed to run other brands, if they choose. This principal goes no matter which single chassis brand is raced on the night. - Plafit, Scholer or Scale Auto - and will continue if any other single chassis brands are introduced. For example; we race Open Mini Z, Scale Auto and OAPR LMP's on a night. The next time we race Open Modern GT, Open lexan Grp C and Plafit F1's.

So please, let's drop the politics, as suggested already - and allow an open well specified and performance controlled choice of chassis.

This 'open' choice can easily include sensible cost parameters too - just think about it. We can put a maximum $$$$$ value on the cars - which may have to be proved by anyone suspected of spending too much.......after all the www is there for all to check.

Cheers,

Jan

Really, it's all about the objective.. and as Paul the Texan says its also about having fun with your mates...

As Australians we all have a connection and soft spot for our home brand V8 class so really we have to analyse what market we are chasing.

Are we looking at the V8 class as yet another class for all the existing racers.. If so, I agree with Jan and Jason.

However, if we're looking to use the V8 class as a "next step" to convert 1/32 plastic racers and as an introduction class to newbies that are just starting I agree with Cam and Jimmy..

Thanks Jason for starting this thread... What are our objectives to who are we trying to appeal to... that way we can formulate a plan.

Edited by axman

Kim,

I think we already have the 'next step' - Scale Auto. Anyway you are surely not suggesting the 'next step' should be with lexan bodies - because that is what we are trying to use in this class. The conversion from 1/32 plastics has never before been done with lexan bodies, neither has it ever been done with complicated multiple part chassis.

Having again read Jason's original post - for my part, we are are aiming to race some thoroughbred Aussie V8's with what it takes by whoever want to put their hands up and man up to the occasion.

Cheers,

Jan

Hi all

After reading all the recent posts I thought I might add my thoughts, for what they're worth

I would like to see the V8s have hard bodies rather than lexon bodies

I think the hard bodies look better and would be more appealing to people swapping from 1/32 to 1/24 as an introductory class.

The introductory class (scale auto's) we had, has been corrupted by all the rules, light weight interiors, different motors in the same class,the cost of changing to sponge tyre, the general lack of spare parts and when races are organized for the class its by invitation only, which makes it hard for newbies to get their heads around and puts the $$$$ up and up and up

The advantage of using plafit chassis,s is that you have a lot more universal parts that keep costs down.

One tyre (don't care which)- plafit, MJK or scaleauto(if you can find some)-as its the same for all

Oil lights rather than bearings to keep the cost down

I hope this adds to the conversation

The introductory class (scale auto's) we had, has been corrupted by all the rules, light weight interiors, different motors in the same class,the cost of changing to sponge tyre, the general lack of spare parts and when races are organized for the class its by invitation only, which makes it hard for newbies to get their heads around and puts the $$$$ up and up and up

The advantage of using plafit chassis,s is that you have a lot more universal parts that keep costs down.

Hi Sticks,

I am curious; first, what Scale Auto parts have you not been able to find, but more importantly - what parts did you actually need? Second, why don't you race them as they come out the box - many guys do. It is only at national level that there are a set of parity rules in place to govern the class, but a club level we pretty much race them as they come. As for costs, most guys racing Scale Auto will actually attest to the fact that they don't spend much at all, as the cars are basic and don't break.

Next, what universal Plafit parts are you referring to - are these the same universal parts we can use on all our other cars - if so, then maybe you should simply use them on your Scale Auto.

BUT coming back to the V8's - can you suggest a set of hard bodies to use, because if you can, you will be very helpful.

Cheers,

Jan

Edited by Springbok Racer

First I would like to apologise for bringing SA into the V8 thread but I would like to answer Jan

Jan, I don't think you understand what's going on, its not me but the newbies that can't get the parts because they are not stocked at local slot shops. I'll go to the end of the earth and often have to, to buy parts. We found that the standard rubber tyres ball up and were crap after one race, lots of stripped gears, the guides are not the best, stripped threads in the chassis and other little bits and pieces; it not a major problem for experienced people, but it is for newbies.

I am very much of KISS principle. I think that most of us on the forum have been racing for some years (some for more years than we care to remember) so small problems with cars and chassis are not hard to overcome with parts we may already have, gears tyres screws ect, But this class is for newbies to get into 1/24 scale racing. So this is what my thinking is, it may be a dream, but here I go.

Hanging on the wall in your local slot shop or club, is an assembled chassis with tyres, oil lights, guide and motor, probably with a fixed gear ratio, and hanging next to the chassis is a range of bodies (I think hard bodies would be best) Commodores and Falcons to start with, then others to come later, with some painted in relevant liveries, and white kits, all come with painted lexon interiors. I think the painted bodies would encourage a lot of interest in this class and promote sales. Perhaps the shop or club could mount the body as part of the price and the car is handed over ready to race.

As for the V8 hard bodies, the only ones I have seen are the Commordores that Repco and Toy stores have, which are RC models and are more likely about 1/28 scale, but I think that if someone could make a mould and cast them in the appropriate size and material they would sell like hot cakes. If this does not happen then I think the next best is lexon bodies, which would not be too difficult to make.

The only problem with a dream it take a lot of hard work to turn it into reality.

Rod

Quick question? Has anyone approached a 3D printing place to 3D scan a 1/18 scale diecast car and then scale it down to 1/24 scale and print a mold. Wouldn't this make it easy and I know the technology is there but have no idea on pricing.

Myself as a track owner would love scale V8 Supercars to sell over my counter. The only catch would be the chassis needs to be easy to set up and maintain. I would love a scale length Flexi car but I do come from that back ground.

i wanted to see if there was enough interest to warrant he cost of making bodies and instead it has gone down the political road of plafit chassis.

My suggestions re Plafit chassis having nothing to do with politics and everything to do with making a logical and sensible choice on a chassis based on price, availability, spare parts, performance and ease of setup. If a 1/24 class was going to take off and appeal to just about every slot racer out there, this would be it. As we all know, Scalextric produce them in 1/32 pretty much exclusively for the Australia market. Why make it overly complicated when a fantastic solution is staring us in the face.

If we could get on the same page with this, Werner may be interested in supplying a chassis with larger wheels (say 21mm) to make it even easier and affordable.

Hoo Roo

OK Guy's thread open again. Reading above I like what Cam has suggested above. Coming from 1/32 home racing even though we do a lot of work on cars going to a new class like V8 1/24 scale a common chassis with a simple set of rules would make the racing attractive. Without offending anyone, a lot of what us 1/32 people read with 1/24 scale does put us off racing in those classes. We are mostly scale hard body racers and some of the cars Cam has brought to Penrith recently has opened our eyes up.

Would be nice to see V8's in hard bodies and 1/24 scale so hopefully you guys can arrange something.

Adrian,

Getting a V8 Supercar mold made by 3D printer is a good idea but how to justify the cost when the bodies will be copied as soon as they hit the market.

And there's nothing you can do about it because you don't own the design. Holden, Ford, Mercedes and Nissan own the designs along with V8 Supercar.

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

If you are going to limit chassis why not limit bodies to make it more economic and fair. There is still plenty to do painting them up etc.

Second thought - if the are unpainted is there a licencing problem? Can only guess that is why 1/32 Scalextric ones are so much dearer than other Scalextric cars.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

OK Guy's thread open again.

Without offending anyone, a lot of what us 1/32 people read with 1/24 scale does put us off racing in those classes. We are mostly scale hard body racers and some of the cars Cam has brought to Penrith recently has opened our eyes up.

Would be nice to see V8's in hard bodies and 1/24 scale so hopefully you guys can arrange something.

Thanks Vinno,

Thing is, I know exactly where you are coming from because I was there less than 2 years ago. The mind boggles (mine certainly does anyway) at the different chassis and setups available for this kind of scale racing.

It is encoraging to hear some 32 guys may show some interest in this class, more ammunition for the single chassis, simple and cheap approach.

Hoo Roo

thanks for opening the thread vino lets hope everyone behaves. us 1/24 racers are passionate so sometimes that comes accross negative.

i understand what ou saying gary but i guess the point is if 15 people were willing to pay about $85 for a body the project becomes possible. if someone copies it after that so what...

vino the plafit can am chassis is a great chassis but i think as a starter class to entice you guys over the schooler is a better option, they are readily available and don't need shims to adjust heights etc. they are sold with a brass pan and just as good quality as the plafit. best off all ace Hobbies sell them for $55.

http://acehobbies.com.au/store/product_info.php?cPath=25_49&products_id=683

some of the new guys at our club have these going really fast with miniz bodies on them.

Holden are very protective of their brand name and models.It it looks like a Commodore and is called a Holden or commodore they will want a licence fee.

As I was telling Jason the scanning or CAD files for printing are the big expense.

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

thanks for opening the thread vino lets hope everyone behaves. us 1/24 racers are passionate so sometimes that comes accross negative.

i understand what ou saying gary but i guess the point is if 15 people were willing to pay about $85 for a body the project becomes possible. if someone copies it after that so what...

vino the plafit can am chassis is a great chassis but i think as a starter class to entice you guys over the schooler is a better option, they are readily available and don't need shims to adjust heights etc. they are sold with a brass pan and just as good quality as the plafit. best off all ace Hobbies sell them for $55.

http://acehobbies.co...products_id=683

some of the new guys at our club have these going really fast with miniz bodies on them.

Jason, there is no difference between these and the Plafit 1300U chassis, I think you have missed a few points that people are making, why introduce yet another chassis that clubs do not want to support, and in my opinion they are way off the pace of the Plafit 1700 chassis that most people are running under their Mini Z. The 1700 has been around for so long now and nearely every slot car center in Australia has spares on the shelf, you cant say the same for Scholer. dont get me wrong I think they are ok but just a minority. this is not what we want.

Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

http://acehobbies.co...products_id=683

Jason, there is no difference between these and the Plafit 1300U chassis, I think you have missed a few points that people are making, why introduce yet another chassis that clubs do not want to support, and in my opinion they are way off the pace of the Plafit 1700 chassis that most people are running under their Mini Z. The 1700 has been around for so long now and nearely every slot car center in Australia has spares on the shelf, you cant say the same for Scholer. dont get me wrong I think they are ok but just a minority. this is not what we want.

Ditto :D What he said :D

To finsh first,first you gotta finish

Holden are very protective of their brand name and models.It it looks like a Commodore and is called a Holden or commodore they will want a licence fee.

As I was telling Jason the scanning or CAD files for printing are the big expense.

How do they go about flexi bodies as there are versions of all the major brands out there aren't there? Can they look like them without being called by their real names? H C, or F F.

If someone were making money from their brand name, it might be an issue. However, I dare say that their Intellectual Property lawyers have better things to do than hunt down a few deranged hobby geeks. I really don't think we need to worry.

As for the "one chassis" idea, I think it's very excellent. Werner has a number of chassis available that would fit the bill, and he is very good about making sure that appropriate stocks of chassis and parts are available. The real V8's are effectively a one-chassis class, so why not just pick something that Werner can supply and stick with that? I couldn't care less if it is Plafit, ScaleAuto or Schoeler ( or something else). So long as everybody has the same chassis and "bolt on" parts, we'll enjoy ourselves.

Edited by Tim Tyler

13 times world wanking champion. Not proud of it.