mattcrackers

Slot Car Carry Box Built For My Wascrg Cars.

Hi,

Since joining WASCRG late last year and needing something to take my racing cars to and from Syd's track I picked myself up one of those Aluminium looking cases from Bunnings, added a little foam and used that as my slot car carry box. Must say I have really been enjoying the racing, great bunch of people and beats racing by myself at home all the time, and I'm improving as well, that's always a bonus.

As time went on and seeing what the other guys were using I decided to have a crack at making one for myself that would fit a few cars in and look the part as well. I already had some 6mm & 3mm MDF in the shed so about 3 weeks ago decided on what measurements were required and got to work routing, cutting, screwing and gluing the box.

Here's what I come up with after a little bit of work.

This box is to be painted yet, so still needs a little sanding etc.

36251169543_0b4d08538b_o.jpg

The box open.

36251170563_aba4281faa_o.jpg

Plenty of storage for spares etc in the drawers/doors.

36223853214_41d62824f2_o.jpg

And this is what happens when you don't follow your own plans :o . I accidentally routed the full length of the MDF for the shelving rebates etc so decided just to go and get another 6mm sheet of MDF and have enough material for 3 boxes.

Box No 2

36223849174_d971aa3509_o.jpg36223851904_90e0aa3142_o.jpg

The only difference between the 2 boxes is the length as you can see in the next pic. Box No 2 will be able to fit a 1/24 car or 2 if I ever feel the need to get one :).

36223848094_0d0fcd47fa_o.jpg

Welll that's where I am at the moment, will post some pics of the painted box (boxes) when I'm able to.

Cheers

Matt

Edited by mattcrackers

nice work they look great

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ ןןoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

I can't imagine how they will get better, but I just know that a coat of paint will do just that... Very Nice work...

Cheers guys.

I'd probably leave them unpainted shadow_rusty but as most know MDF doesn't like water/liquids and will swell when it gets wet so will really be painting them for protection, leaning towards Gulf blue at the moment with a couple of decals and a nice clear (shiny) finish, maybe an orange stripe as well,mmmm decisions decisions.

Matt

See, I told you it would get better...

Had a couple of sunny days here in Perth so I've been able to lay a few coats of paint down on Box No 2. Thought I'd try out the larger box firstly just in case I stuffed up the paint job. Managed to get down the primer, undercoat and the first coat of the 'Gulf Powder Blue', come up better than expected over the MDF actually. Now I just need to decide on how/where the orange stripe with the Gulf logo will go, do I go straight down the middle or have a stripe down each door. Will post progress pics when I can.

Matt

Here's a couple of photos of the completed 'Box No 2'.

Before.

36223849174_d971aa3509_o.jpg

And after a little paint.

36661882660_bc89bd61b7_o.jpg36661882800_e5e90d2f41_o.jpg

Cheers

Matt

Edited by mattcrackers

Matt, you're making the rest of us look bad

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

This design of box has been around a very long time, but is still the best I have seen.

I had a rose wood version Dad built me in the sixties, bloody sold it,then had to build some more when I got back onto 1/24 racing 20 years ago.

Just about every racer would have one painted in different colours.

With the change to 1/32 cars there seems to be a lot less of them around.

I should build a version to carry 1/32 cars!

Nice choice of team colours.

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

Cheers Syd, hopefully I can make Friday and Saturday this week, definately Saturday.

Garry J, don't know if I'm making the rest look bad, get all my inspiration from Auslot etc.

Hey Embs, not quite sure about the weight, I do know it weighs a little filled with cars, will weigh it next time I'm near the scales. Like a bloke at a WASCRG meeting said to me though, it's only heavy from the front door to the car- car to the front door.

Cheers Phil, I bet the rose wood version your Dad built you back in the sixties was top notch, bet his construction methods would put me to shame. I did look around the net for different versions of these type of boxes and decided that after seeing what they were being sold for in the US I might as well have a go and build one for myself.

Thanks

Matt

And after a little paint.

039-1_zps489f4704.jpg

Matt, Awesome workmanship, that looks sensational.

Clevo

Resized to 83% (was 1006 x 146) - Click image to enlarge

Cheers fellas,

I've been assembling the third box and am yet to paint Box #1, still really can't decide on a colour scheme yet, the Gulf colours were always going to be done but I'm not sure as to what I want on the next two. Box #1 will be my racing box and the Gulf box will be used for storing cars in the garage/shed. I'm always open to ideas from others as to what colour would look great on the boxes.

Matt

• Upvote 1

Matt,

if you have paint left over, you could always paint the other two liveries like the bonnets from JWA's GT40's from the 69 LeMans . You already have a perfect reproduction of the #10 cars bonnet.You have great taste in liveries :D

The triple pack in the back of this photo.

P1010011-1.jpg

Clevo

Edited by Cleveland

Resized to 83% (was 1006 x 146) - Click image to enlarge

Plenty of paint leftover Clevo, thanks for the input, did always want my racebox in the Gulf colours, even thought of doing a similar paint job to the box I've already painted but actually having a large number where the latch is, like the #10 car, and maybe some Gulf stickers on the sides of the boxes. Looks like some sunny weather here in Fremantle today so I'll see if I can get some paint on.

cheers

Matt

Gulf would make sense as you already have the paint Matt. But, my vote would be JPS. Can't beat black and gold (or black and cream).

Or maybe classic Lotus colours.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Hi Embs,

I did think about doing one of the remaining boxes the Lotus green (or as close) as I did on my Lotus 16 scratchbuild a while ago, easier enough to do and the Lotus stickers/decals are readily available online,it would also be a nice touch for somewhere to store my growing collection of Scalextric/Triang C54 Lotus 16's.

The JPS black and gold would also look great but I would also have to change the hardware (hinges,handle,latch) to either a 'gold chrome' or brass as the chrome wouldn't look as good on the JPS livery, just wouldn't be right.

I did manage to get some primer on the first box as we are having a beautiful sunny weekend here in Perth, just right for a little painting and maybe a coldie or two this arvo.

cheers

Matt

I did manage to get some primer on the first box as we are having a beautiful sunny weekend here in Perth, just right for a little painting and maybe a coldie or two this arvo.

Yeah. Go on. Rub it in boyo. Cold and grey here sod it.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Sorry Embs, rubbing it in would be saying I'm sitting here right now in T-shirt and shorts outside in the sun enjoying the latest single batch beer from Little Creatures, goes down a treat too.lol

Whilst that's no way for a lady to talk Embs, I totally agree...

Had the top down on the golf last weekend, but there was no way that was happening this weekend... Brrr...