Retiring Among The Grapevines

Ember

Well. Tomorrow is Gaydon Slot Festival day. And with that comes the hand out of the souvenir programme. Thought I would share with you my little part of that programme.

I built this little diorama to house my 2012 SCX World Proxy car in its retirement. Since its completion, the car and diorama have been in residence at the Koonara Wines cellar door in Penola. This was actually the first of these 'out of the box' dioramas that I built, but was unable to show it until now.

It started off with a base of stained pine and 3mm MDF.

S01_base_zps630d314d.jpg

Contouring was added with some scraps of floristry foam.

S05_contouringbetter_zpscee3b437.jpg

Mud applied which is a mixture of paint, joint compound and crushed rock.

S07_mudding_zpsdfdb424d.jpg

When dried I sponged the surface back to expose more of the rock.

S09_dry_and_sponged_zps0ced2b10.jpg

Static grass mix added with a puffer bottle, a very green blend for a change.

S13_grass_zpsa2c2ee1f.jpg

Long grass and the frames for the vines.

S15_long_grass_zps8e54d108.jpg

Then the vines themselves.

S17_vine_detail_zpsc4cd2dfc.jpg

And finally leaves, which are once again from a laser cut Kamazukuri paper kit.

S18_leavesdetail_zps2b0dd863.jpg

The finished product.

S_fin_display_zps571c07e1.jpg

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

When I looked it over I realised there was something missing. Something small but important. Grapes. Thought a lot about it, but could not come up with an idea of how to produce them. Graham Lane came to my rescue. Poppy seeds! And they worked a treat.

S_02KoonaraLancer_zpsdb66fc07.jpg

S_IMG_9322_zps0583999d.jpg

S_IMG_9394_zpsf9b0de02.jpg

S_IMG_9560_zps9b3a72e9.jpg

Now... What shall I do for this year's WRP car when it retires. A publishing house?

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Just keeps getting better and better...

Not sure how you keep getting your inspiration, but damn that is totally awesome...

Do you put any sort of cover over it to keep the dust off, or just display in an enclosed cabinet?

:huh:

That is a bit of a concern, I'm afraid. I did get a quote to have perspex covers made for them but they were going to cost around $150 mark and weigh a ton. Any ideas? Would vac form work?

Where's the wine bottle? :angry:

:lol: I actually thought about trying a picnic hamper and some rubbish but I ran out of time.

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Great work Embs, has come up a treat. As for clear covers you can buy certain cheap items every now and again that come with a base and clear covers (made in china) from the local $2 shops, might be an easier and cheaper way to be able to make your diorama's and keep the dust off. Thats if theres thse type of stores in your area.

. As for clear covers you can buy certain cheap items every now and again that come with a base and clear covers (made in china) from the local $2 shops, might be an easier and cheaper way to be able to make your diorama's and keep the dust off. Thats if theres thse type of stores in your area.

You are kind of need to start backwards I.e. make your base fit a ready-made clear cover such as a cheap fish or reptile tank.

One of the reasons I moved out of the slot car crystal cases was that there was limited room in them for doing the type of scenes that people were asking about.

I had investigated the big display boxes, but they are quite expensive. I need an inexpensive reliable source that I can work with.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

WOW i am so lost for words never seen anything even close to that pursuit for prefection even my wife who has no interest in dioramas or slots saw your work and was speechless, think i may fly you to newcastle and get you to do some up here it would be worth the added cost of accomodation and airfairs. Very Very impressed

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ ןןoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

• 2 weeks later...

What about a top sheet only? Propped up with some nice stainless corner posts???

That'd be classy enough for a plonk shop, surely???

A better bunch of grapes, I'm yet to see! How'd ya color 'em?????

Cheers,

Dick

SCMR build thread

Woodbrook Valley build thread

"A Man's home is his castle, but his garage is his sanctuary!"

No colour Dick. They're natural poppy seeds. Fortunately I wasn't wanting green ones, but a trip to the local spice rack would probably turn something suitable up. Celery seed or mustard see maybe?

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

• 1 month later...

Yep.. you need a dust tight lid. Glass is cheap... Draw up a cutting plan and get a local glazier to supply as "flat pack" with polished or arised edges. Make it like an aquarium with clear silicon and perhaps be a bit creative with shape.. like a 45 degree front panel so you are not looking at "the edge" of the glass a normal box shape create's.

• 2 weeks later...

only noticed this thread today.

this is the work of a gifted person. i can count on one hand, the amount of gifted people capable of doing work like this in my life. i still cant comprehend how much effort and talent, it would take to do what you do Ember.

when did you discover this gift?

Shed People Mutual Admiration Society

2 times Australian National Champion

1991-Flexicar 1999- Group 12 Sedan

Thanks. I suppose I discovered the 'talent' around about the time I started working on the landscaping on my track. The inspiration was in seeing the detail available in current mass produced slot cars. Seeing what other people were doing with their tracks made me want to try more. The first step was the old shed was the first step away from the actual track.

There are plenty of people out there doing this sort of thing with military modeling. Some are doing it with static car models. Many are doing it with model rail. And now we are catching up with slot car related modeling.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

I have to completely agree with Embs. Go down to your local newsagent and you will probably find three UK model rail magazines that come out monthly with similar modelling. It's just that car tuning can take much of your attention away from scenic work, so it hasn't been as prolific. But Embs definitely carries the flag, a kind of Joan of Arc...