39 replies to this topic

#21 terry

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:58 AM

View Postchenglaw, on 19 May 2013 - 01:19 AM, said:

Thanks, Terry for running this round. Well, at least my Honda managed to finish a little higher up the table, although not quite what I had expected of it after qualifying. Looked like it didn't go too well in the Red Lane but was better on Yellow and White. I guess it didn't like the Red, lagging some 8 laps off the pace whereas it was only 3 and 5 laps behind in the other two. Congrats to Marek., Phil and Stewart for their podium finishes!

Hi Lim, well your car was showing good form going into the race,however I did not take into account the fact that our guest drivers have had very little experience in driving these cars,and both were mindful of the fact that they were really keen to give all the cars a fair run without being too aggressive with their driving,so I think in your case that is what happened,another issue was the solarbotics motor,which do lack brakes and are a different animal to the other motors used ,so driving habits have to be adjusted,each car that used the solarbotics motor varied to each other,your car was the fastest down the straight,but the one lacking the most when it came to brakes,I was lucky enough to have had the cars here and experience each cars habits enough to allow me to push a little harder,that can be seen by my lap times on my lane,yellow,having said all that I enjoyed your car to drive,it behaved quite nicely and handled and had good grip.

Terry

#22 terry

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:04 AM

View Postslo1quick, on 18 May 2013 - 11:12 PM, said:

Aother Big day at the office by the looks. Thanks for the well run round Terry, you have got to be one of the best proxy hosts. From what I see all the events and proxies you put your hand up for are run on time at the time you schedule to run and run well and the cars all looked after, with repairs done where needed. This one is no exception, its great to have you on board! Same can be said with all the other TC hosts too. It all helps make the Tasman run smoothly and quickly. Thanks Steve and Oldslot too, any chance we'll see Steve and Viv entering a car next year?
Certainly a turn around for the #3 car. Did you put some tyre warmers on it?
Congrats and well done to Marek, Phil and Stew. Looks like Matt might be back on track too.
Stubbo had some good times Im surprized I finished in front of him. I'll never he the end of it he misses out on the series by less than 4 points! :blink:
Is 7th a PB for you Terry?

Well yes, I think 7th is my best finish in any F1 proxy,although I was a little annoyed that during the week I have been aware that I have been using the wrong tyres all along!

I thought it was my chassis or something else!

New tyres are on their way,but too late for this one,still I was happy with the car,I suppose if you are going to get a reasonable it has to be at your home track.

Terry

Edited by terry, 19 May 2013 - 07:46 AM.

#23 terry

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:48 AM

A few pics of the field;
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by terry, 19 May 2013 - 08:22 AM.

#24 miveson

Raid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:01 AM

Well it looks like you had a great day running the round... well done to the podium getters and to Terry, Viv and Steve for their efforts in running the round so efficiently.

My car is nothing but consistent in coming 15th for the last 3 rounds - still I've got plenty to learn.

Thanks fellas.

#25 terry

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:29 AM

We missed you on race day Mark,I'm sure you would get a lot out of seeing the cars in your hand.

Your car has speed,but maybe lacking in a few areas,nothing major just bits here and there,I think we gave the car as much as we could,its one of those things where you need to make the decision as to how hard do you push here,a deslot will cost a lap at my place so you have to bear that in mind.

We did have a good time though,not sure if Viv will take to the soldering iron,but Steve now has a BT11A courtesy of tassie resins,so he has no reason not to get into it.

I think you already know yourself that if Steve did get into it the car would be quick,he just needs a "nudge".

Terry

#26 SlotsNZ

Formula 1 Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,771 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:28 PM

Hiya Terry thanks for hosting, and all the information and pics.

Could you give me a "run down" [ very apt phrase :( ] on the #22 . . . ie, an out of 10 compared to the top guys on the basic areas

ie balance, speed, brakes, grip, smoothness, stability/predictability . . . .

I have the solarbotics motor too, but deliberately chose to gear it down quite a bit more than other guys, to try and create a compromise that might still have a few legs, but would have some brakes, so I'm keen to see how others feel about how that decision has worked out as well.
Slots addict 1st class * Classic quote for 2019 "whaa whaa whoo, where is I " * My Track Oakland Raceway V2 | * | Club Website

#27 kalbfellp

Formula 1 Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,856 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

I am sure I could find the "Old Bloke" a body he might remember to build a car.Something like the Fergy should be his style!

Edited by kalbfellp, 19 May 2013 - 01:12 PM.

#28 oldslot

old slot

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:30 PM

funny you should say that Phil as that's exactly what I thought would be the way I'd go if I did attempt it. trouble being my soldering skills are not to flash these days. but I did enjoy the chance to have a drive of the cars I was probably a bit Conservative in my driving so let the side down a bit in the red lane but then it was the same for all. one thing that struck me was the variation in the handling seeing as how the chassis are so similar.
never know

#29 lenny broke

7th runner up 1978 South Australian Womp Championship

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

Thanks to Terry, Viv and Steve for running the round this weekend.
Congratulations to Marek, Alan and Phil for their results.
and thanks for getting my conveyance into the 10 again, fairly gruntled with that. I'd be interested in some feedback on #9 please Terry

My round is next up on June 1, depending on when the cars arrive I'll start with a timed shake down to check on the cars and get some impressions on how they all run. I have a family function in Port Augusta next weekend so I expect things will kick off on Tuesday week. I'll start anew thread later this week once I've finalised the program.
Looking forward to the coming race week.
regards
Alan

#30 charlesx

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:28 PM

Congrats to podiumites. Good to see Slo1quick and Biedmatt back near to top of the leader board too.

Great job also by the organisers. A very efficient and timely job of both actual round and results.

Not so sure about the comments on Solabotic motor however. Old23, Slo1quick and Stubbo all ran these and they were 3rd, 5th and 6th. Most of the Solabotic users had the same gearing as well (3:1) and tyres. Perhaps more the general handling.

For my own car it went from 9th to 12th to 19th so that was a bit disappointing but that is racing.

Like SlotsNZ I would be very appreciative of any tips that can be given to help with performance improvement.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

#31 kalbfellp

Formula 1 Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,856 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:36 PM

Viv no need to solder just get an "Origami" PPL and fold it up. They go well once sorted.
The Solarbotics vary a lot from batch to batch. At the price best to buy 10 and pick the best one out!

Edited by kalbfellp, 19 May 2013 - 04:38 PM.

#32 terry

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:47 PM

View PostSlotsNZ, on 19 May 2013 - 12:28 PM, said:

Hiya Terry thanks for hosting, and all the information and pics.

Could you give me a "run down" [ very apt phrase :( ] on the #22 . . . ie, an out of 10 compared to the top guys on the basic areas

ie balance, speed, brakes, grip, smoothness, stability/predictability . . . .

I have the solarbotics motor too, but deliberately chose to gear it down quite a bit more than other guys, to try and create a compromise that might still have a few legs, but would have some brakes, so I'm keen to see how others feel about how that decision has worked out as well.

Hi Mark,I guess the thing with your car which stood out was that it lacked the zip some of the other cars showed,in most cases predictable,but out of nowhere it would snap on you and deslot,so it was a little unpredictable at the worst time or place,the tyres didn't have the sort of grip others had either.The car felt "heavy".

View Postkalbfellp, on 19 May 2013 - 01:11 PM, said:

I am sure I could find the "Old Bloke" a body he might remember to build a car.Something like the Fergy should be his style!

Don't mention the Fergy,had to be the hardest car in the field to drive,the guide had a limited turn to it and prevented the car from turning through tight corners,had a tendency to tip over as well.

View Postlenny broke, on 19 May 2013 - 03:12 PM, said:

Thanks to Terry, Viv and Steve for running the round this weekend.
Congratulations to Marek, Alan and Phil for their results.
and thanks for getting my conveyance into the 10 again, fairly gruntled with that. I'd be interested in some feedback on #9 please Terry

Alan,your car was close,there are 3 or 4 cars on the top "tier",then there are probably 5 or 6 cars below that,yours(and mine) are in that group,your car lacked outright speed and you needed tp push it as hard as you could to get it there,as Phil would say"it probably isn't just one thing but maybe a few tiny adjustments"

My round is next up on June 1, depending on when the cars arrive I'll start with a timed shake down to check on the cars and get some impressions on how they all run. I have a family function in Port Augusta next weekend so I expect things will kick off on Tuesday week. I'll start anew thread later this week once I've finalised the program.
Looking forward to the coming race week.
regards
Alan

Alan,can you PM me with your postal address

View Postcharlesx, on 19 May 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

Congrats to podiumites. Good to see Slo1quick and Biedmatt back near to top of the leader board too.

Great job also by the organisers. A very efficient and timely job of both actual round and results.

Not so sure about the comments on Solabotic motor however. Old23, Slo1quick and Stubbo all ran these and they were 3rd, 5th and 6th. Most of the Solabotic users had the same gearing as well (3:1) and tyres. Perhaps more the general handling.

For my own car it went from 9th to 12th to 19th so that was a bit disappointing but that is racing.

Like SlotsNZ I would be very appreciative of any tips that can be given to help with performance improvement.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Hi Chas,during practice and qualifying I thought your car was going to be up there,i couldn't see any apparent reason why it finished where it did,when I totalled the laps up at the end I was surprised to see the car finish where it did,but,in the case of the solarbotics,there was a big difference between 1 set up and the other,some had too much brakes,some none,or little brakes,this made driving the cars from 1 bracket to the next,difficult.

I thought the grip was good(much better than mine)straight line speed was okay,but the handling,and the unsure brake points,made it a little harder to push than the others.

Don't know about 2014 regs,obviously too early for that,but if we go for a spec motor(VRAA are specifying BWA),then a lot of these issues will be resolved.

Hope that gives you a rough idea of your cars performance.

Terry

Edited by terry, 19 May 2013 - 05:49 PM.

#33 lenny broke

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:54 PM

Hi Terry
PM sent
Alan

#34 charlesx

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:56 PM

Hi Terry,

Thanks very much for the comments. Will be interesting to see how my Cooper goes on last two tracks.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

#35 alexis in greece

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:07 PM

Thanks Terry and team for the round.Well done to all podiumites.
Posted Image

#36 terry

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:31 PM

I'll be posting the cars away tomorrow morning,just a little thing,2 cars needed some attention after Saturdays race,Mivesons Lotus needed the body post reglued,and GT6's honda,the chassis rail had come adrift where it meets the front plate so I re soldered that. No dramas,

Terry

#37 terry

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:06 AM

Cars were posted yesterday afternoon,they should be in SA by Friday,possibly (most likely) Monday,over to you Lenny!

Terry

#38 lenny broke

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:31 AM

Thanks Terry
I'll start a new thread for round 5 when the cars get here. There has been some improvements at the Semaphore Park circuit for this years Tasman round. Look out for the new state of the art pit facility. To bring the track in line with current track safety thinking we've replaced the earth bank at the end of the main straight with armco fence and have placed haybales on the inside of turn 1.

looking forward to Tasman week.
Cheers
Alan

#39 kalbfellp

Formula 1 Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,856 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:53 AM

How about some pics of the new safety improvements,Alan?

#40 lenny broke

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

We're still working on them Phil, we don't rush things round here ya know !. :huh:

Edited by lenny broke, 22 May 2013 - 12:08 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users