Tasman Cup Round 2 Shelmore Park

kalbfellp

Fieldlineup_zps2530e60a.jpg

The cars have arrived at Shelmore Park for Round 2 of the Tasman Cup Proxy.

All the cars had a check over and a couple of laps so I could ensure all is well,ready for the qualifying over the weekend before the main event next week.

Edited by kalbfellp

I thought a few new pics of Shelmore track would be nice to remind everyone what it is like.

View from the drivers area

TrackDriversview_zps7bceafbe.jpg

Trackintostraight_zps698663e0.jpg

Entry onto the back straight and the down hill section, that leads into the tight Station Hairpin.

Stationcorner_zps2e34aba8.jpg

Qualifying for Round 2 of the Tasman Cup was completed yesterday.

ShelmoreQualifying_zps0e765724.jpg

Old 23 car is very fast BUT very hard to drive as it has no brakes so tend to fall off at the end of the straight!

Mike Newns Fergy has some issues with tight front wheel and stiff rear axle,on the bench to see what can be done.

Biedmatts Ferrari is lacking grip so I will giv the tyres a light sand and see if that will improve the grip before race night.

Stu,s Brabham wants to tail out under brakes very easy. Most of the rest are good, Ferrari 1950,s car will be a good race car as it is easy to drive.

The PPL chassied cars are performing well and shows that a simple "Origami" chassis suits that class of car well.

A great field of car again this year,BUT lets see some more Aussie and NZ builds next year.

Race night is Tuesday.

Round two was completed last night.

It is now 1.30 Am so I will just post the results and add notes later today.

Well dome Mike and Alan.

Results_zps28b76a93.jpg

Matts Ferrari tyres have no grip at all,Alexis is not much better.

I have tried all sorts during the afternoon before the event. Nothing seemed to improve the grip. One side seems to have less grip than the other. We ended up sanding the tyres lighty between heats just so the guys could get the car around the track.

IMO time for some other tyres.

Haystack took some great notes during the night so I will type them up ASAP and post later today.

Thanks for the round Phil.

Congratulations to the podium getters,I'm quite happy with my Ferraris' finish,its been a while since my F1 car has been up there and now I can start to see where the previous cars were lacking,nice to get the rounds done quickly as it keeps the interest up.

Thanks again to our organisers for getting this proxy going and for their enthusiasm,

Terry

Well done Mike, Alan and Phil.

Thanks all the drivers and helpers and to Phil on a well run round.

Didnt notice that Matts or Alexis tyres were particularly bad last round. Stubbo is away for a week, I'll follow it up if we dont here from him in the next day or so.

Thanks for a great round organisers and congrats to podiumites.

Look forward to Haystacks comments on performance of individual cars when time permits.

Interested to hear if my Cooper in particular is still prone to tipping.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Thanks Phil for all the info and for running the round.

Well done Mike on the win and to Phil for third. I am a happy chappy with second.

I also didn't think that Matts and Alexis tyres were that bad.

If they haven't already done so I will contact them and see if they want a tyre change.

Looks as though Bruce has improved his driving heaps. When we last saw him he had to use a hand controller!!!!!

I just noticed elsewhere the the tyre issue has been attended to. Thanks Phil.

Edited by Stubbo

Alan Stubbings

Looks as though Bruce has improved his driving heaps. When we last saw him he had to use a hand controller!!!!!

When I see you, we need to have a chat about tasmanians using mind control in slot racing. Not only has it not been sanctioned by the ISRA, but how can we be sure they are not using it to gain some unfair advantage.... xslotx.gif

No idea why they won't use Stig for a lane, he would HAVE to be their best driver. the-stig-the-stig-2565723-100-67.jpg

thanks for a well run round anyway Phil f1%20car.gif

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Hi Haystack and Phil.

Thanks for comments on cars. Clearly my Lotus 18/21 is a bit of a disaster so my fault for rush job to try and fill out entry. After all that we seem to have still ended up 4 short of maximum field.

Have to wonder whether it is use of Scaly chassis clipped into what is left of body after my extensive re-modelling job (instead of more usual screw mount). Sounds like it is back to the drawing board. Already have some ideas.

Not quite sure what is meant with my Cooper Climax comments "Not far off, does not flow right but good". Is this gearing perhaps - 8:24 currently. Had meant to try 8:25 bit did not get around to it. Car at home ran very smoothly. Take it traction not a problem.

Send me a personal message if you want. I can see an extensive testing programme being undertaken once cars get home. Offset gears to lower centre of gravity would seem like a good starting point.

Enjoying reading about series to date. Keep up the good work.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

I am not sure either Charles,I was not driving,BUT gearing should be right for that motor. BUT because of the very low torque these motor require that the drive train is very free,fromwhat I can remember your actually had some brakes. Rear tyres may be a little to high. I will make more notes next week.

When I see you, we need to have a chat about tasmanians using mind control in slot racing. Not only has it not been sanctioned by the ISRA, but how can we be sure they are not using it to gain some unfair advantage.... xslotx.gif

No idea why they won't use Stig for a lane, he would HAVE to be their best driver. the-stig-the-stig-2565723-100-67.jpg

Not quite...Bruce is no Jedi Master, though he was just 'getting in the zone' during the pre-race warmup and familiarization run. :D

Chris

H.M.C.C

Mark,did you realise that Marcos is a Tasmanian?

Terry

Thanks for the comments Phil. By my standard gear mesh is very good unless car has sustained damage to rear end which I doubt.

I too thought it braked reasonably well. Did notice it appeared to keep winding up however even on fast track which is why I questioned gearing.

Did not try to grind down tyres too much as was not sure how much tyres would wear. As stated however car could do with offset gear which would lower COG. Think it has over 4mm ground clearance before I ground tyres.

Any further advice you can provide would be much appreciated.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Down on power

Are we saying that the motor could do with a bit more omph?

Uncertain, Mark. The guys thought it was tractable out of the corners, but lacked that something to run with the big dogs. Motor... or gearing....? May work for you on a tighter/shorter track?!?

Chris

H.M.C.C

Most of the better cars have tyres almost right on the limit, also clearance is about the legal limit.

These cars have little torque so clearance on the gears needs a little more than normal. Rear axle should spin very freely with out the motor fitted.

You would have to put THAT photo up Phil! now the secret is out. My next trick is to operate the cars from an adjoining room. Comments have given me a good laugh.............

Just an observation about performance........ there is a fair amount of difference in the cars depending on the radius of the corners - this is probably accentuated on a 4 lane track. Also the difference between the really good cars and the ones that are nearly there are in the fine details of the set up. In several cases I thought the front end set up of the "almost right" cars was not quite there - in terms of un-even ride height or the wheels being too far off the ground.

Anyway - it was an enjoyable night. And now I have studied a couple of particular cars in detail I am predicting an even more competitive Bass Strait Challenge in 2014 - watch out Stubbo and Stu!!!!

Anyway - it was an enjoyable night. And now I have studied a couple of particular cars in detail I am predicting an even more competitive Bass Strait Challenge in 2014 - watch out Stubbo and Stu!!!!

:unsure::blink: Oh no... not again.....!?