Tasman Cup 2013 Round 1 Southern Loop

Stubbo

Welcome to round 1.

Qualifying is done.

Matt will be pleased to see his car did better.

The key on this track is to stay in the slot.

Each car was driven for 10 laps. Some of the cars got quicker as they went so I would expect some improvement in the race.

Lim, the guide on your car touches the body in some corners and causes the body to lift.

Mike Akers, car had a broken mounting post which has now been fixed.

Round1Qualifying.jpg

Here is the field. More photo's on raceday. That will be Saturday afternoon.

IMG_5009.jpg

IMG_5010.jpg

Alan Stubbings

Did I see 2 and 9 twice????

Thought that was a no no not that it worries me.

Heaven forbid my Lotus with absolutely no prior running was faster than my Cooper which I thought I had reasonably sorted. Lotus must be improving as it was about 0.2 secs slower in shakedown. Next time perhaps I will bulid with my eyes shut.

Will be interesting to see how all cars go as the contest proceeds.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

New Plymouth, NZ

Well round 1 has been run and won.

Before I get to the results I just have a couple of bits of housekeeping to mention first.

It was pointed out that there were 2 number 9’s. Yes that is correct. My mistake. Hang me if you want, but it is what it is and really it doesn’t matter. For the entire day we did not get the cars mixed up once.

Just for the record the green and white Cooper of Lenny Broke will be referred to as #9 and the silver Porsche of RIR will be referred to as 9X. Now if there is anyone out there who is still confused please take a valium and call me in the morning.

We had a long day of racing today. There were four three minute heats for each car with Stu and I each driving 2 heats. Now at this time I want to mention a couple of people. Firstly thanks to Stu for the refreshments and sharing the driving duties. I also want to mention Brendan and Alan (not me, another Alan). These two guys are not slotties but a couple of local RC guys. They gave up their Saturday, came out to my place and just pitched and did whatever they could do to make sure the job got done. Thanks heaps guys.

Most of all thanks to all the competitors for joining the party and giving us the opportunity to play with your little treasures.

And here they are:

Billx

IMG_5011.jpg

IMG_5029.jpg

Mmmoose1

IMG_5012.jpg

IMG_5030.jpg

Phil Kalbfell

IMG_5014.jpg

IMG_5032.jpg

Lenny Broke

IMG_5015.jpg

IMG_5033.jpg

Newso

IMG_5016.jpg

IMG_5034.jpg

Mike Akers

IMG_5017.jpg

IMG_5035.jpg

Mnewns

IMG_5018.jpg

IMG_5036.jpg

Biedmatt

IMG_5019.jpg

IMG_5037.jpg

Miveson

IMG_5020.jpg

IMG_5038.jpg

SlotsNZ

IMG_5021.jpg

IMG_5039.jpg

Phils Grandkids

IMG_5022.jpg

IMG_5040.jpg

GT6

IMG_5023.jpg

IMG_5041.jpg

Charlesx

IMG_5024.jpg

IMG_5042.jpg

Alexis in Greece

IMG_5025.jpg

IMG_5043.jpg

Ferrari1950

IMG_5026.jpg

IMG_5044.jpg

Lim Chenglaw

IMG_5027.jpg

IMG_5045.jpg

RIR

IMG_5028.jpg

IMG_5046.jpg

Round 1 3rd placegetter Old23

IMG_5013.jpg

IMG_5031.jpg

Round 1 2nd placegetter Slo1quick

IMG_5061.jpg

IMG_5062.jpg

Round 1 Winner Stubbo

IMG_5047.jpg

IMG_5048.jpg

IMG_5054.jpg

The Brabhams really enjoyed their home track advantage.

Full results. I drove heats 1 and 3 and Stu drove heats 2 and 4.

SouthernLoopRound1.jpg

Ken’s car had a miserable qualifying but a quick trip to the local Bridgestone shop and the #6 was back in the game.

IMG_5057.jpg

IMG_5058.jpg

IMG_5060.jpg

If you want any particular info on your car please ask. Stu and I will be happy to provide whatever info we can. Stu has a long drive home but I am sure he will be able to respond as soon as he recharges his batteries.

Edited by Stubbo

Alan Stubbings

Thanks guy for running this event and all the pics of the cars. Look forward to seeing them later this week.

Well done guyson your home track. Also great finish for Old 23.

Ken’s car had a miserable qualifying but a quick trip to the local Bridgestone shop and the #6 was back in the game.

So have the tyres changed from the spec sheet?

Thanks for running the round boys,congratulations to the winners.

Some great looking cars here!

Terry

Hey Stubbo, love the Matich Brabhams,did you do any decals for these cars??

Edited by terry

Hi guys

It was a big day at the races yesty with a great bunch of cars to race! Thanks to you all for taking the time and effort to build and enter your cars! They are a lovely group of cars with some ecceptional builds amoungst them. Phil has done a stella job on both his Cooper Maserati and Lotus. They are typically Tassie in that they handle very well and are good solid runners and can run all day at a solid pace. Terry your Ferrari is a very nice build and good to drive, it seemed to lack the pace of some of the other cars but felt faster than the the times showed. Mark your car is not a bad little runner, might improve a bit as things bed in more.

Gotta say a big thanks to Stubbo, the real race director who does a bloody good job organising and articulating the running of the series. And a big thanks for taking the reigns in organising this round and too Alan and Brendon who worked tirelessly all day.

It seemed the solarbotics had their day taking out the top three spots. Congrats to Alan on a well deserved win and Old 23 on third.

Stewart, Marek, Ken and Matts cars are very nice builds so too Terrys ferrari and Phils Lotus is a favourite of mine. Well done guys!

Happy to make comments, just ask.

Phil, the spec sheet is still not finalised. At the time it was put up Alan still had not had confirmation on which car Ken was sending, we were half expecting we might see his pumkin and the spec sheet is based on that car from the VRAA. His car turned up with P Gage tyres is still running with P Gage tyres.

Thanks for the comments Stu. Just want to make sure no one cleans any urethane with shellite!

The Solarbotics are faster But the poor brakes seem to catch a lot of people out. Surprised to see the Vanski motors running well, they must be much stronger than the ones I got from him. Probably like the Solarbotics ant vary from batch to batch.

Shelmore Park is being prepared for the arrival of the cars.

Numbers were not an issue - just had to have a friendly dig.

Congrats to Stubbo, Slo1quick and Old23 for their podiums. Nothing like a good start.

Big thanks to all others involved including organisers, marshalls and other supporters.

See the Kiwis are racing as a block so will be interesting to see how they advance. A bit of a rear guard at present but somebody has to fill those positions.

Would be interested if you can feed anymore feedback Alan on my Cooper and Lotus.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

No shellite Phil just a damp cloth.

I didnt keep a written record of comments this year as it is very time consuming

Here are some more comments as I recall.

The Pole on pole Marek mobile is fast but had a tipping tendency. Very nice build.

Well done to Stew on 3rd, A very nice build and heaps of punch good grip one to watch out for! Ken very nice build, fast and easy to drive. This cars motor offset is in the order of 2-3mm ?? Will be interesting to see how the gears hold up. Matt, car seems a little off the pace still very nice to drive and another very nice build will improve as the series goes on I think, not going to mention Solarbotic. Scott has a bit of a front end hop going on under throttle, nice car. Same goes for Lim, guide gets caught on nose of car. Terry car is down on pace thought it might pick up some as the racing went on but not unfortunately, another very nice build. So too are Phils and his grand kids entries, very unique and great cars to drive. Love the Lotus 32B looks great circulating ! Mark (NZSlots) car is much faster and easier to drive this year, nice car. Mike Newns car is a handful with its binding and crooked front axle, Good looking car as it goes around. Alexis car is a smooth car, better to drive with better grip than last year. narrow track makes this car an easy tipper. Mark (Miveson) welcome to the party of scratchbuilding, car is a bit off the pace but not a bad runner, needs to run and loosen up a bit. Peter RIR good solid runner, easy to drive just a bit off the pace. Mike Akers, something familiar about this car just keeps on keeping on, good runner. Lenny good car just couldnt get it to hookup, another track might be a different story. Charles good runners, I found Lotus is easier to drive than the Cooper due to its slower cornering speed, long braids on the Lotus caused some power shorting issues so trimmed the braid vbglossarlink.gif back 3mm or so to stop this. Stubbo, you have this car well sorted, its a bullet and well planted. Had two offs with this one in my first heat yet still managed to cover good distance. #3 What can I say, unpredictable but watch out for it if you see it in your mirrors.

Stubbo will get the cars off to you tomorrow Phil.

Edited by slo1quick

Thanks for the comments Slo1quick. Mention has been made of Solabotic and Dr Van motors but what about MRRC, BWA and SRP. How do these compare speed and acceleration wise. Is difference handling, straight line speed or a combination? Noticed also some cars using Dart tyres. I had some of these and PG but elected to use latter. Any comments on tyres please.

Love the photos.

Looking forward to rest of series.Thanks for trimming braids on Lotus. Probably would have done myself if I had had time.

Have asked before but what happened to other 4 entries? I presume they just did not turn up.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Charles I have compared all the above motors.

BWA are very consistent in performance all I have from several batches are all around 15,000 revs

Vanski,s seem to vary from batch to batch, I have ones with 5 different markings. They vary from 15,000 to 16,200. I think they are originally spares for X box,s.

SRP (MRRC) 16,000 now out of production. I brought 18 for our club class and some proxy cars all that I tested range from 15,900 to 16,800. But seem to have a bit more torque than the above and will run 9:23 for a bit more top end.

Solarbotics: These vary a lot from batch to batch. First batch I got were all around 21,000. Stu send me some down to test these were just over 22,000. Second batch I brought are all 22,500 to 22,700. Latest batch are a little slower all around 21600 to 22,800.

But they have very poor brakes and lower torque and require around 8:24,but still catch some drivers out with the lack of brakes.

We have a club series for these cars starting this week and only 3 of us are using the Soarbotics, everyone else has opted for the SRP.

Thanks Phil for explanation of motors. Sounds like I might have geared my Lotus wrong at 8:25 as it has MRRC/SRP motor. Cooper is 8:24 with Solabotic so perhaps OK. I did leave Lotus rear tyres a bit bigger however so perhaps this will compensate.

Unfortunately I never got chance to compared performance of 2 cars as intended but this could have been telling. All part of the learning process.

I bought my 2 Solabotics motors from Munter but local MRRC agent still appears to have reasonable supply of SRP.

Looking forward to Tassie tracks. Looks like your grandkids car is giving yours a run for the money.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Solarbotics: These vary a lot from batch to batch. First batch I got were all around 21,000. Stu send me some down to test these were just over 22,000. Second batch I brought are all 22,500 to 22,700. Latest batch are a little slower all around 21600 to 22,800.

But they have very poor brakes and lower torque and require around 8:24,but still catch some drivers out with the lack of brakes.

We have a club series for these cars starting this week and only 3 of us are using the Soarbotics, everyone else has opted for the SRP.

Yeah. mine was from a batch Munter bought, and was a smidgeon over 21K at 12 volts. I think I geared it even lower something like 9:30 or 8:27 ie 3.3:1 to give it more brakes so easier for strangers to drive with little time to get familiar before each heat. Will have cost me a little top end, but hey... just glad not to be employed as tail gunner right now....

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Thanks to Alan and Stu for putting on a well run round and also thanks to your helpers too, maybe a couple of converts out of the days activities.

Well done to the the local lads for their result on home ground and to Old 23 for keeping them honest in 3rd.

I'm reasonably happy with my cars result, finishing higher than it qualified. I'm intereseted in Stu's comment that my car didn't hook up, I'm guessing this relates to tyre grip. I'm using D'Art eurathanes, which had really good grip on my track during testing but seemed to have deteriated over the months since purchasing. I note Phil's comments about not cleaninig Erathanes with shellite and suspect that may be a factor as I was using this product to clean my tyres during preparation. Also having left the car out in the shed for a week during some hot weather while I was away in March may not have hepled either.

I'm also thinking that my choice of gearing wasn't the best decision either as I think the 2.4:1 ratio using a 10t pinion was a bit much for the BWA motor to pull on the shorter tracks.

It is what it is now and has been a good learning process in setting up these type of cars.

I've already started thinking about next years car based on what I've learned thus far.

Looking forward to the reat of the series and particulaly my round in late May.

And thanks again fella's

Cheers Alan, yep another one

Edited by lenny broke

I'm reasonably happy with my cars result, finishing higher than it qualified. I'm intereseted in Stu's comment that my car didn't hook up, I'm guessing this relates to tyre grip. I'm using D'Art eurathanes, which had really good grip on my track during testing but seemed to have deteriated over the months since purchasing. I note Phil's comments about not cleaninig Erathanes with shellite and suspect that may be a factor as I was using this product to clean my tyres during preparation. Also having left the car out in the shed for a week during some hot weather while I was away in March may not have hepled either.

I'm also thinking that my choice of gearing wasn't the best decision either as I think the 2.4:1 ratio using a 10t pinion was a bit much for the BWA motor to pull on the shorter tracks.

Hooking up is probably a poor choice of words on my part Alan. I just couldnt get it do better than mid 3 seconds/lap without it coming off. A combination of a few different things I think. Now that you mention it, the 10:24 gearing might be a bit high even for the torque of the srp, coupled with the extra weight of the donut tyres, its all going to put more length on the mechanical advantage your wheels have over your motor. Rubber is heavier than aluminium and the donuts, which you have, have more rubber than ribbed tyres, hence more weight on the perimeter of a wheel adding even more mechanical leverage, I think. Given that these motors are not very powerful, even the standard scalex motor would eat them, they need every possible assistance they can get, I think anyway. I also think that running as low a centre of gravity as possible can be advantageous when cornering, although I think there are some who are able to use this to an advantage and are clever enough to know how much balance between grip and slide is enough. Im not so clever so I always go for lower, and for that I need to use an offset gear. Even with the 1mm offset gear the underside of a motor is still 3.2 mm ( if parallel to the track) at minimum wheel diameter of 20.3..or so. Check out the offset Ken is running this year, it pushes the boundaries of factory spec to the exteme I think. If he gets away with it, why not !? His track clearance is in the order of 2mm max to the motor. Im sure Ken has done the sums and he know this is not an endurance series so he is one guy who is brave enough to take the gamble. If it holds together then that is something I will be taking advantage off in my next build! The point being, in his chassis set up, he has lowered the COG of his car to the extreme. There is not much between coming 3rd or 10th or 1st and 10th really so IMO any gain is a step up the ladder, no matter how miniscule, so to speak.

Marek has a gem of an entry, super fast and it is a credit to him to see just how well one can set up a P/Pitlane chassis. While in practice one had the freedom to drive it kamekaze style, it was hard to tame on Southern Loop under race conditions and still bring home a good result for him. I think it would have been different if he was running the same chassis in an offset situation. ?

Grip is another story, ..bloody grip! Tyres aint tyres is as true as "oil aint oil" Give me a good set of tyres and I'll well and truely bugger them up Im sure. I actually put some effort into trying to get mine to work abit better. I used wet wet and dry down to 2500 grit, And it took forever to get nowhere ....probably.

I think tyres are key to the performance of a car, IF, the car has been set up well, a couple cars had, I think too much grip but then they were running at a fast pace.

So, there is a bit in it when I refer to "hook up" Some of it is grip, some of it is motor, ecceleration, braking, balance, smoothness and driver. Its hard to pin point just one thing. Having said that the #9 car was nice to drive, down on pace, nice to drive. Another track, another story.

Fickle business this proxy caper.

On a side note I just want to make excuse as to why the Brabhams have not got a new chassis but I dont have one.. other than catchin up on work after the 2 wettest winters on record since Abraham, the sun has been finally shining, so I had other chit to do.

Besides the old dogs aint gone to sleep yet. Thanks Stubbo, another Alan. :)

Cool cars and a great read too, thanks guy for the info.

I'm 1/2 way thru building my own car ready for this event next year.

I do have one question about tires for these cars.

Is there any real reason why MJK tires arn't used?

Keep it up guys, its a great series.

Dave.

Edited by drw21

Hi Dave,

I have tested a few brands. MJK, Paul Gage, Dart, and a couple of others. Out of those Gage tyres worked best on our tracks. This year there are cars with Tassie tyres and they seem to be very good.

I have not tried Ortmans or Penelope Pitlane tyres. Maybe someone else has some info or comparisons on them.

Alan Stubbings

Dave the MJK narrow tyres that I tested we're too hard.

I have tested most of them.

PG and Tassie are rge best of the Eurethanes IMO. I could not get Ortmans to work well on most Tracks, even in the US.

PPL rubber are also very good and perform about the same on most tacks as the two good eurethanes.