16 replies to this topic

#1 charlesx

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:32 PM

Hi Stubbo and Slo1quick.

Thought these comments might be of interest. Jumping the gun a bit but you need to look ahead.

See original comment and my response.

"I'd love the Tasman series to have a round in Napier and a round in Auckland if it was up to me. Maybe there could be 2 Tasman series?"

Response

"Napier and New Plymouth were due to have rounds of the Tasman Cup this year but they got cancelled as some of the cars were required by about July/August for the VRAA competition.

Hence only 6 rounds this year between April and early July or something like that. Racing due to start very soon.

If the organisers were happy to slightly change format however why not emulate actual original Tasman Series and say have 4-5 events in each country.

As you will be aware I built 2 cars for this years series in the end. (last was a real rush job to fill gap that opened at last minute) plus we have Munter and Mark Burgess with cars so with the likes of yourself we are well positioned to push for change. Entries are normally limited to 24 with many from Canada/USA and possibly Europe and Malaysia. I think the success of the Canam series plus a number of competitors who race or have raced in both events should give us considerable Brownie points."

Regards

Chas Le Breton
New Plymouth
New Zealand

Edited by charlesx, 07 April 2013 - 07:42 PM.

#2 Stubbo

Classic Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:58 PM

View Postcharlesx, on 07 April 2013 - 07:32 PM, said:

Hi Stubbo and Slo1quick.

Jumping the gun a bit...

No argument here.

This years series is yet to start and there will be plenty for us to do for the next few months, so I think it is way too premature to open any discussion about next years series.

We will see how this year goes and if, after the series is finished, Stu and I feel that we may need to change things then we will look at it then, but not before.

Regards
Alan Stubbings

#3 kalbfellp

Formula 1 Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,856 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:31 AM

Charles When the Tasman series finishes this year I will have 6 or 7 cars sitting here idle, as I will be building a new car for the VRAA.
Why not try and organize a few NZ races for this year. This would help raise some more local interest and give a few tracks the chance to drive and have a look at these cars first hand.I an sure others have cars sitting around that could be entered.

Edited by kalbfellp, 08 April 2013 - 12:32 AM.

#4 charlesx

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

Hi Alan and Phil.

Just responding to what I thought was a worthwhile suggestion but agree we need to get current series through first.

Most interesting though Phil that there are likely to be so many cars around so perhaps bodes well for future.

Perhaps I should be putting my thoughts into building a car for VRAA but no idea where even the rules are. No doubt some kind person will soon tell me all I need to know.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

#5 charlesx

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:43 PM

Off topic but have found VRAA rules. Note that closing date has been put back to 1/10/2013 so we finished Tasman Cup early for no reason in hindsight.

Motor appears to be limited to BWA FF050. Just happens I have one.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

#6 kalbfellp

Formula 1 Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,856 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:26 PM

Plenty of BWA FF050,s down here if you or anyone needs one.

#7 chenglaw

Retro Racing Nut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:37 AM

Just a fanciful thought and putting in my penny's worth. Why not have a World Series with the cars racing first in the VRAA in both US and Canada, then over to Oz for the Tasman followed by NZ. Allow for a "rejuvenation break" between the cars finishing the VRAA and re-starting in the Tasman to give entrants a chance to service, repair or refurbish their cars - just like the August break in the real F1 world. This will give those whose cars which were not very competitive in the first half of the series a chance to upgrade their cars (new motor, new tyres, chassis mods, bodyshell repair, etc) and rejoin the competition in a rejuvenated state. The only stipulation being that it must be the same car which started in the series, i.e. you can't enter a Ferrari 156 in the first half and then switch to a Lotus 33 for the second half. And apart from that, it won't be much different from what is happening now. Just needs some careful planning and scheduling to give people a chance to get their cars back, regroup and get back into competition mode. This could easily turn into a year-long proxy event judging from the way how everyone wants to get into the act! And the winner gets the official title (sic) of WORLD 1/32 HALF TONNER CHAMPION. The headache will come when and if UK and Europe want to be part of the series. But that's another story........

Edited by chenglaw, 09 April 2013 - 01:47 AM.

Lim

I enjoy racing. Winning or losing is secondary.

#8 Stubbo

Classic Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:08 AM

The 2013 series starts this weekend if anyone is interested!

Edited by Stubbo, 09 April 2013 - 07:19 AM.

Alan Stubbings

#9 kalbfellp

Formula 1 Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,856 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:33 AM

Lim the original concept of Stubbo/ Stu series was to have a short quick series, something we tend to do well down under! That way interest is maintained.
Also now like the original Tasman Series we are using bigger motors!
There could always be a points system used there the two or 3 proxys could be combined IF the Tasman Rules change for NEXT year.
All food for thought AFTER this series.

#10 chenglaw

Retro Racing Nut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:27 AM

Yeah, let's get the Tasman underway and see how everyone's mood is when it's over. More of the same or more of more?! :unsure:
Lim

I enjoy racing. Winning or losing is secondary.

#11 lenny broke

7th runner up 1978 South Australian Womp Championship

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

"The 2013 series starts this weekend if anyone is interested!"

I am Alan, looking forward to the start of proceedings Posted Image

#12 rsclio

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:32 AM

Watching intently guys
Cheers
Mike

Diamo Stages

#13 kalbfellp

Formula 1 Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,856 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

Mike time you built a car for this event! Maybe even two.

#14 Stubbo

Classic Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:56 PM

View Postkalbfellp, on 09 April 2013 - 04:49 PM, said:

I reckon Matt should build the car, seems like he does a better job than his dad.

And whilst on the subject Phil I reckon you should let your Grandkids build all your cars!
Alan Stubbings

#15 kalbfellp

Formula 1 Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,856 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:10 PM

The Cooper Maserati is a recycled VRAA car!
I think these cars we build for others get more running so perform better than the builders cars because we run out of time for our cars!
Maybe I should have loaned Callan the Cooper for the Bass Straight challenge as it is faster then his Honda.

#16 charlesx

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:53 PM

Hi Alan (Stubbo).

Sorry if my first post took a little away from the current event.That was certainly not my intention. I just thought the original writers message (actually on Canam thread) deserved wider coverage. Clearly we should wait for a more appropriate time after the finish of the 2013 Tasman Cup competition.

I am looking forward to this event at least as much as you Alan I can asure all involved. Now that VRAA start has been delayed until October 2013 I am seriously thinking of building another car. The VRAA posts I found were a real inspiration.

Having built two cars I feel extra ideas developing. Perhaps it could be third time lucky for a decent paint job as I was less than happy with my first two efforts.

The latter aside I therefore consider this post closed until late 2013.

Regards

Chas Le Breton
New Plymouth
New Zealand

Edited by charlesx, 09 April 2013 - 07:01 PM.

#17 rsclio

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:50 AM

View PostStubbo, on 09 April 2013 - 04:56 PM, said:

View Postkalbfellp, on 09 April 2013 - 04:49 PM, said:

I reckon Matt should build the car, seems like he does a better job than his dad.

And whilst on the subject Phil I reckon you should let your Grandkids build all your cars!
Boom Tisch!!! :huh: - he beating me again in the WRP proxy- I may have to withdraw funds from events I want to enter.
Thanks for the vote of confidence Al!
My plate was stacked a little high for proxy cars due in March this year I intend to have a Tasman car ready by the latter part of this year.
I think your was too Phil as you bowed out of the NA Gp5 and I bowed out on this one.
Cheers
Mike

Diamo Stages

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users