Slot.It N18 Tyre - 1207 Mould

ART

NEW N18 extra soft rubber tyres from Slot.it

PT1207N18_EN.jpg

This is both a new compound, AND a new mould, so I was interested to see what they were like

TEST ON SMOOTH WOOD SURFACE - gloss clear floated over acrylic.

I set up a pair of these on PA38 hubs (16.5mm as found on the newer Group C cars). The first thing I noticed is that these tyres are "squishy soft" noticeably softer than the N22.

Trued dimensions were 20.42 x 9.5 on rim.

They went on quite "straight", so I didn't have to remove much material, and I took only JUST enough off them to get full surface contact.

The next thing I noticed is that the new mould from Slot.it in which these were produced, is a low profile mould, with a smaller inside diameter, so they fit quite firmly even on this mid-sized hub. Slot.it are saying that even with this soft compound, gluing to the 16.5 and 17.2 hubs is optional. I ran them some laps and they appeared "quieter" and worked quite well, no fuss, but the car was 1 or 2 10ths a lap slower than usual. Which is pretty good, given the gains we get through "glue and true" locally. They were definitely a little quicker on that Porsche than non-glued N22 tyres.

(It is usually run with glued and trued, treated N22 on 15.8 hubs, which if anything, are larger O.D. than these low profile 1207 mould tyres on 16.5mm hubs)

Next I glued and trued them, working slowly to avoid tearing the soft rubber. They showed slightly more tendency to scuff up, but were still fairly easy to work with. No special technique required. Back on the car I now obtained almost identical lap times. Gearing was slightly lower, due to their smaller O.D. but after adjusting mentally for this in my driving style, you could throw a towel over the lap times of both sets of rubber.

I DID feel they heated up a little, and lap times seemed to roll from best laps off slower after cleaning on sticky tape than the N22 and NSR Super-grips.

They seem quieter on the hub with no tendency towards shudder or sudden slide.

I suspect their best use is going to be on the lower grip, smoother plastic tracks. Artin, Carrera, and maybe whichever version of Scalex/SCX track is the smoother one. - I forget if it is classic or sport as we don't have any of these to test on.

Note: Cheaper super-glues seem to affect and degrade this soft rubber. I am looking for a good solution, and will advise a safe compound.

I have spoken to Maurizio about good glues to use with these tyres; as I "ate" a total of 5 tyres using/testing with some super-glues available in our local market, and could even watch them split on hubs before my eyes, as the rubber reacted with the glue.

However as Slot.it are working with unglued tyres, and mostly hand-out situations for major events; so he hadn't done any testing with glues.

Over this weekend I am going to try gluing with a low volitiles, slow set (10 minutes to tack), contact adhesive.

And remember, this is just one test, one car, one surface.....

Oi . . . drag, I don't do drag.... I look terrible in drag.

This is about the nearest I get.

thepunks.jpg

ART is the Auslot Review Team . . . . they have set up a review team/system, so reviews of cars, controllers, parts etc, can all be done and approved under ART.

Meanwhile, be afraid, be very afraid, "The Punks" could crash your party any time, any day without warning. They come with a fair wad of biffo pre-installed.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

ART is the Auslot Review Team . . . . they have set up a review team/system, so reviews of cars, controllers, parts etc, can all be done and approved under ART.

So who are the team members?

and approved

What does this mean?

Maybe a thread that introduces this idea to the members would have been a good idea first.

Do we really need this sort of thing?

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

Mark, I'm scarier than either of those two punks.

Ok... To ART. Auslot is severely lagging behind other fora in the product review realm. Some will not see this as a problem, however when it comes to attracting new members to the community and discussion it is. The Auslot community has a different take to other fora because it is largely routed wooden track based. It is appropriate to make use of this uniqueness.

The reason for the review account was for continuity of voice as much as anything else. And the approval of review submissions is an editorial requirement more about checking language rather than Big Brother watching or being careful about offending manufacturers.

Blame me for the idea if you wish. I had not expected people to be so paranoid.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

gazza might be upset. Ha sn't he taken out some kind of patent pending on paranoid :lol: :lol:

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

The fact that you're not paranoid doesn't mean we're not out to get you...

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

And the approval of review submissions is an editorial requirement more about checking language rather than Big Brother watching or being careful about offending manufacturers.

Fair enough, but this should have been out there rather than sneak it in in a tire review comparison.

So again who is it on the team?

John Warren

Don't know yet. Not me, that's for sure. Still under consideration. Feel free to make suggestions or submissions even.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

It matters....transparency, clarity, openness....they all matter dont they?

The forum is for all members not a just a few.

I actualy enjoy reading badly written, misspelled, oddly formed threads and posts.

Why all the PC stuff eh? Do we need more rules?

John Warren

Who said anything about being politically correct?

Sigh. Remind me never to suggest redecorating.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

I read some members posts more carefully than others because I know who I 'trust' most on this forum. Everyone has their favorite posters. I like product reviews. I like any good content. But I like knowing who wrote what. The problem I have is that most my favorite posters hardly ever post!

Podiums are for short people.

Munter,

I think you may be missing the point, the review team is only focusing on reviews, the other posts, topics etc will remain the same.

The general idea is to boost the number of reviews that are published, compared to other forums there have been previously very few reviews posted. I'm sure the team will be using whatever means available to try and increase the number of reviews.

This may make the forum even more attractive to users.

I think you may be missing the point,

I often do....

the review team
there it is again....who is the review team?

Open, transparent, clear ?....come on moderators and super moderators you must know.

John Warren

So it's as simple as knowing who is on the review team (seem like a fair enough question to me) - one which I cannot answer.

I like the idea but as ever I'd like reviews to be objective and relevant with commercial relationships set aside If a review highlights a product as good, bad or ugly then it should remain that way. Of course I'm telling the team to suck eggs.

Whilst not meaning to promote others, the reviews on slot car outhouse are very, very objective, a perfect example of where any review should be. Boiled, fried or sunny side up?

Edited by miveson