The Lost Tracks...

axman

Here's another fibreglass track I installed... I think around 1990... There's a few familiar and much younger faces in the crowd..

Fibreglass loves being a compound shape. What made the bank special on these tracks is I could finally achieve a shape called an elliptic paraboloid.. That is the corner is curved in two planes.. sort of like the shape of a bowl... something just not possible with normal construction using a single layer of MDF or ply. I thought this would be the holy grail of banked corners.. . After much grief making the mould I finally managed to get the entry of the bank to this shape but found it was only marginally better on the inside lanes where the transition from straight to banked turn takes place and certainly was'nt worth all the extra work from a car performance point of view. I also found a downside of Fibreglass is that it just does'nt like sitting flat enough for long straights as its hard to keep the joins smooth. On a positive note for fibreglass I remember having the yellow track (in post #125) at the Sanctuary Cove Boat show... out in the open. We would come back in the morning with the track wet from last nights rain, chamois it down, plug in the laptop and start selling track time. Cant do that with a timber track!

7HgMiiX.jpg

I think these tracks would have worked well for scale racing. Wonder where they are now...

Edited by axman

Hmm.. you're right Garry. The blue track is about 1990 with a C64, the yellow promotion track a few years later and started out with a C64 but got a Laptop later on when I sold it. The laptop was ideal for the promotion tracks as I did'nt need external power. It was the same P.C. version as Barry had at Annerley and the same as the one my son Heath is operating here at a fete around 1996. All the tracks I sent overseas had the same setup. (box under the track for switching and timing - computer really just there to display and enter info).

mHqL7VD.jpg

Edited by axman
  • Upvote 1

I think the last track at Moonee was another modified AMF Royal 95. We made a King track out of ours.. Ray simply added a few straights to his and no bank the last time I saw it. By that stage the old Moonee Track had gone to South Australia..

I raced on it when I was up in bendigo, first it was out at kangaroo flats, he then moved it into town across from the train station, last time for me was a 12 hour, it was pretty tired then.

After it shut down he went prospecting for gold. :)

Edited by espsix

Go for it Old Quikslotter.. If you've got the time, space and desire... build your own. These days of predominantly flat tracks make it a very do-able home project you can get immense satisfaction from. If you've got a few mates and are looking to get a club going even more reason.

Pretty good plan old Quikslotter.. I agree with your " hammerhead" idea. stick it at the end of the main straight and get the exit parallel to the main straight like Garry J 's Birkdale track. That will give you more options for the exit out of the deadman to get some interesting " eases" happening where traditionally "the finger" is.

• 2 weeks later...