Sign in to follow this  
32coupe

What To Clean Magnabraid With

As the heading says, what do you use to clean up your braid on your track?

Mine is starting to get a bit of build up on it and needs a good clean.

thanks

Andrew

A man without a woman is like a neck without a pain.

A rag with shellite or fuelite on it.

That's how we clean the oils of braid before we first lay it.

Just don't over-soak the rag, as you don't want fuelite degrading the double sided tape or glue you used to stick it down.

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self
 My Track Oakland Raceway V2     Our Club  HMBRC     

I've always advocated the 2 rags method. Wipe with a shellite rag, followed by a dry rag. I find this method picks up more dirt, instead of just moving it around, and helps keep the shellite away from the braid glue.

I've never been a fan of letting a track "rubber up" but it happens so I've been asking around about how to remove the buildup. The guys at Hornsby recommend turps but I thought it's a bit oily and maybe not good for glue.

Anyone have a better suggestion?

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

I like to use a automotive spray contact cleaner on my bread.. Spray some on a rag and wrap the cloth around your finger and wipe the braid down..

Chris Briggs

Anyone have a better suggestion?

Dunno if it's better, but we have had good results with "Ajax, Professional, Ultra Bathroom' cleaner.

Use it sparingly, and wear gloves.

It says it's corrosive on the label, but we didn't have any dramas with our braid.

Steve K.

Nah Rick, not "any solvent". Too many of the petro cuts out there will harm some paint surfaces.

Meths is unsafe on some acrylic surfaces, okay on others. Brush cleaners eat most everything, as do xylene and acetone (which I think are the two solvents usually mixed alone or together with IPA to make brush and roller cleaners.Not sure about IPA itself off hand.

Turps needs testing on an invisible surface of the paint. It may react with some older solvent based paints.

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self
 My Track Oakland Raceway V2     Our Club  HMBRC     

Thanks guys, I'll have to go out to the shed and try a few of the bottles of stuff I already have now.

CHeers

Andrew

A man without a woman is like a neck without a pain.