3D Printers

waytofast

hi all,

has anybody seen a 3D printer in action.

i just heard about them and checked them out on youtube.

they can produce amazing items with excellent detail.

what i dont understand is how do scan an object to get a 3D model.

the possibilities for scale modelling are endless.

any information on this technology would be much appreciated.

cheers, steve

Hi Steve

I to have read about 3D printers - in the US there is a place called Shapeways which will print you 3D designs

There are 3D scanners as well, but I think the more common thing to do is create your object in a 3D sculpting programme on the computer.

I know Marc at Immense Miniatures uses Shapeways for 3D printing - He sculpts a life size head (I think his wife is the sculptor) and then scans it with a 3D scanner and then resizes to scale and prints on a 3D printer, he then makes a mould off the 3D printed shape. His figures look great.

On the facebook page you can see one of the sculptures ready for scanning

https://www.facebook.com/Immense.Miniatures

http://dianahamanndesign.com/immense/products.html

cheers

David

Only the very high end printers give good resolution. For slot car bodies the master still needs hand finishing. Around $4000.00 will get you a basic low resolution printer. Scanners are another story still very expensive.

Shapeways will print from supplied CAD drawings at a reasonable price.

Another 10 years will probably see many modellers with these sitting on their benches.

Edited by kalbfellp

Then you can always go back to 2008 ......

http://www.auslot.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6357-scan-of-a-model-car-shell/page__p__65432__hl__printers__fromsearch__1#entry65432

This guy went MIA after getting everyone excited

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

For around the $2500 you can purchase a ready made 3d printer with a resolution of 100 microns. One of the most exciting things about 3d printers for me is that they are designed to be self replicating.

As for 3d scanning hackers have made great progress in using Microsofts Kinect sensor for this, what's more is that MS are releasing software/drivers to make it easier for the hacker community to achieve great results.

100 micron resolution is usually too low for what we would need for 1/32 slot cars.

most of these are based on the Rep Rap that have kits starting for a few hundred dollars.

Origin Laser sell a basic printer here in Australia for arounf $2000 I think that is based on the same Rep Rap format.

The best 100 micron printer kit is around $4000 for Veloso,he seems to have good results with the plastic he is using.

SOS Components in Queensland will do 3d printing with some very good printers that they have.

very basic scanners start around $4000 BUT a good one can run $40,000 plus!

I have seen several of the smaller units in action they are getting quit cheep and the resolution is not too bad and the complexity of the parts can be stunning (whistles with the pea inside shapes witihn shapse of differents colours and plastics etc.

The main issue that I see is getting the appropriate plastic/nylon to runin the machines. Most would be suitable for small parts but the stiffness/flexability/breaking loads thatthe plastics can handle would need to be carefull selected depending on what you are recreating assuming thart you can scan or modle the part you need.

regards

Ray

As Parnelli Jones the Indy 500 winner once said "If you are not out of control you are not going fast enough!"

2017 Plafit FLM Edurance Champion

Team Thunderbird

The other way of looking at these models is not the final model but a master model from which a silicone tool can be taken from. Guys like Phil and their casting skills can make great use of this method allowing for wide variety of poly urethane's to mimic production plastics/rubbers.

Regards

Rob

That is how Chase Cars is working. 3D modelling before 3D printing the prototype body for resin casting. His wallowing chassis is all printed though.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Here is a pic of a Shapeways 1/24 late model speedway chassis. Take off the brass and the little bit of white plastic and you have what they can do. That chassis is printed as one piece,no assembly at all,and comes out as smooth as it looks! Quality product! The guy that bought this one was blown away.

20130329073943.jpeg

www.sigmamansmodels.com

I am doing the training at the fab lab Adelaide next week for 3d printing and laser cut. I already have a chassis (to fit with slot it pod) and an SCX f1 wood guide to try out. I will let you know how it goes. I am still struggling to find the right body models on sketchup.