Gymkhana Themed Test Track

shadow_rusty

Started my first routed track on the weekend...

It's definately not the best, but it's certainly fun and a great learning experience...

It's quite small as I've just used a scap piece of particle board (approx 1.2m x 0.8m) as the base.

I've made it single lane as there is no way it could have ever been dual lane at that size.

I designed a track freehand, with lots of erasing...

Shadows%20First%20Routed%20Track%20-%2001.jpg

My initial thoughts were to make it a rally track.

I floated the idea of a dirt oval track with a grass infield, but my wife thought that would look funny with all of the loops through it...

The I had an idea of making it a asphalt oval and a concrete infield with cones everywhere in Gymkhana sytle...

Anyway, I'm not up to painting yet... In fact I've only routed about half of the track...

Here's how I have been routing the corners... Using a washing machine inlet pipe...

Shadows%20First%20Routed%20Track%20-%2002.jpg

Thanks DM... When I get that far I'll definately take a look...

Also, it's 75% routed now...

Shadows%20First%20Routed%20Track%20-%2003.jpg

Needs a fair bit of cleaning up yet...

have you seen the mexican airfield one, I reckon that kind of surround would be awesome for yours.

Edited by ZeGas

Saw that the other day...

That's a great track, and it was damn tempting to copy the donut section...

Reality is that my test track will be a better size for 1/43, but as it's a test, and to allow me to see how my cars handle on a 'race' surface, I don't care if it's a little out of scale...

• 1 month later...

Hi MIchael

Funny you should start this thread, I have a spare sheet that is 2.4 x 1.8 that is screeming for me to get the router out and play.

I need to work out where to store it and use it first, but I have a plan.

Looks like I'll have to pull my finger out now and get a move on.

Cheers

Andrew

A man without a woman is like a neck without a pain.

Ordered my copper tape last week, so now I need to pull out my finger and finish the routing...

Sorry Andrew, I must of missed your post...

You definately should make yourself a rally track out of that board... They are very fun and uniquely challenging...

Update on my project...

Finished the routing today...

Attached a long cable to the motor on a spare chassis, added about 70grams of lead, and ran a few laps...

Seems like it's going to be very fun once finished...

Plastered up a few holes / mistakes.

Found some 'pinkish/brown' and some 'light/lime green' suede paints in the shed...

So it look like I'm back to a dirt oval track with a grass infield look...

Really can't wait for the copper tape to arrive...

Repaired, re-routed and finished the slot on this track today...

Filled and sanded all the nail holes.

Here's what it now looks like...

Top view

Shadows%20First%20Routed%20Track%20-%2004.jpg

Angled view with car for scale

Shadows%20First%20Routed%20Track%20-%2005.jpg

Hopefully paint will go on tomorrow...

ps. still waiting for the damn copper tape...

You are going to have fun taping and wiring all those cross overs - :) I only have 2 and after my second go at wiring them I wish I hadn't put any in :( - my problem the first time was I didn't make the hole the right size so I had bumps from the wire - so I re-drilled and re-taped to remove the bumps

David

Edited by dangermouse

Yeah, it's going to be annoying...

On the plus side, as it's only 1 lane, 2 out of the 4 corners of each intersection can be joined...

• 2 weeks later...

It lives, it lives...

Doesn't it look so much better with copper on...

Shadows%20First%20Routed%20Track%20-%2006.jpg

A close up of how I did the crossovers / power up points.

Shadows%20First%20Routed%20Track%20-%2007.jpg

A view of the wiring 'fun' on the rear...

Shadows%20First%20Routed%20Track%20-%2008.jpg

The crossovers were quite easy in the end, and they all work quite well both ways. Well all bar 1 direction on 1 side of 1 crossover... Grrr...

All in all, it's a very fun track so far, and it doesn't even have any grip yet... Can't wait to paint this with my son now...

Edited by shadow_rusty

Quick question... If you are using Dulux Suede, do you roll or brush it on?

Mel (Ontheflipside) suggested brushing it on, I rolled the first coat with a sponge roller and then brushed the top coat. Brush in one direction. Once dried there will be a bit of a fine dust like finish on surface, I wiped over with a damp cloth a couple of times and this seems to have mostly gone.

Are you going to put masking tape over the copper or just try to be careful?

track will be a blast they are a bit hypnotic to run on but good fun all the same.

cheers

David

Edited by dangermouse

Mine's brushed on and done very much at random trying to bring more of the chalky look to the surface. But I did mine with a very very soft taklon paint brush so the brush strokes themselves don't show too much.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Thanks guys for the info...

You can paint over the copper, and wipe it straight off while the paint is wet...

Steve (Way2Fast) did this on his latest track and it worked quite well... Although, he used ferrodore...

So, now I need to find my 'half' decent brush...

Unlikely to be painting before next weekend, but damn is it a fun / addictive track already...

So the current list of to do's are...

1. Paint

2. Timing

3. Scenery - Cones / Trees / Possibly a shed basically anything I can make that suits for free or extremely cheap...

I remembered that the suede wiped of the copper when it was dry as well - I touched up a few spots on the short track and did that.

For timing - do you have a Smartphone? - there are a few apps for iOS and Android which will do timing - just need a little cradle to hold the phone.

DM

The reason for putting on the tape first is so that the paint can make up some of the thickness of the tape...

I've used the android app, but as there really isn't any places where 1 lane is separate from the rest, the phone / webcam options are not quite as good...

I have a usb parallel port adaptor, IR receiver, and IR LED's... Just need to decide if I go for a light bridge with the sensor in the bottom of the track, or if I put the led on one side of the slot, and the receiver on the other...

The bridge version is simpler, and more reliable, but the slot version is more discrete...

Hey Michael now that your so good at wireing the cross overs you can come and do mine for me, and bring your multi metre and help me fix all the voltage drops on my track.

Oh and I have a few more metres of track than you, I used 2 30m rolls of tape to do my track.

Cheers

Andrew

A man without a woman is like a neck without a pain.

No problems... Can do...

Cool, glad you could figure it out...

• 1 month later...

Painted a 'Beige' sandy coloured suede base coat on the track...

Painted a 'Pinky' muddy coloured 'drift' areas...

Still waiting on painting the green infield areas and adding things like Cones...

Shadows%20First%20Routed%20Track%20-%2009.jpg