shadow_rusty

Gymkhana Themed Test Track

It's Painted... At least for now...

It's supposed to look like Dirt, Mud and Grass...

But when I only had 3 colours, and I wasn't going to buy any more paint, it has worked well enough...

Now I need to find a bunch of 1/32 cones...

Shadows%20First%20Routed%20Track%20-%2010.jpg

Edited by shadow_rusty

The current Lap record is 4.420secs @ 9v over 5.44m using a PM controller (Thanks Graham... lol)...

That was done by a Scaley Start Enduro car that has only had 10g of lead added under the rear wing, the rear wing (which mounts to the chassis) separated from the body, and the rear 2 body screws loose.

The 4wd SCX Skoda is getting close as 4.550, but it really needs it's Tyres trued...

I didn't try too hard, but I believe that the Scaley Jags could also challenge it...

Edit: Forgot to mention, timing is currently done by Slot Car Trainer (Android) which has worked very well on all of my cars, except for the James Dean Porsche 550, which it almost never picks up...

Edited by shadow_rusty

Now I need to find a bunch of 1/32 cones...

I found these on our NZ Auction site Trademe (none listed right now).

conesj.jpg

They are for laying out race courses for mini RC cars but the cones are almost 1/32. Real cones are over waist height and these are a little taller next to a scale person. They just need a bit of weathering and the addition of two silver 'reflective' stripes around the top. As the NZ cones all have....

The tyre stacks are rubbish but may be ok in the background scenery of the "one day" big track...

Dick Smiths had them too but again none listed on their site now - You might find some on the shelves still over there?

You can see one in the orange mustang shot here.

http://www.auslot.com/forums/index.php?/topic/16221-wild-bunch-racing/

They were the cheapest things I added to my car-park/gymkhana track but gave me the most satisfaction... brought it to life kind of.

They are only toys .... until you pull the trigger.

Wow what a difference a few cones makes...

Starts to explain the reason for the course taken...

4x Cones are compliments of Fireman Sam toys (Which is about 1/30 scale or so), and the other 2x cones are from an unknown source (toy box).

Shadows%20First%20Routed%20Track%20-%2011.jpg

Thanks DM...

Whilst digital does work, with the PB4 that I have, it isn't very good as you can't limit the power...

But, with my brothers PB6, on about 50%, it feels similar to the 9v that I'm running analog on.

I would love to make a bigger track, but I just don't have anywhere for it...

So it's plastic track for me if I want a large track for the foreseeable future...

Another update to the track:

Moved the cones, and added some 'roped off' sections using wool and cut down pen lids...

Makes the whole track start to take shape, and give some reasons as to why it is shaped the way it is...

Definitely makes me want to do more scenery...

I think I'll make the roped off sections clumps of trees, and add trees around the outside...

Shadows%20First%20Routed%20Track%20-%2012.jpg

Edited by shadow_rusty

Looking good - like the trees idea and you can always transfer any scenery to a bigger 'one-day' track

They are only toys .... until you pull the trigger.

Thanks guys...

It's starting to look more and more like a Rally Special stage than a GymKhana stage...

You need a bigger track Michael, I know where you can get one. ;)

A man without a woman is like a neck without a pain.

Thanks Phil...

Currently trying to convince the wife that I need a permanent track...

Hoping for a 3 lane targa / hillclimb track... But it will probably be a 2 laner...

I already have a board at my Dad's place, so just need a decent router / bit and some more copper tape...

lol.