Qld Scale Auto And Oapr Lmp State Endurance Championships

Hi guys,

Please put in your 2013 schedule the 20th and 21st of April 2013 for non- stop racing at EE.au

Over the past few months I have been working on a variation of my annual enduro and after some discussion with some of you and a few interstaters the concept of a national event (in Queensland) has taken root. The idea is to start this at Ecurie Elite.au scale model car club.

- 1/24th Scale Auto GT SPRINT RACING using the 2013 NATIONAL rules - limited to 16 drivers on a first-come-first-to-enter basis, closing on the 12th of April to enable final arrangements and confirmation of schedules.

- A 4 hour TEAM ENDURANCE RACE using the OAPR LMP cars with the rules as proposed in 2012 - using the NSR 25000 EVO as a hand out motor - limited to 6 teams of 3 drivers. Again, entries will be on a first-come-first-to-enter basis, closing on the 12th of April to enable final arrangements and confirmation of schedules.

The schedule would end up something like this (and will be firmed up now that entries have closed - watch this space) - it is going to be tight, so everyone will have to be ready when called upon for the various stages:

- Open practice on Saturday the 20th from 2pm to 6pm.

- Scale Auto only practice on Saturday the 20th between 6pm and 8pm.

- LMP only practice on Saturday the 20th between 8pm and 10pm.

- Official Scale Auto practice on Sunday the 21st from 7.30am to 8.00am. (We will also mark the hand out motors for the Sprint racing during this time).

- Scale Auto 'Endurance' motor handout and shakedown from 8.00am to 8.30am.

- Scrutineering and concourse of Scale Auto cars at 8.30am.

- Scale Auto qualifying on one of the middle lanes (either Yellow or Blue will be specified before the session starts) at 9.00am.

- Scale Auto sprint race of 3 minutes per lane at 9.30am.

- Official LMP practice from 10.30am to 11.00am. (We will also mark the hand out motors for the Enduro during this time).

- NSR Evo motor hand out and shake down between 11.00am and 11.30am.

- Scrutineering and concourse between 11.30am and 12h00.

- Qualifying by one team member from each team on one of the middle lanes (either Yellow or Blue will be specified before the session starts) at 12h00.

- LMP endurance race will start at 12.15pm on the 21st. This race will finish when all teams have completed 4 hours of racing (one hour per lane) - so with the maximum teams we should be finish by 6.15pm.

We will fit a short lunch break into the schedule on Sunday.

I have had commitment from 5 endurance teams and 13 drivers. (A separate post has been made listing the entered teams and drivers).[/b]

The social should be good and lunch on Sunday will be organised at the track. (We'll order in from a local take away in the area for all other requests). Snacks and soft drinks will be on sale at the track.

The handout motors will be added to the entry fees ($15.00 per sprint racing motor and $22.50 per enduro motor). So sprint drivers will have to come up with $25 plus their own 12T pinion and enduro teams with $52.50 plus their own 11T pinion.

Regards,

JanR

Edited by Springbok Racer

'The older I get the faster I was.'

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are the regulations that will be used for the OAPR LMP Endurance race:

The 2013 OAPR Car Regulations V1.6 - (acknowledging its origin being the 2012 OEPS Guidelines).

OAPR – Open Australian Prototype Racing

1. DESCRIPTION

Any true 1/24 scale representation of a 1/1 LMP (Le Mans Prototype) car that has raced in the American Le Mans Series or the European Le Mans Series in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012.

All liveries must be of scaled down 1:1 appearance, however colour combinations and liveries from other modern (year 2000 to present) race cars may be used.

The Oreca Racing ‘FLM’ Formula Le Mans car is not classified as LMP1 or LMP2 in either the LMS or ALMS and therefore is not permitted to run in the OAPR.

2. WEIGHTS and MEASUREMENTS

2.01 Minimum total weight: 160.00 grams

2.02 Maximum front spur: 83.00 mm

2.03 Maximum rear spur: 83.00 mm

2.04 Minimum ground clearance at the start of the race: 1.00 mm

2.05 Minimum ground clearance during and after the race: 0.40 mm

2.06 Minimum front rim outer diameter: Ø21.00 mm.

2.07 Minimum front wheel outer diameter: Ø25.20 mm

2.08 Minimum front wheel width 6.00 mm

2.09 Minimum front rim width 6.00 mm

2.10 Minimum width of front tyre contact area 6.00 mm - minimal rounding of edges are allowed.

2.11 Maximum front wheel camber angle: 3.00°

2.12 Minimum rear rim outer diameter: Ø21.00mm.

2.13 Maximum rear wheel diameter: Ø 27.50 mm.

2.14 Rear wheel width and contact area always 13.00 mm – minimal rounding of edges are allowed.

2.15 Maximum width of main chassis plate: 78mm

3. MOTOR, GEAR AND PINION

3.01 The handout motor will be the NSR 25 EVO.

3.02 The pinion and spur gear is fixed at 11:44T M50 pitch respectively.

4. CHASSIS

NB! - The chassis is completely open provided it adheres to the specifications in these regulations. You may use any commercially available chassis, mix parts from various chassis, modify any part of the chassis as you see fit and even build your own chassis.

4.01 Only one part of the chassis that is allowed to enter the track slot, and this part may not have a longer contact area than 27 mm.

4.02 Differentials are not allowed. But any 3 mm axles may be used.

4.03 Magnets are only present in the motor, and are not allowed anywhere else on/in the chassis.

4.04 Chassis must have vertical movement, some of which must be sprung for suspension purposes.

4.05 All chassis assembly must be by means of bolts and nuts, no self-threading screws, solder or glue may be used.

4.06 The motor cannot be affixed to the chassis with solder.

4.07 Minimum and maximum wheelbase must always be centred within the front and rear wheel arches of homologated bodies.

5. WHEELS & INSERTS

5.1 FRONT WHEELS

5.11 The front wheels must make contact with the track or techblock over the full 6 mm, or more.

5.12 The use of cambered front wheels does not void in any way the rule regarding the minimum diameter, or the rule regarding the contact surface with the track or the tech block.

5.13 Front wheel diameter for cambered front wheels will be measured at the largest present diameter, which has to be respecting rule 2.07.

5.2 REAR WHEELS

5.21 Rear wheels must be Scale Auto ProComp 3 or Plafit rubber. Tyre dressing of any kind is not allowed during the official practise, qualifying or during the race. The race tyres may only be cleaned using tape or Shellite supplied by the race organization.

5.3 SPUR

5.31 None of the wheels may be visible when viewing the assembled car from above. Spur will be measured over the complete rims left and right, including wheel inserts.

5.4 WHEEL INSERTS

5.41 All 4 wheels of the car must be fitted with 3-dimensional (flat sheet or photo edged not allowed) wheel inserts, resembling the wheels of the real 1:1 car, during the entire race duration

6. BODY & ACCESSORIES

6.1Only vacuum formed 15 thou clear bodies are allowed. Provided these bodies have been homologated by the organisers at least 30 days before the event.

6.2 MATERIAL

6.21 Body must be manufactured and/or assembled from one or more of the following materials: PVC, PET, PETG or Lexan.

6.22 The exterior of the body has to accurately represent the 1/1 car. This is to the discretion of the scrutineers to judge(s). No widened, stretched, flattened or smoothed silhouette style bodies will be allowed.

6.23 The same materials are allowed for the interior, windows etc., rear wing, diffuser and small add-on parts. Lexan is allowed for a rear vertical aero wing e.g. 2011 Peugeot 908, etc. All wing mounts must be the correct shape and can be made from rubber or any of the other allowable body materials.

6.24 The body must cover all chassis and axle parts, so that no chassis part or axle part is visible when the car is viewed from above. This also includes the guide or any part thereof.

6.3 BODY INTERIOR

6.31 Interior must contain at least the following 3-dimensional items:

Dashboard (optional).

Steering wheel.

Painted driver figure with arms and legs.

Painted head/helmet combination in a hard plastic material.

Light inserts (and clear lenses).

6.4 BODY EXTERIOR

6.41 Bodies must be equipped with:

Front windshield and side windows if existing on the 1/1 race car

Front splitter if existing on the 1/1 race car

Rear spoiler /wing (may be made from flat sheet)

Rear view mirror(s) (optional)

Wiper (s) (optional)

Rear diffuser (optional)

Thank you for checking these out, please feel free to let me know if there is anything I need to explain.

Cheers,

Jan

Final entries for:

SCALE AUTO SPRINT RACING:

Norm Cash

Simon Wakelin

Dean Jaggard

Paul Stevens

Grant Kirkbeck

Lars Harrysson

Tim Tyler

Jan Roestorf

Kim Axton

Jason Kerr

Bruce Ambler

Gerald Adam

Garry Johnson

OAPR LMP ENDURANCE TEAMS:

Team Jokers - Lars, Tim and Jan

Team Narangba - Simon, Norm and Dean

Team Birkdale - Garry, Kim and Noel

Team Gold Coast Demons - Bruce, Jason and Mark Stockwell

Team Audi - Grant, Gerald and Andrew

No more entries will be accepted, the final schedule will now be worked out and published. Thank you to everyone who has entered. A great weekend of solid scale model car practice and racing is on the cards.

Cheers,

Jan

Did I read right In that there will be hand out motors for the Scale Auto sprints Jan ?

Noel

Yes mate, we will be using the SC-26 Endurance motor fitted with a 12T pinion (which each driver will have to provide and fit themselves).

Jan

Hi guys,

Perhaps I was not clear enough on the Sprint AND/OR Endurance entry requirements. By entering the one or the other, do not automatically give you an entry to the other, or visa versa.

You have to specifically enter the Sprint racing and you have to do the same but specifically as a separate entry for the Endurance. Of course a Team may enter without naming their drivers within the team until just before the closing of all entries. Should a team do this, it must be understood that their individual drivers will not have automatic entry into the Sprint racing. The individual team members must still be entered as individual Sprint drivers to take part in that event.

Cheers,

Jan

Jan, please put down a second Narangba Team for the OAPR Endurance race and I will round up a couple of Drivers, I will catch up with you about getting a car built soon (unless Dean has one and wants to join)

Team Narangba B (or Team Kiwi if Dean joins me)

we will work it out just put it in for now

Cheers

Paul

Edited by Paul NZ

Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I have been asked how the hand out motors will be handled.

- Two volunteer racers will take new motors from their packets and mark them in front of everyone. Immediately after, racers will choose their motor and install it into their car. Extra motors will be marked in case some one needs a replacement.

Cheers,

Jan

Hi Paul,

It was not the intention to sound too technical, only to be specific. I have now altered my post to be as simple as possible, but on the day we will do it as suggested earlier.

I can assure you that getting a slow motor is rather rare. On these cars, speed is more dependent on the car preparation and the driving style, than the motor.

How is it going with your team?

Cheers,

Jan

Hi guys,

I have been asked how the hand out motors will be handled.

- Two volunteer racers will take new motors from their packets and mark them in front of everyone. Immediately after, racers will choose their motor and install it into their car. Extra motors will be marked in case some one needs a replacement.

Cheers,

Jan

That looks like a nice simple way to ensure independence in the process. The object is for every team to feel like they had an equal chance when they picked their motor, and this appears to give them just that.

If the motors are as good quality as the NSR's we saw in Sydney, then we shouldn't have to worry too much about getting a nasty turd of a motor. I'm assuming that motor installation is done out in the open as well? If so, then I'd say all bases are covered.

Nice thinking!

13 times world wanking champion. Not proud of it.

Hi Paul,

It was not the intention to sound too technical, only to be specific. I have now altered my post to be as simple as possible, but on the day we will do it as suggested earlier.

I can assure you that getting a slow motor is rather rare. On these cars, speed is more dependent on the car preparation and the driving style, than the motor.

How is it going with your team?

Cheers,

Jan

Thanks Jan, I wasn't being to serious with my comments.

I have not had a chance to catch up with Dean, he will reply if he is learking but if you see him mention it, and I think one of the other Kiwi boys you have down your way will make it three, I will have a chat with them at Andrews on Friday

Looking forward to it

Cheers

Paul

Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

I really hope to see a few of you "Southern Racers" at Jans Race next month. You owe it to yourself to race on the best private setup I have seen anywhere.

Only a short drive from Dreamworld on the Goldcoast (dump the wife and kids there) you travel to a secret location only know to the chosen few along very private valley road criss crossing creeks in a secluded valley. When you arrive ( Hint, the building looks like a 747 plane at night without wings) its like going thru customs at the airport as Jan "frisks" you for any foreign particles that might upset the traction. ( O.K. that parts a bit over the top, but not by much) The "Shed" is virtually hermetically sealed, so combined with the hospital grade vinyl floor, insulation, and a bank of airconditioners (heat pumps to Southerners) the track temperature is just right for consistant race traction (TRUE!) The Track, especially built in SA (thats South Africa) is a true drivers track with elevation changes and tightening radius turns that really challenge and question the way you drive. You drive a turn, think you're going pretty good and then Gary J or Noel will blast past and you wonder.. just how much faster can I go in that turn? (The first track from the USA did'nt have the right driving feel so Jan (being Jan) just ordered another). On top of that, there are enough benches and seats for everyone for the food... ( oops sorry, and Slotcases ) because Jans wife makes the track Kitchen sing and the last race like this it looked like a pop up resturant! If you're coming check with Jan.. There are a couple of good racers not "teamed" yet so even if you just come for the Scaleauto event it will be a great experiance...

The only downside is you will go away from this event and just wonder what or who you should sell to get the same setup before you die... Ahh the bucket list..

Hi Kim,

Thank you for your very kind words - on a point of order though, I only frisk the fast guys....LOL. After all, it is the only way I can try to distract them and glean some secrets off their cars....LOL. Here is a link to what you've related to and of course what we hope to make even bigger and better this time round.

http://www.auslot.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15002-the-ecurie-elite-annual-3-hour-enduro/page__view__findpost__p__174267

Cheers,

Jan

UPDATE... NOW A ONE DAY EVENT ...

Just spoke to Jan.. Now all the teams are locked in there is enough time to dedicate all of Saturday to practise and car sorting.

Sunday is now race day and scrutineering for both classes. This will really suit "time poor" locals that can just turn up and race on the Sunday and also gives Non locals more time to "dial in" on Saturday.

Now that the racing is only on Sunday the entries are have to be limited so get your entries to Jan now he can plan the day ... Especially the food. :P

Edited by axman

Hi Jan

Quick question about ScaleAuto tyre/ride ht. rules . Is there a minimum rear tyre diameter ? Do you have to run the tyres straight out of the packet at 27.5mm ?

I sought of remember seeing a max/min dimension of 27.5/26.5 a while ago but can't find anything like that in the rules now .

I possibly even made it up .

Paul

Edited by paulthetexan

Hi Paul,

As this event will not have hand out tyres (where the hand out would be 27.5mm and has to be used as such) the only critical measurement will be the minimum ride height. So a car with less than 27.5mm rear wheel diameter, but with a minimum starting ride height of 1.8mm will be fine.

I hope that answers your question.

Cheers,

Jan

OOPS !!!!!!

Just call me Gilligan...... I'm just the innocent fool who askes the questions .

Paul,

Don't be too hard on yourself, obviously just your 'helpful-nature' coming to the fore. Anyway, the smallest rear tyre diameter that anyone can run (at the Qld EE.au event) will clearly be what the STANDARD rear axle holders allow one to get away with WHILST still having a minimum of 1.8mm ride height.

Don't set a trap for yourselves that will mean a rear wheel/ rear axle holders/main-plate change due to the ride height being manipulated 'ingeniously', but getting detected during scrutinising.

Cheers,

Jan