Milgun Park Raceway

GTR XU-1

There was once a track called Eastern Creek International Raceway. Not too long ago, the track was given a mild facelift and was reinvented to be known now as Sydney Motorsport Park.

Similarly, there was once a slot car track affectionately known as Copper Mill Raceway. The raceway has been closed for some time now, but is ready to be reborn. The track plans indicate that the undertaking will be so extensive, that the track owners have decided to open the track with a new name, Milgun Park Raceway.

Copper Mill Raceway was a 1960's style racetrack designed with the safety standards that you would come to expect of a vintage raceway. As with many Australian race tracks, the track struggled to evolve with the growing safety improvements required to meet local and international sanctioning bodies.

Milgun Park Raceway will be a race track of the modern era and such safety improvements will be factored in as default for the modern raceway providing greater satisfaction and confidence for the race drivers. ......

...alright enough rubbish. With time has come great review of the Copper Mill Raceway scenery and track layout. Originally the track scenery was going to remain unchanged, but with the money being invested into the whole system, I said to Kirk, lets look at all the things of the original track that we didnt like... and lets look at a full overhaul. The track scenery for one will be given a full overhaul and look like a modern FIA grade raceway. We like the concept of Monza being a vintage track that evolved over time and the uncluttered nature of the track side scape...so will aim to model a similar look.

Areas of the track that have been changed include from the original Ninco design include:

1) a fully functioning three bay (as much as we could fit) pit lane. You'll also note the tight entry to pit lane and slight chicane at exit to try to physically limit pit speeds. This included realigning the start straight to accomodate the space.

2) realigning the turn 2 hair pin. With the Ninco digital the tight hair pin was a crash zone with the speed differential off the start line.

3) Lengthened the second straight to relocate the 180 degree hair pin at turn 5 closer to the edge of the track (easier to reach)

4) Removed the kink at the top of the hill to provide more room at turn 5 and a clean pit entry.

The middle lane of the track measures 17.2m. Being digital (Scorpius) equal lane lengths is not a concern

A few of the track side items such as barriers are also shown although may be revised slightly here and there. These are shown as some of the barriers will need to be cut at time of CNC cutting.

White lines show the proposed tire barriers below

Grey lines show the concrete (painted timber) barriers

Purple lines are armco (triple W-beam barrier, not sure what thats called.

A lot of the barriers will have containment fences made from a scale woven stainless steel mesh also - but where it doesnt impede marshalling.

We are currently investigating track surfaces, but I do like the car dynamics on ferradore paint.

Below is a copy from autocad of the track design to date. The design is still subject to small changes and checks by a few autocad gurus.

Presenting....the design of Milgun Park Raceway.

MilgunParkRaceway170113.png

CNC routing is expected to start March 2013ish. The track scery is being stripped currently.

Dave

Nice to hear it's finally going to happen. We've been waiting...

Looking forward to watching it take shape.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Hi Dave,

Will it be going by mid-March as I am coming over to grand daughters's 1st birthday. Otherwise I might have to visit Syd again (hopefully on one of your club nites).

Regards and all the best with your new project.

Chas Le Breton

New Plymouth, NZ

Just a few technical details...

The aim was to achieve 120mm track edge distance on the outside of the turns for the outer lane. The places that don't (marginally - even if it still has 110-115mm), will have an extra strip (shown in yellow) - probably made to look like a concrete track over run strip (or flat ripple strip). This was done to keep the official track width constant (370mm). The only turn where 120mm edge distance to a barrier couldn't be achieved is the final turn (exit only) as it is the entry to the main straight. This was because David wanted the lanes centrally located on the main stariaght (85mm edge distance and 100mm between lanes) so the starting grid wasn't offset to one side or angled like the other straights (purely for aesthetics purposes)... to resolve this issue slightly, the final turn (from the apex) goes from constant radius curve into a fairly normal eliptical curve, then towards the very exit of the corner tapers into a long eliptical curve which gives a little more edge distance to the barrier and straightens the car more gradually over a longer distance. From a scenery point of view, most of the track will have at least a 30mm grass strip around it which allows more room for the rear of cars to swing out. All corners are eliptical on entry and exit, with constant radius at mid turn.

The pit lane curves and lane changers haven't been correctly drawn yet, but they won't take long (Dark blue was a bad slot colour choice in hindsight - looks alright in autocad though).

Lane changers will be 800mm long and one of the challengers was squeezing them into the ends of the track while maintaining reasonably smooth turns immediately before and after them.

The chicane and tight pitlane entry was added so we should be able to limit pitlane speed purely through physically driving the lane, as opposed to relying heavily on black flags for speeding using the Scorpius electronics.

Kirk

Edited by Captain

• 9 months later...

It has been a long while since the initial post for Milgun Park Raceway. Work has been progressing quite well...As good as we were planning so far in terms of quality, time wise, Kirk and I had hoped to be a little further along but at the same time, not rushing to forsake the quality.

I have attahced a couple of photos for those interested of the works as we have been going. We are further ahead of what the photos currently show but will add in future postings.

null_zps52c44da4.jpg

Demolishion and Clearing & Grubbing crews moved in on the old Copper MIll Raceway scenery

null_zps70b3f50a.jpg

Routed bourds primed, placed, screwed down and bogged.

null_zps755d2e24.jpg

....and patched work reprimed.

null_zps4f805297.png

Pit building construction

null_zps71989b40.jpg

Winners Rostrum

null_zps80e823e1.jpg

Pit Entry (with 'concrete' wall construction)

null_zps0f3375f1.jpg

Pitlane and start straight

null_zps019b5ab6.jpg

Grandstand Construction and pedestrian walkway

....and work continues.

Regards,

David Taylor

Edited by GTR XU-1

Looking great. Love the Pitts. Looking forward to so how it all looks when finished and how races.

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

Really looking forward to seeing this come together guys. Love what you've shown so far.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

just an idea but you said you wanted to limit the pit lane speed.

when you run the braid for pit lane off the main feed have you though about putting in a couple of diodes or resistors to limit the voltage for pit lane. that way you would get your speed limit in pit lane without affecting rest of the track.

pk

Thanks for the suggestion s13 and we have thought about that option. However, Scorpius requires a minimum of 8.5v to operate it and I don't think that would be low enough to simulate a pit lane crawl, but will keep it in mind. It's a pretty tight pit lane and we are confident that the pit lane speed will be restricted through sensible driving. First you have to negotiate the sharp right hander at pit entry (we may even have a strategically placed secured tyre bundle on the outside to foul anyone wanting to power slide around it - TBC), then you only drive between 200mm to 1500mm before having to pull into a bay - which is tight to say the least. The cars can drive in ok, but anyone wanting to use the recessed roller doors as a barrier to run off will find their cars catching on the building columns and could result in a deslot. Upon exiting your pit bay, cars then travel between 500mm to 2000mm before being confronted with the chicane (which will have tyre barriers around it, so anyone wishing to power through it, won't. So even between short trigger bursts, there is a lot of decelerating required and we doubt that any real speed will be achieved. On the large exit curve upon leaving pit lane, the edge of the track is closer to the slot than elsewhere on the track, so cars may not be able to fully power up without dropping a wheel off the track, which may require some concentration and restraint. The track edge drops 1mm into the grass area which has been recessed so that we can easily identify the track edge for line markings and so that scenery items like grass and sand traps will sit flush with the track as opposed to looking like they are just stuck on top of the boards. While I'm posting, I'll add that the 3 sets of lane changers on the longer straights were increased to 1000mm long.

• 3 weeks later...

First coat of ferrodor is applied to the whole track surface now. The track pavement marking is to be applied next followed by the final coat of ferrodor. Laying the braid shouldn't be too far after that. A couple of update photos below:

null_zps4fc093f9.jpg

null_zpsb2283b1e.jpg

null_zps52b8be0d.jpg

null_zps69304e3e.jpg

null_zpsaa1bcbcb.jpg

Dave

• Upvote 1

It's tracks like this that make me so jealous...

ps. Awesome job, looking great so far, can't wait to see it finished...

• 1 month later...

Line marking is underway (which includes the final coat of Ferrodor). Kirk has also recently completed the rumble strips. We should be ready to lay braid in about a weeks time. (For some reason I cant press enter and create a line break so it will be interesting how this post turns out) null_zpsc8fee474.jpgnull_zpsf80bbdbb.jpg null_zpsf78f2759.jpg null_zps73ee673f.jpg

Looks good Dave.

The problem you are having is between IE10 and the board's text editor. MS know of the conflict but won't fix it. Only solution is another browser, I'm afraid.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

This is looking fully sic :)

By the way Dave soon there will be a pit lane speed limiter on the controller (use the brake button). It will reduce speed to 20% PWM, 30% etc, whatever you want. Enter the value into the RMS and it will yellow flag you if you speed through the pits. :)

Edited by aussieslotter

Smoke, mirrors and obsolescence. It’s a jungle out there.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

If you turn on compatibility mode in IE10 or 11, you can then use the enter button again...

Love how your track is coming out... Can't be too long till it's finished...