1/24 72 Ford T Bird (its Huge)

newso

:o I've had this (car) body for a while now and thought it was about time I started doing something with it.

Its from Arii(again) and its b****y huge! 128mm wheelbase with a 83mm front and rear track.Never saw this model on the track........but then again, does that matter?

My old Dodge Daytona body has been well used and abused for 3 years now so nows as good a time as any to put the T Bird to work.

More pics to follow soon.

sideview71tbird.jpg

terry

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly there,decals done and about to put the interior in and give it a few finishing touches,and of corse a couple of coats of sealer.

TBird7.jpg

Like I said its big,doesn't always mean its going to be a goer,but it will be fun to see it on the track with other 1/24's

terry

Looks sensational.

There is definitely a lot of talented people out there when you see the standard of work that is presented here day after day.

Well done, newso

Dave

"I spent most of my money on beer, women and slot cars. The rest I just wasted."

Tbirdchassis9.jpg

bodymounts.jpg

Hi Phil,the chassis is from MJK,a 005 I think,gearing is 10:43 cox sidewinder 15mm wide rears,rear tyres are vintage Classic slicks.

Body mounting has been designed to incorporate some movement and here I took a rubber tapered plug from Clark rubber,drilled out the centre to give it a more flexible feel,then mounted into the top connectors which I got from Jaycar Electronics,there is some movement in the finished product,however I may still have to back off the mounting screws for more movement.

terry

Hi Terry,

Verry nice.

Hope it goes as well as it looks.

As far as the interior goes, only one I know of is the Q Model from Werner.

Or, if you want to scratch build something, go back to your school days and papier mache.

Way back in the good old days, I modeled custom interiors in plasticine, then papier mache over them.

You end up with a light weight paper shell that can be painted etc.

You could make a papier mache floor over the chassis, put some plasticine over the chassis to create the required clearance, then work up from there.

:)

Steve K.

• 3 weeks later...

Well.........due to a series of unforeseen circumstances I haven't had the chance to get to the track for a while now,illness in the family and all...but now we seem to be over that and i can start looking towards running the beast down at hornsby.

I did a better interior(???) and I'm sort of happy with the result but the roll cage is a bugger to do,its trying to get all those angles right!

I'll be happy to give a track report as soon as i give it a run.

terry

• 4 weeks later...

Well,at last the T Bird took to the Hornsby track a few nights ago(last friday actually)and its a different experience!

For a start its feels big,it seems to lurch from one corner to another and absolutely dwarfs anything else thats on the track at the same time.Handling wasn't too bad as the track had been prepped well and I think it ended up doing around the mid 7 secs.Most of our top stockers run at 7.2-7.5 secs.

Will it be a top runner?Don't know really,the motor felt a little weary and may be overdue for a comm true and brushes,we'll see.

Things at home slowly(very slowly)returning to "normal"(whats that?)

Terry