dangermouse

Blue Ridge Parkway - 2 Lane Routed Track

The rocks are moulded aren't they? What moulds did you use?

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

The rocks are from a woodland scenic moulds - I have had them from my train modelling. In the scene with the Lola - the top rocks are a mix of moulded rocks and bits of dried plaster from the mixing tub. I sifted a layer of with fine dirt from my yard onto them. I should take a proper photo of it with a good camera instead of the iPhone.

maybe I will do a rock album feature and post a link to it : )

I was inspired by this photo

lonetreeBlueRidgeParkway_zps11f16cbe.jpg

Edited by dangermouse
  • Upvote 1

Thanks all for the kind words
Bit of a pause in scenery making as I run a few cars. Already I am thinking one of my esses is to twisty. A mate is coming over tomorrow for a run, I will see what he thinks.

Here are a couple of shots for fun.
file_zpsd9d34f6d.jpg

file_zpsd607c757.jpg

Edited by dangermouse

Really like the rocks they look great.

See you took embers advice and added a bit of light to the tops of the trees, works really well.

Cheers Grant

20191120172309-193d8f3b.gif.......................................................20170306174707-b4015afe.gif

Home Track..........Corvette C1 Build..........McLaren M1A Build..........Maserati 300S Build..........Allard J2 Build..........50's Diner..........Iso Griffo A3C

3D Printed Adjustable Chassis..........3D Print Projects

I spent about 3 hrs running cars on this track yesterday with David , it`s a great track.

Really good grip with the suede effect paint, convinced me to put a coat of it on my new track.

Flows really well, lotsa fun, The back strait with the hump is reall good, the esses were not too twisty.

Ran a number of cars, go-karts, classic GP, modern F1, LMP, NC1 classics, rally cars, MSC Group B cars , all went really well.

The little rally track is a blast as well :)

download_zpsca54c868.jpg

Edited by mondeoman

If it doesn`t have wheels and an engine it`s not sport!

I really like the look and feel of your track...

I can't wait to see you finish the infield...

ps. So jealous that you have the space for a track like this... lol.

This track is awesome DM, I havent been keeping up with others track builds for awhile.

Great work with the background, really dig the green hills and clouds!

I love tight and twisty tracks, this looks top shelf. cant wait to see it complete.

Love,

Kai smileyhawk.jpg

Finally stopped running cars (well not really) and started adding some more scenery.

Foam to make the basic form.
null_zpsa86c3698.jpg

null_zps970b0263.jpg

Coloured joint compound (I tint with some brown paint) dip dish clothes in it and smooth them over the foam.
null_zpsa1dcefca.jpg

null_zps5103f1b0.jpg

Making a pond
null_zpsa02ae31f.jpg

cheers
David

Edited by dangermouse

Started holidays on Friday, one of the first things I wanted to do was fix up a part of the track I wasn't happy with.

This section had been bothering me because it blocked the view of one turn and it presented some challenges I didn't like in the scenery department.
cc8dccb6-9e89-4047-b837-0ca15b50536e_zps

So I decided to swap the overpass over. I like it now - opens the front up - gives me better options for scenery at the back (no 20cm shear cliff faces) just gives a nicer flow as far as I can tell and no blocked views - the short time the car is under the bridge is no worse than it was before...

I expect to get a lot more scenery done now as this was holding me up.

0E50AF27-C5C4-49EE-92B2-0F12A143285D_zps

B399E1A9-A172-48D3-B472-D517DE937400_zps

Edited by dangermouse
  • Upvote 1

Now that works much better. Sometimes it doesn't matter how much planning you do the problems don't show out until they're set in wood.

Now get on with it!

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Funnily enough this was the way I originally intended to do it, but after a bit of navel gazing I followed the general advice to have the straighter part go under rather than over the bridge area....

Edited by dangermouse

I have been making some progress there is a lot more to go - lots of grass and bushes and tress.

Picked up a static grass applicator they work well
562C77AF-6F9B-4B88-9FE7-C216EE2593E6_zps

ABCC22C6-1664-4015-89E6-73F5C78F57B8_zps

DD8F6F3C-90A4-4961-8339-2CD1EDE01E4B_zps

1D046FED-857B-4C8F-941F-7170A6564EB1_zps

Edited by dangermouse

Great fun the grassanators, eh.

Looking really good, are the new rocks moulded or styrene?

Cheers Grant

20191120172309-193d8f3b.gif.......................................................20170306174707-b4015afe.gif

Home Track..........Corvette C1 Build..........McLaren M1A Build..........Maserati 300S Build..........Allard J2 Build..........50's Diner..........Iso Griffo A3C

mix of both

I played around with expanding foam - (won't go there again) but most of the rocks are moulded - some are joint compound over foam

cheers
DM

I may have lost some images - some updates on progress to date

CD01B034-EA6C-4CB4-B0A6-94ECCCF929F2_zps

1866A5F0-BA13-47F6-BA4C-766C71E2FADB_zps

Started working on the drainage ditch, the wall is made rock by rock - needs to be finished off but it has the desired effect..

556D5990-728D-4370-874B-BBA49C49FBD8_zps

Top stones are a bit up and down - will look at them again in the morning and decide whether I need to straighten them a bit or not. Fence will be painted and weathered
My next project is a big stone wall around the top curve...still looking for inspiration for that one - I plan on it being about 15mm wide and 20mm high.

Edited by dangermouse
  • Upvote 1

Yup. Rightfully so.

I'm going to have to pay some silly price for freight and get a sheet or 2 of that XPS insulation. Was yours branded at all David?

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

That looks Sweet As DM...

So wish I had the time / space / skills to make a track like this...

Big wall is nearly done, some fine detailing left

Construction on this one was a piece of balsa wood 6.5mm thick cut into 8mm strips I then coated with white glue and sand for a textured finish. I then cut rocks into it using a little cutting jig, (5 old x-acto blades on a block of wood) so that I could have evenly space blocks. The wall is about 18mm high and 2 strips wide so around 14mm, the top is plaster shaped and then grooves put in when semi-dry.

photo3_zps6a70e112.jpg

Close up

photo2_zps0e25905a.jpg

Edited by dangermouse

Bloody Brilliant, thanks for the details as well more ideas for me to steal.

Cheers Grant