Blue Ridge Parkway - 2 Lane Routed Track

dangermouse

Hello all
I have started building my new track. I decided to call it the Blue Ridge Parkway.

I was looking for names and came across the actual Blue Ridge Parkway and decided it fitted with what I wanted for my track.

I looked up 'Parkway' and in the US "the word was expanded to include limited-access highways designed for recreational driving of automobiles, with landscaping. These parkways provided scenic routes without very slow or commercial vehicles, at grade intersections, or pedestrian traffic.

Sounded just what I wanted a scenic place for recreation driving. The Blue Ridge Parkway seems such a lovely place, with some nice scenic elements. As I am also incorporating a model railroad in the space I might call it the Blue Ridge Narrow gauge line and use some of the scenic elements like the Mabry Mill and the old farm houses,

Here are the some early build shots with my chief router and foreman :) and a video of a battery powered car doing a lap.
(The car doesn't grip on some of the tighter turns)

AEB255AE-3DE4-4666-BED0-26512662B191-536
E7542DA5-216A-4B51-89CD-BB35B94491F7-536
38462DE8-A685-410C-95ED-E1DA14C1166B-536

Will keep posting updates here

cheers
David Edited by dangermouse

Hi Neil, yes I think there will be a few trees.

I am also planning on incorporate the Blue Ridge Viaduct into the scenery is some manner or form. I do have a couple of spots in mind, or I may make the whole back straight into the viaduct including half the turns at the right end.

I have 4 different scaled trains set ups - but the main one for the track will be 1/48 ON30 - this allows me to run HO trains as well. I also have N Scale and thought about putting a loop around the outside of the board to run these as well, they make for impressive long trains, plus I have the original Bullet Train as well.

My slot/train space is 2.4m wide by 8m long so what I am planning is 4.8x1.2 slot track and 2.4 x 1.2 with a little bit extra on one side for a yard. I will be doing this layout - I like it because it has 5 bridges :)

cheers

David

Edited by dangermouse

Hey DM,

Might wanna put some F22's on the battery car :D .

Got my pre-ordered Sideways Zakspeed JPS Capri the other day and it was just as wild out of the box.

Track looks like it might be a fast one, keen to follow its progression.

My thoughts re the elevations around the track.

Thinking of putting a viaduct on the front right turn and along the back straight - not sure how far maybe 1/3 of the straight

33F5EDD5-2C11-4E9D-B218-414791063C63-555

thanks for all the kind words

will keep regular updates happening.

Found lots of photos on the net, of rustic fences, dry stone walls and roads curving around rock faces.

cheers
David

(Thanks KK I do have the 3M masks as well with the little filter on the front - nasty stuff that gets in everything that MDF dust)

Edited by dangermouse

Looking the business DM...

Definately agree that the tunnel should be this way...

Stolen%20From%20SlotsNZ.gif

Stolen from SlotsNZ

Team ABC Team Leader

(Ambitious, But Crap)

Home Track Threads - Shadow's Semi-Permanent Layout & Another Rug Racer & Proud of It & Gymkhana Test Track

Car Collection Thread - My Car Collection

Charts / Diagrams - MJK Tyre Selector / Slot.it 4wd Gearing / PoliCar Rollout / Rollout Chart Generator / SCX 4wd Rollout / Track Wiring with Brake on Track Call

Surely there's room for more climb than that. Go on. You know you want to.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Of course you can get it. The question is more 'how far do you want to push it'

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great DM. How did the strips go ?

Real good mate, they worked well, there are 4 of them now - a long wide one for straights and 3 (long, medium and short) narrow ones for curves.

Neil

I wish it was hassle free - I first started thinking of making a new track Christmas 2011 :) so don't give up yet - I will email you my folder of collected ideas. My biggest hassle is I wanted it all, I wanted as much track as I could get and I wanted to be able to run my trains as well. hopefully my idea for making that work will actually work.

• 4 weeks later...

Well after many planning and shuffling and fiddling around, my dad came over while I was at work today and managed to put in some permanent risers for the elevations. You may notice some slight differences between the photos above and these shots.
I have run my battery car around and it goes fine.

So if I can find a bit of time I might have it running in a couple of weeks, hole filing and sanding and undercoat this week and then paint it next week...I am still undecided on paint. I used gloss paint on my last track but I am thinking about using a suede effect paint on this one after reading davnic's thread....decisions decisions

cheers
David

3B100E0C-B012-4DEE-858E-14A2AB0B44FC-470
26939070-FB04-41A0-B97A-5D64F3B70687-470
DA776F56-5F8A-49BB-9690-88AC1BEA3BEB-470 Edited by dangermouse

Looks awesome DM... Its getting there slowly... (Bit like my capped interwebs... lol)

Stolen%20From%20SlotsNZ.gif

Stolen from SlotsNZ

Team ABC Team Leader

(Ambitious, But Crap)

Home Track Threads - Shadow's Semi-Permanent Layout & Another Rug Racer & Proud of It & Gymkhana Test Track

Car Collection Thread - My Car Collection

Charts / Diagrams - MJK Tyre Selector / Slot.it 4wd Gearing / PoliCar Rollout / Rollout Chart Generator / SCX 4wd Rollout / Track Wiring with Brake on Track Call